cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Messages chat feature

beth1791
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I have the chat features in the Google Messages app enabled on my phone (Moto X4) but I can't seem to get it to work. I was hoping to use it to message my husband's phone (Galaxy S7 on Bell) as I know chat works on his phone. Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

@b1791 wrote:

Yes, we both have it enabled. His works when he's texting coworkers, but not when he texts me.

@b1791  Still stuck? Some additional ideas:

• switch SIMs with your husband to see if it stays with your phone or follows the SIM
  • delete the app and reinstall
  • be sure you have data left in your plan and cellular data ON; the app uses data and so should work if you are connected to wifi

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@b1791 he can easily toggle that feature off on his side and it wouldn't tell you. you can toggle the sms delivery feature on, this will always notify you when he's opened a message.

• go to the settings menu where you see "chat features"
  • scroll down and tap advanced
  • tap "get  sms delivery reports"

b1791

I don't want to use an app like WhatsApp as my husband couldn't use the app as it's a work phone. I just wanted to know when he's read my messages.

b1791

Yes, we both have it enabled. His works when he's texting coworkers, but not when he texts me.

@srlawren very true Ill recant and change the description I put. 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Naepalm wrote:

@beth1791 

Quick question why are you looking to use google chat app? There are many sms messaging apps if that one is not working for you. Whats app, telegram, line app, hangouts etc..

@Naepalm not to be a stickler, but those apps you listed aren't SMS messaging apps; instead, they are each apps for their own data-based instant messaging services.  While I agree that I'd use WhatsApp, Skype, or even Facebook Messenger over even Chat-enabled (RCS) texting whenever possible, texting still has some use.  And why not at least enjoy typing indicators and read receipts in the process?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@beth1791 

Quick question why are you looking to use google chat app? There are many other messaging apps (that are not sms messaging) but can be used on wifi, if that one is not working for you. Whats app, telegram, line app, hangouts etc..

Also I read that google messaging app devs have put not updated it recently and are working on a better sms app. 

Any reviews I have read about this app have not been great, users facing issues with it working etc. 

Here is a web page that gives you all you need to know and get it working. This is regarding hangouts though....

https://zapier.com/blog/google-hangouts-chat-guide/

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

Screenshot_20200616-142202.png

@beth1791 if it's enabled try sending your husband a text and try to see if you can see him typing back. he also needs this option to be enabled on his side. another way would be to take out your sim and use wifi and try to send him a message

I would also like to add, having chat features enabled drains battery. it will show as "carrier services" in your battery stats. I think at one point I saw as much as 12% usage

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@beth1791  try clearing the app cache. Someone here said they got it working by deleting the app data. Here is the link  https://support.google.com/messages/thread/22786148?hl=en

I dont know if it wil work but you are welcome to try it. Good luck.Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.