cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 3: install sim card

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I am confused. My new phone is dual sim itcomes with an e-sim (as shown) and room for a nano sim. Either I am completely missing the obvious.....but where does my pm sim card go?

Here is the sim card tray with the e-sim.Where does the pm sim card go?

22 REPLIES 22

Anyone wanting to see testing of the cameras of the moto g7+, google pixel 3 and the samsung galaxy A320 can find the moved thread "Phone___Camera___Action!" in the lounge.....

....another case if trying to create some user content to be abyssed yet again!!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Phone-Camera-Action/m-p/704544#U704544

Needless to say I transferred my data etc....over from my A3. Set up wifi for updates and opened the developer options and enabled the OEM. Still haven't put a sim card in yet so I'm not handling the phone more than I have to before I get a case and screen protector for it. There will be some photos taken tonight...

@gpixel 

Don't tempt me or I will have the same amount of phones to go with my sim cards from CCS!

@og2 

Yes the astro photography capabilities are pretty aweome and if I could justify the expense that of course I would want it..... justified to myself a $185 phone I couldn't justify a $400+ phone. Especially one with an esim thats practically useless to me!

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541  @will13am @Anonymous @softech @og2 

Thank you for all of the advice, suggestions and explanations especially when it comes all that techno-babble that I can understand about as well as I do greek. And I worked for greeks for 25 years! But to the point I wanted to make sure I could overcome the "verizon variant" issue and the age of the phone.

Seeing as I am still pretty happy with my A320 running Android 8 its biggest issue is paltry by today's standards 16GB storage capacity that cannot be expanded when using the dual sim. Camera wise it can still hold its own when compared to my moto g7+. They both have their advantages and drawbacks.

I much prefer the way the A3 processes colour ( kodak style) with true black and warmer red/yellow tendencies. The A3 has the ability to filter colour by changing the angle of the image taken there is no such ability to do so ( that I have discovered yet) in the moto g7+ and if there is... it takes too long to be able to capture the moment.

The moto g7+ has the cooler blue/green hues of fujifilm and slightly  sharper image quality in low light and full light but loses the ability to properly process colour when there is contrast and black most noticeably turns to sepia and colour takes a dull turn. The 8× zoom twice the size of the A3's relies far too much software to fill in the blanks at dusk and dawn that it borders on cartoonish. The details and sharpness of image for nightscapes are a marked improvement over the A3. 

Viewing the images captured in this article I personally don't see that much of a difference in the quality of the images (with the exception of the night sky shots) to justify paying more than double for the google pixel 4a over the pixel 3.

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/pixel-4-vs-pixel-3-camera-faceoff 

The gsm arena camera comparison tool that I just discovered is great for over all image vs specs but its monochromatic palette only tells one story of camera performance. There are marked differences in low light especially with the A3. How the camera captures light is just as in important if not more so in my opinion and that can only real be done with real world testing...... coming soon!

Phone cost: A3 (Dec. 2017) $455  Moto g7+ (Dec. 2020) $180  Pixel 3 (July 2021) $185

Screenshot_20210709-144859~2.pngScreenshot_20210709-144554~2.pngScreenshot_20210709-144456~2.png

We are greeks with the r.  😏

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious 

pixel 6 is coming out soon. I will give you a good deal on my pixel 4 👍. maybe at the end of November

og2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@darlicious 

Pixel 4a has the same 1.7 aperture as the Pixel 4. It has better low light photos and brings up the shadows so you don't lose quality in the darker areas. Plus better astrophotography photos.

@computergeek541  @will13am @Anonymous @softech @og2 

Thank you for all of the advice, suggestions and explanations especially when it comes all that techno-babble that I can understand about as well as I do greek. And I worked for greeks for 25 years! But to the point I wanted to make sure I could overcome the "verizon variant" issue and the age of the phone.

Seeing as I am still pretty happy with my A320 running Android 8 its biggest issue is paltry by today's standards 16GB storage capacity that cannot be expanded when using the dual sim. Camera wise it can still hold its own when compared to my moto g7+. They both have their advantages and drawbacks.

