cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started / Unlocking Phone

Darren_M
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Friend that's a 1st Timer, with a Cell/Smart Phone.

I got a couple of Phones, (a Smart Phone) from a Friend to give to him.

Intested in the P.M.Plans, but need to see if the phone is Unlocked or Not?

There's NO SIM CARD in the HTC Raider, so is it wise to buy one without knowing if the phone can be used? Or do I need to have a SIM CARD to see if the Smart Phone can be used and if it's unlocked?
I do get the IMEI

There's 2-3 Options for Networks.  But You probably can't make a Call, if the Phone has No Plan with a Carrier - or SIM CARD.

I don't want to bother, a Friend of a Freind,  to call to unlock the phone
Also *#06#.does not give IMEI.

_Thanking you in Advance for Your Help. ___________________________________________________________________

21 REPLIES 21

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Refurbed phones are usually as good as new - sometimes they're "factory" repairs, sometimes they have insignificant cosmetic defect/damage, sometimes they were returned just hecause the first buyer didn't like the product - many people are willing to pay premium for utterly perfect and idealized devices - but if you're not fussy then there's nothing wrong with paying less for a phone that has nothing wrong with it.

But refurbed boxes are usually "special deal" "as-is" items, no return/exchange unless the item simply doesn't work. The best bet is to test it out in the store, don't walk out with it before you know it works. Still better odds than you might find on craigslist.

If you're not in a hurry then check the PM Announcements every week or so, they frequently run ad-hoc weekend promos and stuff so you might be able to score a free PM SIM card and simply sink $10 or $15 into the cheapest Plan available.

(and if you can get referred by an existing PM customer then you can also get a $10 credit, won't cost you anything extra but if PM works out for you then that extra ten bucks doesn't hurt.) 

@Darren_M wrote:

I found this tool to check Phone and Network Compatabilty too....
https://willmyphonework.net

If you still haven't determined whether your phone would be compatible, your best option would be to do as suggested by @Korth and go to a Telus or Koodo store to confirm that you can use it with PM. 

If it turns out you need to buy a another phone, depending upon your needs, you can easily get an inexpensive smart phone (Motorola are pretty decent phones and not overly expensive), or even a flip phone such as Alcatel GoFlip will work with PM and is around $80.  I tend to steer clear of used phones unless I personally know the person selling the device, but maybe a factory reconditioned one might also be worthwhile considering too.

Darren_M

I found this tool to check Phone and Network Compatabilty too....
https://willmyphonework.net

Take the phone to a Telus store or a Koodo store. They can test it with one of their own active SIM cards... and it will work or it will report "Invalid SIM" (because it's carrier-locked) or it will simply be incompatible technology. 

They'll try to sell you stuff, of course, but you are not obligated to buy so it won't cost you anything.

You can buy unlocked phones from London Drugs, Staples, Canada Tire, Walmart, and other places. They're unlocked so they will work on any carrier and don't have to explicitly promise compatibility with Public Mobile.

You can buy used phones on craigslist or facebook market. But sellers aren't always savvy (or honest) enough to guarantee the device is unlocked. And diminished battery life becomes a concern on older devices so you might have to include price of replacement battery (usually about $25 to $45+) ... which makes a decent $75 new unlocked phone seem like a more solid deal. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Darren_M wrote:

Thanks for ALL Your Replies Everyone... 
This Smart Phone and Newer Network Tech. is NEW TO ME.

I was going to ask if someone else's SIM will Work in Any Phone...
So I guess I can try Another PM SIM CARD, but if it's NOT a PUBLIC MOBLE SIM it Can't be Used... The SIM CARD IS SPECIFIC TO THE NETWORK and CANNOT BE INTERCHANGED?  
What about Cleared like an SD CARD?

To test your HTC Raider 4G whether it will work with PM or not, you need to find someone who has Telus, Koodo or PM SIM card.

Darren_M

Thanks for ALL Your Replies Everyone... 
This Smart Phone and Newer Network Tech. is NEW TO ME.

I was going to ask if someone else's SIM will Work in Any Phone...
 I guess If I had another SIM CARD I could try it  - but if it's NOT a PUBLIC MOBLE SIM it Can't be Used?... The SIM CARD IS SPECIFIC TO THE NETWORK and CANNOT BE INTERCHANGED?  
Can it be Cleared like an SD CARD?

@Darren_M wrote:

That's some of the Dilema i'm having about "Getting Started".
*I have to have a SIM CARD and PLAN to make a Call
*There's No Certainty that if I buy a SIM CARD for the Phone it will work on P.M.

