cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Text (MMS) - Unable to send

mimichan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Motorola One Action Android phone. 

Within the past month, I have been unable to send/reply to group texts. 

I would send a message and it would be stuck on "sending..." for an infinite amount of time. 

MMS is turned on, but even if I had switched back to SMS, it still wouldn't send to all members of the group

Resetting phone yielded nothing

APN values match the Public Mobile website

I can send individual texts and reply but it is group texts that is the issue. 

11 REPLIES 11

mimichan

It appears sorted. 

I am genuinely shocked, surprised and grateful of all your help and advices!!

Thank you 🙂

mimichan

Resetting the APN did the trick.

I didn't do the rest of the steps (11-15), in case it made it all messy again.

Thanks!!

mimichan

Both Android and iphone user (just one iphone in the 6 person group) are equally not getting anything 🙂

mimichan

Hi, 

Sorry, it isn't an Iphone but Android Motorola One Action 🙂

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@mimichan check your group messaging settings and make sure everything is set up correctly.

• Go to Messages > Settings
  • Touch Advanced
  • Touch Group messaging

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dunkman wrote:

@mimichan 

Is your data working properly?  Data turned on?  Need data for MMS messaging.  

Is there a pattern to the users not able to receive the group texts?  ie. iPhone users?  From my experience, group messages with different phone users can be an issue.  For example, if some of the group uses Android, while others uses iPhone, then the group message sometimes does not work well.  

Agree.  Sending and receiving text is two way street.  Both parties need to be on the same protocol.  iPhone iMessage app has its own protocol.  In order for iPhone user to send/receive group MMS to/from Android phone, enable SMS and group MMS on iMessage settings.  Therefore, if you friend is using iPhone, ask your friend to update the setting.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-enable-mms-on-iphone

The following image is from Businessinsider.com

popping_0-1590681859665.png

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimichan 

If the text message app does not work with group MMS, try the Google Messages App.

I use it over a year and has not failed to send/receive group MMS.  Make sure to enable data because MMS will not use wifi.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en_CA

If your friend is using iPhone iMessage app, ask your iPhone friend to update the iMessage settings according the my post following to this post.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mimichan  When using Wi-Fi you still need data to be turned on in order to send MMS.

pharaohpeter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mimichan  Did you set your APN settings for the phone? If not, you will have to do that to be able to send MMS.

Here's a useful guide to helping you set the phone up properly:
https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/motorola/one-action/android-9-0/guides/27/Set-up-MMS-Mot...

Good luck!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@mimichan 

Is your data working properly?  Data turned on?  Need data for MMS messaging.  

Is there a pattern to the users not able to receive the group texts?  ie. iPhone users?  From my experience, group messages with different phone users can be an issue.  For example, if some of the group uses Android, while others uses iPhone, then the group message sometimes does not work well.  

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@mimichan 

Do you have your data turned on when you are trying to send MMS? You will need your data on in order to take part in either of those functions. 

Found this webpage might be helpful from about Iphone: 

https://www.imobie.com/support/iphone-not-receiving-group-texts.htm

"You should know that your iPhone, by default, sends group messages as MMS messages not an SMS message. But in order to be able to send and receive group messages, you need this functionality activated. If one or more of your contacts are not receiving group messages on their iPhone, then you should first check if you have activated group messages on your device."

Need Help? Let's chat.