cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting new phone for Public Mobile

Kidmui
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, a friend of mine is planning to get a new phone and sign up for Public Mobile. Since she doesn't have a phone yet, she cannot check the IMEI. She would rather like to make sure that the phone she is getting is going to be compatible with the network. How can she do that? Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

Kidmui

@bridonca wrote:

The Nokia 7 Plus should work on most bands in Canada.  https://www.androidcentral.com/nokia-7-plus-us-should-buy

Isn't this post for the US though?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I will bring back an old thread discussing a very good mid range phone at low end price that works for sure on this network.  The M1803E7SH model that OP bought via Amazon.ca has 4 compatible LTE bands, 2, 4, 5, 7.  I was so impressed by the phone that I actually ended up getting one as a gift for a friend.  I got the M1803E7SG model from the Xiaomi store.  Although the OP suggested that it is not compatible, it in fact is but only has 3 compatible LTE bands 4, 5, 7.  At around $250, it is super hot buy.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-E7S-M1803E7SH/td-...

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mynamejc voice is run on the3g network so if you by chance buy say an Asian model phone data might work with LTE but not voice.

mynamejc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@srlawren wrote:

@mynamejc wrote:

For 3G I can't imagine it not working, pretty much every phone in the world will work on 3G. (Minor exceptions on Wind's network...)

@mynamejc FYI this is quite wrong.  While some phones have 3G bands for just about anywhere and will work just about anywhere, there are a TON of models that are specific to the China, India, or European market that do NOT have the rquired 850MHz (3G B2) and 1900MHz (3G Band 5--don't confused these with LTE bands they are different beasts) that are needed for use with Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile, Bell, Virgin, and Lucky.  Those phones will only be useful with Rogers/Fido/Chatr since Rogers is the only Canadian carrier operating a 2G GSM network (and only through sometime in 2020).

Are those even common these days? Isn't everything pretty much Quad-band 3G which would include 850/1900 for NA use. Unless you're buying really random no-brand China phones I would say it's pretty rare for it to not have quad band 3G. Regardless LTE compatibility is what you should always strive for.

srlawren

@Kidmui if you'd like help determining compatibility of any particular candidate phones your friend has it narrowed down to, please post them here and we can help.  Be as specific as possible, especially if they are phones not intended for the North American market.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@mynamejc wrote:

For 3G I can't imagine it not working, pretty much every phone in the world will work on 3G. (Minor exceptions on Wind's network...)

@mynamejc FYI this is quite wrong.  While some phones have 3G bands for just about anywhere and will work just about anywhere, there are a TON of models that are specific to the China, India, or European market that do NOT have the rquired 850MHz (3G B2) and 1900MHz (3G Band 5--don't confused these with LTE bands they are different beasts) that are needed for use with Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile, Bell, Virgin, and Lucky.  Those phones will only be useful with Rogers/Fido/Chatr since Rogers is the only Canadian carrier operating a 2G GSM network (and only through sometime in 2020).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The Nokia 7 Plus should work on most bands in Canada.  https://www.androidcentral.com/nokia-7-plus-us-should-buy

mimmo

Have you checked bestbuy for the g6

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/search?search=G6+motorola

There are a couple versions there. 

mynamejc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

+1 definitely check the bands. You'll need Band 4 1700mhz most important on LTE for it to work (at minimum) with LTE in Canada. For 3G I can't imagine it not working, pretty much every phone in the world will work on 3G. (Minor exceptions on Wind's network...)

And again, there are different versions of the Moto G6 for different country. Just make sure to check the good model number when you check the bands.

The G6 designed for USA/Canada will work for sure, the other models you would have to check.

mimmo

Asia has different bands. That is why I mentioned it. So a phone meant for the Asia market might not be 100% compatible.

I think that most name brand phones bought on Amazon should be fine. But do as @will13am said make sure the band's on the phoneatch the ones in his post  the g6 should be fine. The Nokia not sure as I know nothing about it.

Kidmui

@mimmo wrote:

Any phone that works on bell or Telus will work.  Is she planning to buy in Canada or from china? New or used? 

New for sure. But we don't know how to make sure that it will work for Bell or Telus either. She is not thinking about any of those flagship models from the big brand names, like Samsung or what not. She is looking at the lower end or mid-range models. If it will help, two phones that she is considering now is the Moto G6 and the Nokia 7 Plus. Will likely get it from Amazon or possibly other online routes which may actually have the phone shipped from Asia (who knows.) Does it matter, whether or not the phone is from Canada?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Here are the supported bands on the Telus network.  Compatible phones can be researched based on these supported bands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

mimmo

Any phone that works on bell or Telus will work.  Is she planning to buy in Canada or from china? New or used? 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Kidmui wrote:

Hello, a friend of mine is planning to get a new phone and sign up for Public Mobile. Since she doesn't have a phone yet, she cannot check the IMEI. She would rather like to make sure that the phone she is getting is going to be compatible with the network. How can she do that? Thanks.

If she knows what type of phone she is getting she sould visit www.willmyphonework.net.  I would never suggest using the IMEI checker for network compatibility

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.