cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great options for unlocked phones - Nokia is back!

helloPM
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I got a Nokia 6.1 for use on PM and I'm extremely impressed with it. 

There are plenty of reviews out there so I won't go into too much detail other then to say that it - and all of the Nokia 2018 models - are "Android One" phones so the software is like a Nexus/Pixel phone - no bloatware and no wierd skins.  Just Android and a single Nokia support app, and updates from Google.

I paid US$270 + 40 for duties, taxes, and shipping from B&H - the main negative of this phone is that it is not available in Canada so I had to order from the US.  And with the CDN dropping and the americans messing us around on trade this is unfortunate, but it still seems like a great deal to me.

Beyond having to order from the US, I can't think of anything negative to say about this phone other then that it is very slippery so you should order a grippy case with it.

It's LTE bands are 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20, 28, 38.  I believe this model is designed to work with the US GSM carriers: AT&T and T-Mobile.  So far I always seem to be connected on band 7.    The cell signal indicator always says 4G but I ran a couple cell info apps to re-assure myself that this is 4G LTE, not the old fake 4G.

Don't get the Nokia 6 (2017) by mistake - it's not Android One - and I'd be wary of getting the international model due to it having less of the relevant LTE bands.  I also saw the Android Police review of the Nokia 7 Plus today and they gave it a very enthusiastic recommendation too in spite of their placing little importance on it being Android One.

(I declare that I have no financial or professional interest in this recommendation and I'm not a bot!)

10 REPLIES 10

helloPM

Yes, while these new Nokia phones are designed by people from the old Nokia, I think the connection with the old Nokia is pretty minimal now.

My main interest in this new Nokia is that they have gone all in on Android One, letting Google do most of the software work so they can focus on the hardware, to the benefit of the consumer who gets a much nicer software experience (IMO) and the guarantee of updates.

Models like the Nokia 6.1 may very well be nice phones.  I haven't tried any of them, but there is something to consider.  Many of use used Nokia phones back in the infancy of the cellular industry. It almost seemed like they almost had a monopoly on the market.

I wonder how truly these phones are "real" Nokias. It's been so long since Nokia made their own phones, and at one point they were even allowing other manufacturers to just slap a Nokia badge on a seemlingly random product.  Then there was the sale to Microsoft and then some former Nokia people buying elements of the company back to create a new corporation.  The company might be very diluted at this point compared to how it was in the days of the Nokia that we want to remember.

People used to go out of their way to get Nokia devices, but I think that customershave moved on, so I am unsure of how much HMD is going to be able to captialize on the use of the Nokia brand.  It's gonig to have to be based on the popularity, price, and quality of the prooducts now, rather than trying to rely on past Nokia company glory.

helloPM

Just be sure you get the North American submodel.

I saw that there were some listing for Asian one where they weren't being upfront or clear about it.

Mine is Nokia 6.1 TA-1045.

JoeCool
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you! I just bought this phone off Amazon (Goig for $320 CDN) and was relieved to find this post. I'd be very sad if it didn’t work with Public Mobile.

helloPM

no problem.

broutilde

Like I said I got confused because apparently I CAN'T READ. I'm so sorry 😕

helloPM

I don't understand what about my post confused you.

My post was about the Nokia 6.1.  You are talking abou the Nokia 7 Plus.  Different phones so different compatibility.

broutilde

Hi,

I've been looking into the Nokia 7 Plus for a while now, but I read everywhere that's LTE is not available for this phone on Public Mobile...

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/nokia-7-plus

I'm quite confused after reading your post now.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

B&H is a great shopping site for stuff not available in Canada. Their shipping is amazing.  This Nokia looks interesting.  Good that it's packed with a ton of bands making it a great world phone.  At $300 USD for a snapdragon 630, the value is meh.  Being a Koodo customer also, I have convenient access to their phone deals.  For less money, the essential phone is better value.  It's unfortunate there won't be a PH-2.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Thanks, looks great except for the processor maybe...

Sounds like a good alternative to the Moto G5, bigger screen, NFC, dual SIM...

If I had to buy a phone it would be on the short list for sure!

Need Help? Let's chat.