cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google messenger chat features

esaad86
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Glad to see chat features finally enabled in Google messenger app. Wasn't working for me in the past, seems like it just started today. Now I can send/receive sms over wifi and get read receipts as well. Very much needed as I struggled walking around my house with poor signal for my sms messages to go through

12 REPLIES 12

_Cupcake_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I also had the "Your device does not currently support this feature" problem on my UMIDGI Power 3 with Android 10. It is a dual sim phone. 

I can enable chat features by making public mobile the default sim for data, calls, and SMS. 

I found that check in Google Messages online help centre.

#5 Check your SIM: If you’re using a multi-SIM card devices, make sure the same SIM card is enabled for both Call and data.

it works for me. Hope it helps. 

@popping my Umidigi F1  supports the features. I got the notification. I turned it off. Stay safe. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

Since I don't know the advantages of the new features (although I could research them), I suppose it's not a priority to me to get this working. In a way, I don't see the need to have yet another app that requires data to be used.

@computergeek541 main features are typing indicator, delivered and read receipts.  That's really about it.  If you're already using Google's Messages app for your SMS/MMS, then you don't need "yet another app", it's built in.  I believe Samsung is also adding it to their stock sms app (whatever it's called) as well.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@LurganIeUk  Google chat features is Google's version of iMessage for Android. So if both parties have it, texts/MMS go out using WiFi or data. If not available it goes out as a SMS or MMS via Public Mobile's network.

@popping  It's working on my Umidigi F2. Don't think it's Umidigi you just have to update to the latest Google Messages version.

If also works on a F1 do assuming it should work on other Umidigi models as well.

@will13am wrote:

It looks like chat access is still being rolled out very slowly.  None of my accounts are enabled yet.  Hangouts still works.  I don't mind if they never move people over to chat.  There was nothing wrong with hangouts which has served me well for years.  

I'm not sure it make that much of a difference to me if it's available to me or not. Since I don't know the advantages of the new features (although I could research them), I suppose it's not a priority to me to get this working. In a way, I don't see the need to have yet another app that requires data to be used.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I installed Googles Messages app since I got my UMIDIGI A5 Pro with Android 9. 

Tried to enable Chat feature.  But the Googles Messages app gave me "Your device does not currently support this feature"

Then, I tried my old LG G5.  It supports Chat feature.

There is nothing magic about the Chat feature.  It is just another protocol called RCS.  I have the latest Google Messages app installed.  Therefore, the RCS software is part of the Google Messages app.  The only explanation is that UMIDIGI did not put the RCS code in their Android 9 ROM.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@esaad86 wrote:

Glad to see chat features finally enabled in Google messenger app. Wasn't working for me in the past, seems like it just started today. Now I can send/receive sms over wifi and get read receipts as well. Very much needed as I struggled walking around my house with poor signal for my sms messages to go through

Does that mean that you have a different number for Google Chat and PM and you are texting using both numbers?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It looks like chat access is still being rolled out very slowly.  None of my accounts are enabled yet.  Hangouts still works.  I don't mind if they never move people over to chat.  There was nothing wrong with hangouts which has served me well for years.  

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@esaad86 Wow, great info, thanks! Yes it is indeed useful!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @esaad86 ,

That's great!

Did you also know you could share files and high-resolution photos? As long as both parties involved have the chat feature enabled.

🙂

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@esaad86 wrote:

@esaad86 that's great to hear it should make a lot of people happy

Need Help? Let's chat.