cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8+

NDH
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I'm new(ly returned) to Canada and have brought my unlocked Samsung Galaxy 8+ (SM-G955FD) with me from Australia.  When I went to find out if my phone would work on the Public network, that was not one of the model numbers listed.  Am I out of luck?  

12 REPLIES 12

@VW2 wrote:

Thanks but there are no networks listed...

Even if there's no signal from Public, the Rogers network should show in the network scan list. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VW2 wrote:

Did you change to 4G/3G etc? Did you do a manual scan? Or Automatic? Restart/Airplane mode? With PM SIM in?

VW2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VW2 wrote:

Yes - a Rogers SIM worked.  But it won't work on Public mobile...

Go into Settings/Connections/Mobile networks - what does Network mode say? If 2G then go in there and change it to 4G/3G/2G.

Back to Mobile networks/Network operators - select automatically.

VW2

Yes - a Rogers SIM worked.  But it won't work on Public mobile...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VW2 wrote:

Thanks.  The SIM card worked in my old Samsung S3.  It's not an issue with the network - Public mobile is not recognizing the phone.  Has anyone with a Samsung S8+ SM-G955W been able to use public mobile?

That's why I asked if you could try a different SIM in it.

And to check the networks and protocols. The phone should be fine.

VW2

Thanks.  The SIM card worked in my old Samsung S3.  It's not an issue with the network - Public mobile is not recognizing the phone.  Has anyone with a Samsung S8+ SM-G955W been able to use public mobile?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VW2 : It should be fine. Can you try a different SIM from a different provider in it? Can you check to see if the networks are choosing automatic? Can you check to see if it's on 2G? It should be like LTE/4G and WCDMA/UMTS/HSDPA/3G.

VW2

I just bought an unlocked Canadian Samsung Galaxy S8+ model SM-G955W and inserted my public mobile SIM card and it won't work (even after resetting, etc...) - does note register on network.

Even though the willmyphonework site says that model is compatible (as per screen shots in previous replies), I checked the frequencycheck website and the Public Mobile website and it states that only the G950W is compatible.

Has anyone had luck using anyone trying the SM-955W model of Samsung S8+?

NDH
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks!  So weird that it doesn’t show my model on my end (I tried multiple times on that link before posting) but that’s good enough confirmation for me. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Yes, It is good according https://willmyphonework.net/

softech_live_0-1610582086062.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NDH : No. It'll be fine.

Need Help? Let's chat.