I much prefer the way the A3 processes colour ( kodak style) with true black and warmer red/yellow tendencies. The A3 has the ability to filter colour by changing the angle of the image taken there is no such ability to do so ( that I have discovered yet) in the moto g7+ and if there is... it takes too long to be able to capture the moment.

The moto g7+ has the cooler blue/green hues of fujifilm and slightly  sharper image quality in low light and full light but loses the ability to properly process colour when there is contrast and black most noticeably turns to sepia and colour takes a dull turn. The 8× zoom twice the size of the A3's relies far too much software to fill in the blanks at dusk and dawn that it borders on cartoonish. The details and sharpness of image for nightscapes are a marked improvement over the A3. 

Viewing the images captured in this article I personally don't see that much of a difference in the quality of the images (with the exception of the night sky shots) to justify paying more than double for the google pixel 4a over the pixel 3.

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/pixel-4-vs-pixel-3-camera-faceoff 

The gsm arena camera comparison tool that I just discovered is great for over all image vs specs but its monochromatic palette only tells one story of camera performance. There are marked differences in low light especially with the A3. How the camera captures light is just as in important if not more so in my opinion and that can only real be done with real world testing...... coming soon!

Phone cost: A3 (Dec. 2017) $455  Moto g7+ (Dec. 2020) $180  Pixel 3 (July 2021) $185

Screenshot_20210709-144859~2.pngScreenshot_20210709-144554~2.pngScreenshot_20210709-144456~2.png

og2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The great thing about pixel phones is they are very easy to change factory images. Go to this website and follow instructions on how to install the CAD version for the device.

https://developers.google.com/android/images

As for purchasing the pixel 3 for the camera, I believe that was a bad buy. Pixel 4a has a better camera than the 3

@darlicious   so, there is only one SIM slow on your phone, right?  just curious.

I do like the full system transfer, one thing I love is it even transfer all the Wifi setup.. so i dun need to re-enter Wifi password.  But yes, all the Junk move along as well.  Good or Bad.

Yes, I used to try installing all the custom ROM or computer OS  but I hesitant now.  What I am still doing is install Lineage for those old phones.  I just brought my 9 years old Note 2 back to life lately.  But I admit, it could be dangerous.  Never really know what is included in the ROM I downloaded

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

There will probably be some camera software I may want to improve or update in the future. That's my main concern.

When I transfer my data is there an option to not transfer everything? When I transferred from my A3 to my moto g7+ I regretted transferring everything.....like google play. How is it an app google disabled still transfers to take up space on the new phone?

I do know that there is balance between price and getting the most up-to-date devices. With updates being important to you, I'm not sure that I would pick a nearly 3 year old device.  There's also only so much that software will imporove the performance of the camera, but new options might be added. When it comes to camera software, there are many camera app options available, many that can be used without needing to change your ROM.  When it comes to installing custom operating system software, I would be hesistant.  I used to do this stuff, but that was to fix a silly software bug the caused network issues in the device that I had at the time. While root does give the user more flexibility, I quickly became annoyed that some of that apps that I wanted to use wouldn't work on a rooted device.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

There will probably be some camera software I may want to improve or update in the future. That's my main concern.

When I transfer my data is there an option to not transfer everything? When I transferred from my A3 to my moto g7+ I regretted transferring everything.....like google play. How is it an app google disabled still transfers to take up space on the new phone?

GCam is the best software for pixel phones.  You will not find a better solution.  In fact if you google GCam port, you will find devs making special versions of GCcam for non pixel devices.  I use a GCam port on the OnePlus 7T.  That said, user apps don't install into the system partition.  There is no need to flash via fastboot or recovery which generally requires bootloader unlock.

As for transferring data from old phone to new, all that does is make it simpler for you to add back the accounts and installed user apps that resides on the old phone.  I don't see this as data transfer because all the critical app data is left behind on the old phone.  The only reliable method I am aware of for transferring app data from phone to phone is titanium backup which requires root access/unlocked bootloader.

@will13am 

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

Good to know.....I wanted to keep my options open and just unlocking the OEM atm will ensure I'm prepared for any eventuality. I don't bank or do any other security risk related activities on my phone. This purchase was 99% for the camera....the fact that it has calling/texting capabilities is just an added bonus. The e-sim to my knowledge is unaccessible or locked to verizon. It holds no special importance to me when it comes to my new "camera".

