cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Getting Started with a Upgrade ;-)

@gpixel4 

thanks  I was wondering about that when I opened the folder they come in now,  and found no seal, you could just slide the base SIM card out from the holder !   

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dougc 

You're over-thinking it. When you get it out of the flip you'll see how obvious it all is. Good that you kept the frame parts all this time. Pack rats...love it. Me. 🙂 Don't take apart the new one. Give that honour to whoever you give it to.

Highlighted

LoL 

I've been accused many times of overthinking things (or being too detail orientated ?) . 

I "blame" it on  the work I did  . . . . subsequently, to make sure  all  'things'  thought of either 'cause I was passing the work onto a contractor,   or 'cause working at least 3 hour out of town, was a tad far to acquire something missing and required out on site to complete .    

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dougc 

It is always good to have an extra sim card around in case you lose your phone. You can quickly change sim cards in self service and pop it into another phone.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Standard SIM cards do not contain any processor logic or any active circuitry.

There is no way a SIM card could increase signal, performance, processing, or data speeds. There's no way a SIM card could decrease these things either, aside from being defective or malfunctional in some way which inhibits reliable operation.

Consumer SIM cards typically contain only a tiny programmed ROM (which reports the subscriber ID/IMSI stuff, security key tokens, etc) and a small amount of flash-programmable NVRAM (which can be used to store software configurations, contacts, etc).

SIM cards might contain more NVRAM storage capacity or more NVRAM storage partitions than the minimums required by GSM11.11(SIM-ME) and GSM11.14(SIM-API) specifications, and these days they usually do because it's actually cheaper to manufacture with modern high-density NVRAM than with now-obsolete low-density NVRAM. (And these days they typically embed everything onto a single cheap rewritable EEPROM wafer with the critical "unique ID" information encoded into a write-locked partition.)

SIM cards might contain NFC and/or RFID inductor/antenna "tags" (along with CTLS/SEID codecs or other secretive authorization tokens). SIM cards might contain active TPM cryptologic circuits ("black box" security chips). These aren't standard consumer features (they cost more) and they only function in hardware-compatible devices (which also cost more).

There's a few variant form factors (USIM, CSIM, RUIC/RUIM, UICC, others) which aren't intercompatible, different evolutions and different ITC regions, specifically designed so it's physically and electrically "impossible" to use them with the wrong devices. Every SIM card you buy in North America is the same form factor (albeit available in three sizes), you won't encounter any of the other variants unless you purchase them from foreign operators.

eSIMs are electrically identical to SIM cards but are physically embedded into the device (permanently soldered onto the PCB). They of course do away with all the bulk attached to SIM card plastics and SIM card slot mountings - as well as some secondary cap and resistor components, a large mess of signal traces, and the expensive gold plated electrical contact pads - the ones I've seen were 1206-scale SMT packages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_Identity_Module#Developments

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dougc  I just skimmed through the responses  so I apologize if I missed someone's post but I did not see any one telling you to NOT activate the new sim card.

First if you can't punch out your old sim card to a smaller size. Which basically means simply push lightly with your thumbs and push it out then you simply have to log into your account and click "Change SIM card".

Green arrow on picture below.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

Type the new sim card number that you just bought and your account and number will be on the new sim card. Simply put the new sim in your phone, turn it on and you're good to go.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dougc  Also out of curiosity how much did you pay for the Moto G Fast? If you don't mind sharing?

At Costco in Montreal area they are $199.99

Screenshot_20201121_072806.jpg

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dougc Faster? The sim has a memory part of it that could be read faster in newer generations but people don't save comacts on sim any more. It wouldn't be noticed as too small of difference.  The salesperson shouldn't make you believe a new sims is better. There's no practical difference in versions.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@cavemantoronto 

The SIM-to-device interface has to follow GSM standards. Including clock rates for data transfers.

The nvram blocks in SIM cards and the oscillators/buslogic in SIM slots could always be made to run faster. But the cards are built as cheap as possible, with the lowest-bin silicon which meets standard specs. While the devices use standardized parts selected for consistent compliance with standardized specs, they strictly avoid any deviations which might break compatibility.

There is nothing to gain from increasing this interface speed anyhow. Full storage capacity of a SIM card is usually on the order of up to about 64MB (maximum addressable limit without paging logic). Tiny enough that device DRAM can fully shadow it before reading and fully cache it before writing. A SIM card with impossibly fast and expensive storage performances (comparable to, say, 4xPCIe SSD or dual-channel DDR4) would have absolutely no effect on performance aside from perhaps shaving off a few dozen milliseconds each time the device boots up or shuts down. It's not a mass storage device, it's a cheaper-than-USB-stick EEPROM which only needs to infrequently pass along 32 bytes at a time.

It's something which can be tested very easily. Just compare performances, old SIM card vs new SIM card in the same phone.

The salesperson claiming that a new SIM card will somehow make your phone work faster might as well be saying that a new license plate will somehow make your car drive faster.

Highlighted

Okay that really  burns   😂  🤐

I finally hit  'Post'  on a reply,  and it came back with;

"authentification failed"

And within a red banner;  

"Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication"  

And of course the attempted (long multiple @ responses) post content disappeared !     

I'm not going to bother with a rewrite other than the last line,

" Thank you all for the previous feedback ! "

Need Help? Let's chat.