cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gsm

AdamLove
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can I use GSM phone with public mobile....

21 REPLIES 21

@popping 

Unlike other credit cards I have that have 90 day purchase protection my rbc avion visa infinite that i have for its travel/medical insurance now has device protection insurance included. I thought it was for travelling only but its for anytime and covers lost, stolen and/or damage ( like replacing a cracked screen.) It has $10/$15 deductible +2% for each month (since purchase) of purchase price. In the case of damage they may choose to buy out the phone if the cost of damage repair exceeds the "current" value to refund you the value and they may or may not ask for you to send them the phone or they may blacklist it or they may let you keep it.

You must fully purchase the phone or pay all your phone bills and device subsidy for your entire contract for it to be covered. For this reason despite having amazon gift cards i used my credit card knowing my bf's propensity for losing/damaging phones it was going to be inevitable that i would be making a claim.

@popping you should try downloading a modded version of gcam, and test it out. I'm sure it'll improve the quality of the picture.

from what I've read you can have night sight working on that phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AdamLove I'm confused.  The model is S30, but what's the brand of this phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping

@darlicious 

Good point about the buying with credit card with extended warranty insurance and first 3 months buyer protection. Unfortunately, I purchased my A5 Pro with GC on Amazon.  I will remember to use my cc to buy another UMIDIGI mid level phone.

@popping

Of the limited time I had to use the camera on the A5 pro until the bf lost it I was pretty happy with it with the exception of the poor low light capabilities. Mind you it couldnt compete with my galaxy A3 but has some good qualities that I think the average user would be pretty happy with the cameras capabilities. If bought at the $130 price point compared to the load of crap at that price point like the Maxwest or an RCA priced even higher or many other phones.....its an excellent deal. Spend $100 more and get a deal on the F2 and youll be really happy.

The repair in China problem is easily solved with the purchase of the phone on a credit card with device insurance. Originally I was going to make a claim to replace the cracked screen when the bf dropped the phone (on concrete) once he stopped using the protective case (dont ask) but he managed to lose it 3 weekes later. Im awaiting my cheque $112.90 ($10 deductible +2% of value per month.)

popping

@darlicious wrote:

@AdamLove 

There are lots of members with umidigi phones including @will13am  @popping  @gblackma   @Clive  @justicebeans  @CFPartDeux  and a few others...the A5 pro is reg $175 with case and screenprotector $130 on a lightning sale taxes and shipping included. A phone on wish that doesn't tell you the brand is always worrisome.

I treat my A5 Pro as disposable phone as it is expensive to send my A5 Pro to China for warranty repair or replacement.  Don't compare A5 Pro against the flagship phones.  It is mid level phone at entry level price.

It is nice that UMIDIGI supplies the screen protector and case.  When I got it in November, the camera did not past my test.  After a few firmware updates, the camera is getting better.  Please note that my camera expectation is low.  The volume was not high enough during a phone call.  I found an instruction on adjust internal settings.  It is fine now.  It you don't want to change the internal settings, you can install Volume Booster GOODEV app.  I am still happy with my purchase after 6 months. 

@CFPartDeux 

My apologies I must have mixed you up with someone else!

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@AdamLove 

There are lots of members with umidigi phones including @popping  @gblackma   @Clive  @justicebeans  @CFPartDeux  and a few others...

Not me.....

@AdamLove 

There are lots of members with umidigi phones including @will13am  @popping  @gblackma   @Clive  @justicebeans  @CFPartDeux  and a few others...the A5 pro is reg $175 with case and screenprotector $130 on a lightning sale taxes and shipping included. A phone on wish that doesn't tell you the brand is always worrisome.

@AdamLove wrote:

It only says S30 2020

It says it works on 4G LTE and 5G. So likely, it will work with Public Mobile, but not sure fully or partially with some frequencies. For this reason, you must find out its specifications. If you can't, there are other phones out there for that price as mentioned by darlicious.

AdamLove

It only says S30 2020

AdamLove

Its a 2020 new cell phone

With finger print and face recognition

@AdamLove 

Even if it is compatible unless you are getting for less than $50 a 2015 phone isn't worth it. If your price range is $100 to $200 look at the umidigi A3 series, A5 pro and F1, F2 phones on Amazon.ca. Even at regular price you will get way more bang for your buck.

AdamLove

I can order this phone on wish website

@AdamLove wrote:

15899917048972074306135.jpg

That looks like a new design phone. Please find out the model and see its specification. 

@AdamLove  S30 will work, but is it Galaxy S30? I guess it is still not released, no?

AdamLove

I want to buy this...

20200520_122402.jpg

AdamLove

15899917048972074306135.jpg

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire
@AdamLove
Telus operates on 850/1900 HSPA frequencies. This is not GSM retro compatible and so you have to ensure the phone from Asia is HSPA compatible. LTE frequency for Telus should be 700 band.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@AdamLove No, you cannot. Public Mobile only supports 3G and LTE. 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Most current phones sold in Canada will work. GSM only phone will not work.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Do you have a specific phone in mind?

You can check for phone compatibility here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

or 

https://willmyphonework.net/

Need Help? Let's chat.