If you are never going to flash third party software, there is no value in unlocking the bootloader.  You can unlock it when needed.  Anyway, I have not done the research, but I am sure that installing a third party rom would get rid of any Verizon encumbrance on the phone.  I bought a T-Mobile edition of the OnePlus 7T from B&H.  When I flashed the global rom, all things T-Mobile were removed and the second SIM slot suddenly became usable.  

@will13am 

Good to know.....I wanted to keep my options open and just unlocking the OEM atm will ensure I'm prepared for any eventuality. I don't bank or do any other security risk related activities on my phone. This purchase was 99% for the camera....the fact that it has calling/texting capabilities is just an added bonus. The e-sim to my knowledge is unaccessible or locked to verizon. It holds no special importance to me when it comes to my new "camera".

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Unlocking the bootloader will prevent many apps from working such as banking apps because of safetynet.  Unlocked bootloader is deemed to be an exploit.  Magisk is needed to hide the unlocked bootloader status.  Unlocked bootloader serves no purpose other than to flash unsigned third party ROMs.  Since the pixel 3 is DOA as far as OTA updates are concerned, third party ROMs will be needed to keep the software fresh.

E-sim is electronic or embedded SIM that is programmed by scanning a QR code supplied by the carrier.  The flexibility is the programmability. Typically more than 1 e-sim profile can be stored on a supported phone but only one can be selected for use at a time.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7086887?hl=en

@computergeek541 

When I bought it I knew it was an unlocked verizon variant. I just wasn't expecting the sim card to be preinstalled.

@Anonymous 

I removed the sim and I am now fully charging the phone. Tomorrow I will enable the developer options and unlock the OEM. But after that the bootloader stuff is over my head. Once the OEM is unlocked I can set up the phone and just come back to that if need be?....and after a lot more study and access to a computer I can upgrade it when it comes that time? At least that's my take on it.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/unlock-bootloader-your-pixel-3-3-xl-beginners-guide-0189128/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps something like this place where they sell the phone with a SIM ready to be activated. And then go one extra and put it in the slot.

Maybe the SIM could be used for the APN problem.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

Lol I had to watch a youtube video to figure it out. That's why there is 2 little holes in back of the tray to push or poke the sim card out. Neither google pixel support or verizon (the provider) could  answer the my question of how to remove a preinstalled sim card. It was only obvious once you see it removed. 

20210708_234002.jpg

My reply from earlier does say to do just that, but I do understand that pictures and a video would make it easier to see.   I am curious though, why would an unlocked Pixel device have a SIM card pre-installed?  I assume that this wasn't purchased from Google, but was rather sourced from a carrier or a store reselling a device originally from a carrier.

@computergeek541 

Lol I had to watch a youtube video to figure it out. That's why there is 2 little holes in back of the tray to push or poke the sim card out. Neither google pixel support or verizon (the provider) could  answer the my question of how to remove a preinstalled sim card. It was only obvious once you see it removed. 

20210708_234002.jpg

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

The literature says the sim card is preinstalled. Its attached to the sim card tray. 

20210708_232402.jpg20210708_232347.jpg

Remove it and replace with the Public Mobile SIM card.   I don't know which carrier's SIM card that is already in the tray, but it's not an eSIM.  Pop it out by taking advantage of the holes on the oppopsite side.

@computergeek541 

The literature says the sim card is preinstalled. Its attached to the sim card tray. 

20210708_232402.jpg20210708_232347.jpg

@darlicious wrote:

I am confused. My new phone is dual sim itcomes with an e-sim (as shown) and room for a nano sim. Either I am completely missing the obvious.....but where does my pm sim card go?

IMG_20210708_222845875.jpgIMG_20210708_222833733.jpg

That's not an eSIM in your picture. eSIM cards cannot be removed. Your Public Mobile SIM card goes on the SIM card tray.  There appears to be a SIM card from another carrier installed. Remove it by pushing it out with a pin.

Need Help? Let's chat.