cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Getting Started with a Upgrade ;-)

@dougc  click your badge top right and scroll all the way down near your picture area. You might see "Drafts" and your message may be there. Just click it and message will reopen then your can post. It's not always there but maybe.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jb456

No joy !

Under the avatar,  just the standard 5 areas,   no 'drafts' option

Thanks.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dougc  sorry my bad did not specify my profile.

You have to click your badge and go to "My Profile" then scroll down under your stats and stuff.

Looks like this.

Screenshot_20201121_171909.jpg

Then you click back into your message.

Highlighted

Okay,  most was caught with a auto-save !  thanks Jb'

@Jb456 

Same retailer,  same price  out west  😉

@Korth 

"The salesperson claiming that a new SIM card will somehow make your phone work faster might as well be saying that a new license plate will somehow make your car drive faster. "

Probably had the same thoughts  as I did, when he mentioned as a side note while processing the purchase.      Chips in whatever form factor are allegedly improved every version  . . . but as you and others have hi-lited,  noticeable speed improvements unlikely in this format  😉

!   My bad,  thinking there was any possible circuit connects still within the initial PM SIM card. 

I'm going back 5 yrs  when  researching about downsizing a "speakout sim" (which was a solid regular size sim, with no integrated subtle trim/punchout lines which I just looked at LoL --- time to toss out, eh ! )   to a smaller size depending on the phone requisite.

ref.   input  -  trimming SIM cards - into google.ca search field and a Utube video (2015?) pops up showing home scissors being used to trim a chatr sim after  cut lines were drawn !

Back then support pages stressed being careful about trimming it down to size  (thinking that  the actual 'centre' did not contain all the 'circuits' ?).   A time when templates and sharps were sold to assist the DIY techie.  As cheap as 5  probably shipping cost more ?

2017 service providers sold either preformed micro and nano sims for consumer needs.

Obviously before manufacturers integrated pre-cut lines, making them "trimmable" just using gentle steady thumb pressure  (sometime today).   🙂      

@cavemantoronto 

" but people don't save comacts on sim any more. It wouldn't be noticed as too small of difference "

I have been, just in case I did find that my 2018 PM was easily downsized  into the smaller form factor now (Nano) requisite in probably 99% of phones. Would save time, vs manually inputting contact info into a new phone.      I've never  bothered to acquire a micro/usb cord to even try tah connect the flip' to the computer for backing up or possible os upgrades.      So don't even know if a 5-6 yr old flip would be compatible transferring contacts file to a Moto  01-2020 build.    

Probably take more time to research and attempt,  than just manually doing input.   😉

I can't believe how thin this phone is !   Better try'n order a protective case for it, I saw on amaz'.    Hopefully the (positive) reviewers are legit.   LoL

Thank  you all for   previous feedback !

Highlighted

@Jb456 

Previously;

"Same retailer, same price out west "

When i was prepping a email (earlier p.m.) to a friend who expressed interest in this unit, found the retailer online catalogue  $50 off till end of month or till stock gone.

Confirmed by phoning neighbourhood outlet same discount available "in-warehouse",    so popped over previous to closing for 30 day price quarantee  since it can be only  'honoured' if stock in bldg.    And stock numbers were already 14 units less than last week !

So this (alleged "entry level")  smart phone  for a even more palatable price point  !!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dougc  Yes I was at Costco yesterday and it was now $149.99.

$160 online 

https://www.costco.ca/moto-g-fast-unlocked-smartphone%2c-pearl-white.product.100672915.html

Screenshot_20201125_061518.jpg

All the  Motos at Costco seem to be $50 off till Nov 30th.

Highlighted

BTW  just in case,  this model of Motorola is NOT a hybrid dual SIM  as stated within their Moto'Corp. Canadian website  product specifications.

There was a thread posted on the Moto community forum back in June hi-liting this problem/error to the U.S. team,  who did not follow thru with corrections on the Cdn website !

This was recently uncovered and expressed on the original Moto'CommunityForum thread by a potential Canadian end user after they acquired a unit which did not perform as expected,  purchase was based on Moto' Corp. Cdn website spec. 

It seems too that PubMob's 'cousin',  Koodo  (customer service) is viewing a tainted spec listing,   and insisting that a second SIM will fit and function as seen spec'd on their database screen !   LoL

Geeez,  usually it is reviewers statements or retailer listings that I might question/doubt,  and go to manufacturers info sheets for final confirmation.   🙂

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dougc : dual SIM's seem a bit tricky to acquire. I was at a London Drugs when I was looking at phones and asked about a Nokia. She looks it up and declares yup dual SIM. So I ask about a return policy. So she volunteers to open the box. She pulls out the phone, inserts the SIM tool and out comes a SIM tray with a blocked out second SIM. Hmph Whatdyaknow.. I thank her for opening the box and leave.

After a summer of adventures, I now have a Samsung dual SIM from the UAE of all places bought from a shop in Richmond.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Two kinds of phones are marketed as "Dual-SIM".

Passive or Standby dual-SIM phones have two SIM slots. But only one can be active at any time.

Active dual-SIM phones have two SIM slots. And both can be active at any time.

Active dual-SIM phones have two IMEI numbers, one for each SIM slot. So *#06# reports two IMEIs. So google can help you identify which phones have active dual-SIMs by showing screenshots/photos of devices with two IMEIs.

Active dual-SIM phones require two sets of radio transceiver hardware. Which must either be embedded in the SoC or be implemented through add-on chips. Add-on components increase manufacturing BOM costs and part counts (and bulk on the mainboard) so it's just not done in practice. So googling the SoC datasheets/specs will usually reveal whether or not a device has active dual-SIM.

Because active dual-SIM phones require two radio transceivers they also require two FCCID certifications. So the legal paperwork appended to the end of the user manual will display two FCCID certificates. Two FCCID numbers will be printed somewhere on or in the device (often on the SIM slots themselves). And online FCC/OET lookups of either ID will always reveal the linked "companion" ID.

Passive dual-SIMs don't require extra radio hardware or extra logic hardware. They just wire another physical SIM slot onto the mainboard and make software which can use one or the other.

Just saying that it's usually possible to figure out if a device has dual-SIM and if it has active/passive dual-SIM by doing some online digging. Without needing to unbox the device.

It's easy to find takeaparts of disassembly guide photos showing one or two SIM slots. It's not hard to identify whether dual-SIMs are active or passive by examining other technical resources. It's safe to assume the manufacturers always prefer the quickest and cheapest solution, and that they don't forget to proudly advertise any costly functionality they add above the SoC baseline.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-dual-sim-and-how-does-it-work/

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-dual-SIM-phone-have-two-IMEI-numbers?share=1

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/faqs/why-do-i-have-2-imei-numbers/articleshow/78939506.cms

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dougc wrote:

Okay that really  burns   😂  🤐

I finally hit  'Post'  on a reply,  and it came back with;

"authentification failed"

And within a red banner;  

"Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication"  

And of course the attempted (long multiple @ responses) post content disappeared !     

I'm not going to bother with a rewrite other than the last line,

" Thank you all for the previous feedback ! "

I've had that happen to me a few times, and as was pointed out by @darlicious , it SEEMS to be because you've been typing the post for too long(although I don't know what the max. time happens to be).

I JUST had that happen a couple days ago, while typing a private message, and remembering what the issue is, I simply opened a new tab in my web browser, opened up the messaging window again, went back to the 1st tab, and copied all that I'd typed, went back to the 2nd tab & pasted into the new message, and hit "Post", and voila, problem solved! 👍

Need Help? Let's chat.