cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting SMS text message "Message Waiting Off" every time accessing voicemail

jfidelak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I moved an old LG C441 F4NR flip phone from BellMTS to Public Mobile. Everything is great, except every time I hang up from checking voicemail, I get an SMS text from "800-1" with message "Message Waiting Off (my10digitphonenumber)".

It looks like a special system/network message, since my only option is to OK the message (no Options menu for Reply/Delete/Forward etc. like a regular text message, and it is NOT saved in my inbox). It does indeed turn off the Message Waiting indicator.

My question is, why is this not happening silently in the background, and is there a way to make it do so like before?

I do NOT get a text message when I receive a new voicemail. I get the usual "missed call" and "new voicemail" notification screens and the "voicemail" indicator icon turns on in the background with no intervention.

Jason

7 REPLIES 7

payammasjedi

In LG devices, there is a setting which informs you about text success or fail to send. I’m not sure where exactly but I know it says something like “sms confirmation” or “text report” in the network/sms setting.

jfidelak

Not replying to anyone in particular... Thank you all for your suggestions.

Went through all phone options, found nothing related.

Voicemail "4:personal options"->"3:message notification options" is for adding (up to 5) pager numbers (weird but OK), not for the "message waiting" notification.

Used the Windows LG Support Tool and connected the phone via USB, said firmware was up to date.

Did "Master Reset" and "Master Clear" from the "Reset Settings" menu, which I believe is the "Factory Reset" for my phone. Had no effect.

This is an ancient flip phone, nothing "smart" about it, so I think the answer is likely "software incompatibility issue". It just doesn't like the way Public Mobile's voicemail system does notifications. I find it interesting that the number it comes from is "800-1", I would expect it to be either from the voicemail number or my own number. Also the PM voicemail number is a full 10 digit number 5875804001, while on my old SIM card it was *99 or some other short code. Perhaps something does not match what the phone is expecting for a notification message, so it doesn't know how to handle it, and presents it to the user instead of processing it silently... but I'm just speculating, heh.

Everything works. I guess this is just a minor quirk to get used to.

@gblackma wrote:

@jfidelak if this is a new setup lg phones require at minimum a network reset and sometimes a factory reset to work properly on PM.  Hold off on this for now. To find out more about this contact lg support 

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-LGC441

There may be a fix. Welcome to the community. Stay safe. 

The LG F4NR isn't running Android, so the very reason behind resetting network settings or performing a factory reset to get data working doesn't apply here. It is quite possible that a factory reset could still fix this, but not for the reason that LG phones usually need to get factory reset after switching carriers.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/pdf/AN430_Manual_ENG.pdf&sa=U&ved=2...

@jfidelak 

A factory reset may be the easiest way to deal with this as it doesn't appear to be a setting to address it on its own. Here's the user guide....

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jfidelak if this is a new setup lg phones require at minimum a network reset and sometimes a factory reset to work properly on PM.  Hold off on this for now. To find out more about this contact lg support 

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-LGC441

There may be a fix. Welcome to the community. Stay safe. 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@jfidelak 

Voicemail notifications and the command to reset the icon is done by SMS.  This is a phone software issue.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@jfidelak check your phone settings to see if there is an option to turn that off. maybe it'll be in your voicemail options

Need Help? Let's chat.