cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-i9020T compatibility?

TeddyBoom
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I checked my IMEI before switching, but now I'm starting to think that my Nexus S GT-i9020T isn't compatible.. Not a penta band phone? Yet I've roamed on Rogers before?!? (Yes, I know Public Mobile is Belus and not Rogers, is that the issue?)

Any help would be appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@TeddyBoom wrote:

@deltatux wrote:
Moto G or the ASUS Zenfone 2 instead if you want to stick with going for Public Mobile.

Am I crazy, or is the zenfone 2 a much better deal than Moto G? Less than $50 difference..

The base model is $249 and is much faster than the Moto G. Moto G would be better for those who want a better battery life and a closer to stock Android experience. The major downside to the Zenfone 2 is the heavy software bloat.

TeddyBoom

@deltatux wrote:
Moto G or the ASUS Zenfone 2 instead if you want to stick with going for Public Mobile.

Am I crazy, or is the zenfone 2 a much better deal than Moto G? Less than $50 difference..

Rick

Get a used samsung galaxy or iphone, used lg nexus at those prices are meh especially the 4. To be honest I just went to a koodo store and got a refurb S3 for 118 on prepaid so there are better deals than what you are finding. See if bestbuy or walmart have any prepaid Koodo/Telus phones those are usually a good bargain

deltatux

@TeddyBoom wrote:

Ya.. It is okay, but not great at $244 after tax. I like the look of Nexus 4 for $100ish, I think. Battery life is not a big concern.

Up to you, I just personally never do used devices

TeddyBoom

Ya.. It is okay, but not great at $244 after tax. I like the look of Nexus 4 for $100ish, I think. Battery life is not a big concern.

deltatux

@TeddyBoom wrote:

Wind is done, phone number already moved to Public. In downtown Toronto Wind just doesn't work due to congestion.

I'm not ready for a new phone yet, but I see Nexus 4 on kijiji for $120, what do you think?

Add a bit more and you can get a brand new phone...

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/moto-g-3rd-gen ($216)

Phones on Koodo works on Public Mobile.

The Nexus 4 has a pretty cruddy battery life, I used to have one.

TeddyBoom

Wind is done, phone number already moved to Public. In downtown Toronto Wind just doesn't work due to congestion.

I'm not ready for a new phone yet, but I see Nexus 4 on kijiji for $120, what do you think?

(or Nexus 5 for $220?!)

deltatux

@TeddyBoom wrote:

Yep... From GSM Arena:

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 - i9020A for AT&T

and

HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100 - i9020T for T-Mobile

So I guess 850 and 1900 bands for Bellus, which ya, everything seems to say that now that I'm searching the right thing.

That really sucks, obviously a new phone had to come along at some point, but...

@TeddyBoom, device still works on WIND if you don't want to let go of the device. I would recommend something like the Moto G or the ASUS Zenfone 2 instead if you want to stick with going for Public Mobile.

TeddyBoom

Yep... From GSM Arena:

HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 - i9020A for AT&T

and

HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100 - i9020T for T-Mobile

So I guess 850 and 1900 bands for Bellus, which ya, everything seems to say that now that I'm searching the right thing.

That really sucks, obviously a new phone had to come along at some point, but...

deltatux

@TeddyBoom wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I understand about LTE, not too worried about that. I can't seem to see/connect to a network though..

Like, when I search networks (while outside, so signals are strong) I see 302490 (which I think is Wind), MOBILICITY, and CAN Rogers Wireless Inc.  Obvioulsy none of those is right.

GT-i9020T was released for mainly AWS networks in Canada at the time. Probably the only reason why you only see WIND, Mobilicity & Rogers is because that Rogers is the 2G GSM network. Thus, I don't think it will work then. The GT-i9020A was the variant sold by Rogers at the time.

TeddyBoom

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I understand about LTE, not too worried about that. I can't seem to see/connect to a network though..

Like, when I search networks (while outside, so signals are strong) I see 302490 (which I think is Wind), MOBILICITY, and CAN Rogers Wireless Inc.  Obvioulsy none of those is right.

deltatux

@TeddyBoom wrote:

I checked my IMEI before switching, but now I'm starting to think that my Nexus S GT-i9020T isn't compatible.. Not a penta band phone? Yet I've roamed on Rogers before?!? (Yes, I know Public Mobile is Belus and not Rogers, is that the issue?)

Any help would be appreciated.

@TeddyBoom, the device should work on Public Mobile as the device is the T-Mobile version of the Nexus S. Do note that since it's a 5 year old device, you will not have access to the LTE network.

Though since my Nexus S died a couple years back. I cannot confirm, so we'll see what others say about this. When you used to roam on Rogers, did you get access to their 3G/HSPA network or were you stuck on 2G/EDGE?

Need Help? Let's chat.