* Is it Possible that when I create an Account with a Phone/SIM and Plan that Public Mobile will take my money for the Plan if the Phone is Locked and I can't use it / OR will I Not Be Able to Complete the Order and Account for Service?
*Do I need a Plan and SIM CARD to find out if the Phone will Work on the Network.. If so the Cost of the Plan will have been a Waiste of money... till i find a phone that will work on the network.

Find a friend with a Public Mobile account and try their sim in your phone.

Darren_M

That's some of the Dilema i'm having about "Getting Started".
*I have to have a SIM CARD and PLAN to make a Call
*There's No Certainty that if I buy a SIM CARD for the Phone it will work on P.M.

* Is it Possible that when I create an Account with a Phone/SIM and Plan that Public Mobile will take my money for the Plan if the Phone is Locked and I can't use it / OR will I Not Be Able to Complete the Order and Account for Service?
*Do I need a Plan and SIM CARD to find out if the Phone will Work on the Network.. If so, the Cost of the Plan will have been a Waiste of money if the phone is Locked... till i find a phone that will work on the network.

Darren_M

I'm ALMOST 100% Positive the Phone with with Bell/ Aliant in N.S. and Under Contract which EXPIRED  years ago.

I believe RODGERS or /TELUS was one of the Network Selections... But I given the phone to my Friend and would have to verify that.

Darren_M

I thought I seen a notice about the Frequency to check compatability with P.M. on the SITE - but can't seem to find it again...
Your Comment with a link makes some sence to me ....but I really can't interpret or compare without knowing what frequency the phone is = and that which is used by PM?

I do remember my friend took out the SIM Cards and I'm Pretty Sure it had 4G but I believe it also had LTE?

@Darren_M Only the Rogers version of the Raider will work on Public Mobile; if it's unlocked. 

HTC Raider 4G - Carrier Frequencies Canada, Public Mobile

4G LTE
Result Carrier Network does not support 2G
Result Device not compatible
Result Band5-850MHz
Rogers 4G LTE
Result Carrier Network does not support 2G
Result 850MHz, 1900MHz
Result Band4-AWS

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Yes...you'll need a sim to see if the ophone is locked to previous cell provider. If it was used on one of the networks as suggested by @dabr , it'll work at Public Mobile.

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Darren_M wrote:

There is CURRENTLY NO SIM CARD AND NO CARRIER

Is a SIM CARD NECESSARY to see if the SMART PHONE is UNLOCKED?

Yes, the easiest way to see if the phone is unlocked is trying a sim card in it. 

popping

@Darren_M 

You HTC Raider may not work with PM according to the following link.

PM use 3G singal for voice call.  This phone may work with some PM LTE signal depending where you are.  It is better to look for another phone for your friend.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/6KQfq/htc-raider-4g-htc-holiday/telus-canada

Darren_M

There is CURRENTLY NO SIM CARD AND NO CARRIER

Is a SIM CARD NECESSARY to see if the SMART PHONE is UNLOCKED?

@Darren_M wrote:

Do I need a SIM CARD, to see if the Smart Phone is Unlocked?

Yes, as far as I know.

popping

@Darren_M wrote:

There is NO SIM CARD, (My friend removed his SIM CARD which was with another Carrier)

The Other 2 FLIP PHONES Do Not Take a SIM CARD. so Can they be Activated with just the ESN?

Your phone needs to support SIM card in order to use with PM.

You can use your SIM card to test the SIM card phone.

Which provider are you using?

Darren_M

There is NO SIM CARD, (My friend removed his SIM CARD which was with another Carrier)

The Other 2 FLIP PHONES Do Not Take a SIM CARD. so they CANNOT be Activated with just the ESN?

@Darren_M Try your SIM card in each of the phones to confirm compatibility. 3 friends reported liking getorchard.com for used phones.

popping

@Darren_M wrote:

There's NO SIM CARD in the HTC Raider, so is it wise to buy one without knowing if the phone can be used? Or do I need to have a SIM CARD to see if the Smart Phone can be used and if it's unlocked?
I do get the IMEI

There's 2-3 Options for Networks.  But You probably can't try to make a Call, if the Phone has No Plan with a Carrier - can you?

_Thanking you in Advance for Your Help. ___________________________________________________________________

You need an unlocked SIM card phone in order to use with PM.  The old CDMA phone will not work with PM any more as Telus had turned off the CDMA signals a few years ago.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Darren_M wrote:

I do get the IMEI

There's 2-3 Options for Networks.  But You probably can't try to make a Call, if the Phone has No Plan with a Carrier - can you?

Phones that worked with Bell or Koodo should be fine.  You can check for compatibility of the phones here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjgh4ncquXk...

You won't be able make calls without an active SIM/plan in the phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.