cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Hangouts outbound caller ID not working since port

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I switched over to Public Mobile from Virgin back in November and everything has been working well.

Since the switch my the outbound caller ID no longer works in Google Hangouts as when I try to select the option for "Use your verified number for phone calls made from Hangouts" it says "Outbound caller ID requires a verified phone number". 

According to some outdated support articles it appears there used to be a verify phone number option in Hangouts that let you verify your number and I did this originally a few years ago but that option is no longer there in the app and it appears that since switching the Public Mobile the Outbound caller ID has just stopped working.

I have removed my number from my Google account and re-added it with a pin Google gave me, cleared the app cache, reinstalled the app and tried on three different devices but still no dice. 

Anyone else have this issue since switching or have any idea how I might go about fixing it? Not sure there is much the Mods can do in this situation.

18 REPLIES 18

Tav

@srlawren wrote:

What version of Hangouts are you guys using?  

I just checked the Play Store and I have no updates avaialble.  I'm on Hangouts 27.0.215462205 from Oct 3, 2018, and Hangouts Dialer 0.1.100944346 from Sept 1, 2015 (wow, very old).  I retested by calling my Fongo number from Hangouts Dialer and it correctly showed my verified PM number as the calling number.  Am I just lucky or are my app(s) outdated? 

Same dates/versions here as well.

@srlawren wrote:

I just checked the Play Store and I have no updates avaialble.  I'm on Hangouts 27.0.215462205 from Oct 3, 2018, and Hangouts Dialer 0.1.100944346 from Sept 1, 2015 (wow, very old).  I retested by calling my Fongo number from Hangouts Dialer and it correctly showed my verified PM number as the calling number.  Am I just lucky or are my app(s) outdated? 

I've confirmed that there's something very strange going on with Hangouts.  Callier ID is disabled according to the Hangouts settings menu, and it doesn't allow me to enable it.  Before I had deleted by number from my Google account, and the Hangouts Dialer showed by number but said "disabled for security reasons". 

I called a long distance calling company access number that relies on purely on caller ID to identifed you and that number was still recognizing my number when dialing in using Hangouts.

At first, I thought that maybe Hangouts was making a regular cell phone network call (for which I was pretty sure that Hangouts wasn't even capable of).   Just to be sure, I just set my phone to GSM only network, so there's absolutely no way that I can be making a regular cellular voice call. I then made a call using Hangouts Dialer, and once again, the other end is able to see my phone number. 

So, at least for me, these error messages about callier ID being disabled, and the messages about not being allowed to activate it are telling me falsehoods.  Callier ID is enabled.  Unfortanately, since callier ID is working, this also means that I can no longer disable it on a pure call basis, or at least not from the menu.  I'm not sure if #31# works in Hangouts.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@smp99 wrote:

the only way I have fixed it was to login to hangouts on an android device ( phone or tablet) and go into settings there and turn off/on callerID. Then it would be set correctly on my iPhone 

@smp99 how long ago did you do this?  I've tried this recently and despite the "Outbound Caller ID" setting being enabled on both Android and iOS devices, it always shows the "...disabled for security reasons" message upon trying to connect.

I am speculating that if this was done before a certain date, it might work ("grandfathered"), but if anybody flips the "enable" switch now, it may break (so, if it's working, be warned and don't blame me if you disable/re-enable the setting and it no longer works!!).

I can sort of imagine the security vulnerability (e.g. someone else uses a device which has your Google login and dials out?), but wish Google would just let users use this feature if they're willing to accept the risks!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Tav

@smp99 wrote:

@Tav Are you using a iPhone?  I have had this issue as well 

the only way I have fixed it was to login to hangouts on an android device ( phone or tablet) and go into settings there and turn off/on callerID. Then it would be set correctly on my iPhone 

Android

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tav Are you using a iPhone?  I have had this issue as well 

Tav

@computergeek541 wrote:

There isn't anything Public Mobile moderators can do about this.  This is a software issue.

As earlier stated, the newest version does not work for outbound caller ID and will say "outbound caller ID has been disabled for security reasons".

If you remove your phone number and then re-verifty it by adding it again as a Google account recovery phone number, Google will send a text mesage with a verification code.  This will verify your number again, but if you try to turn the outbound caller ID back on in the settings menu, it will say that nonsense about you requring a verified number (even if you already have done that).

From what I'm reading, the only way around this is to run version 24 of Hangouts to get this feature working again, either by sideloading, or unisntalling Hangouts to a previous factory phone manufactuer installed verison.

Not sure why it messed up when I switched over to Public Mobile (sim verification maybe?) but installing a version from January 2018 which allowed me to  re-verify the number seemed to do the trick! It also automatically updated the outbound toggle across my devices which were on newer versions. Thanks so much everyone!

@bridonca

Assuming that is the cure it is quite simple to do

Every version of Android lets you roll back all updates and some even let you fully uninstall the app

APKs are all over the web if a specific version is required

@bridonca wrote:

This is not a Public Mobile issue, this is a Google Hangouts issue.  The newer hangouts clients can no longer do outbound caller id.  If you roll back to an older version of hangouts, this problem will not be.  Not easy to do though.

@Alex888 wrote:

Have you tried to verify your number like it asks?

It sounds like an app problem, if you can't verify the number try deleting the app, clear the phone cache, then reinstalling it.

Clearing phone's cache isn't going to fix this.  Unfortunatley, this is now a known issue with Hangouts, specifically with certain versions.

There isn't anything Public Mobile moderators can do about this.  This is a software issue.

As earlier stated, the newest version does not work for outbound caller ID and will say "outbound caller ID has been disabled for security reasons".

If you remove your phone number and then re-verifty it by adding it again as a Google account recovery phone number, Google will send a text mesage with a verification code.  This will verify your number again, but if you try to turn the outbound caller ID back on in the settings menu, it will say that nonsense about you requring a verified number (even if you already have done that).

From what I'm reading, the only way around this is to run version 24 of Hangouts to get this feature working again, either by sideloading, or unisntalling Hangouts to a previous factory phone manufactuer installed verison.

bridonca

This is not a Public Mobile issue, this is a Google Hangouts issue.  The newer hangouts clients can no longer do outbound caller id.  If you roll back to an older version of hangouts, this problem will not be.  Not easy to do though.

mimmo

@Tavusing stock p20pro

hangouts wont even let me toggle the outbound calls id now.

if you find a solution please post 🙂

edit: found this: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/qJadi-_dha8;context-place=topicsearch...

Tav

@mimmo wrote:

so I looked at my phone and it has teh same problem  under settings -> google setting -> device phone number nothing shows up.

i deleted my number from google  and readded it and verified it.  so I think it is an issue with android instead of  hangouts issue.

Google seems to have a similar setup to Public Mobile with a support forum so I posted there as well. I can't seem to find an email contact.

This field is empty on my device as well. Are you running a non-stock rom or have your phone rooted by any chance?

mimmo

so I looked at my phone and it has teh same problem  under settings -> google setting -> device phone number nothing shows up.

i deleted my number from google  and readded it and verified it.  so I think it is an issue with android instead of  hangouts issue.

Tav

@Alex888 wrote:
It sounds like an app problem, try deleting the app, clear the phone cache, then reinstalling it.

Did this on three different devices as stated in the first message. 

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

Have you tried to verify your number like it asks?

It sounds like an app problem, if you can't verify the number try deleting the app, clear the phone cache, then reinstalling it.

Tav

@Alex888 wrote:

Check the Google Hangout settings where is says Outbound Caller ID, make sure the box next to it is checked, you may need to add a new account to it for it to start working again.

It won't let me check this. Keeps saying I need to a verified number. I will bug Googles support to fix it before creating a new account if thats what you mean by add a new account.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

Check the Google Hangout settings where is says Outbound Caller ID, make sure the box next to it is checked, you may need to add a new account to it for it to start working again.

Need Help? Let's chat.