cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS tracker

Zyphrius
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am looking into getting a GPS tracker watch for my son. It can take a SIM card. Will a public mobile SIM work with these?

11 REPLIES 11

Zyphrius

Will do have to wait till I get paid again to order. So expect an update in a few weeks

let us know and write us something about how easy to setup , would like to know too 🙂

Zyphrius

Thanks for all the input. I will order it soon and get the $15 plan and see how well it works out!

This watch apparently uses a legacy GPS specification, not as fast and fancy and feature-packed as the latest-and-greatest GPS protocols but still accurate enough for typical consumer needs. Especially since it also uses "enhanced location services" through cellular and wifi triangulation, wherever they're available.

Apparently the battery life isn't so great. Especially if you actually use the thing for chats and calls and games and stuff, as kids will do. An external battery pack or spare plug-in charger might be needed. No power = no radio signals.

Parents will have to install some sort of app on their own phones (or computers) to properly configure and use all the oversight features built into this watch. This could be an issue if the generic Chinese manufacturer's software doesn't support your particular version of iOS/Android/etc.

The thing is compatible with Bell networks - so it's also compatible with Telus networks. Public Mobile's $15 Limited Talk plan or $25 Unlimited Talk plan would work, and there's no possibility of being overcharged for exceeding the Talk or Data limits (they just get cut off until you or your AutoPay pre-pay for more) - but you'll have to rely on whatever software is built into the watch to babysit your child's activities online.

@Zyphrius   just be aware, the interface of these watches might not be the easiest for setup.   While it should work in PM but it might be a bit of effort to setup the proper APN.  It is a  good choice  to buy it from Amazon as you can easily return in case you can't set it up.

here is another thread earlier about a similar GPS watch

GPS phone for a child cannot connect to Public Mob... - Community (publicmobile.ca)

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Zyphrius :Now that you know that the GPS watch works with Public, you might as well mark this thread solved by going to the post the answered your question and click the accepted solution button near it, that way will help others in future that have same question as you about that watch.

Zyphrius

Great thanks!

PM uses these bands:

(sorry has to post pictures of my text.. somehow it was blocked when I type)

softech_0-1625443474500.png

It should work according to the amazon page:

softech_0-1625443356726.png

Important thing is .. what bands it has ?

It should work according to the amazon page:

softech_0-1625443356726.png

Important thing is .. what bands it has ?

PM use
Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).
4G = B2 (1900), B4/B66 (2100 or 1700), B5 (850), B7 (2600), B12/B17 (700), B13 (700), B29 (700-Suppl. DL), B30 (2300)
3G = B2(1900) B5 (850)

Minimum recommended phone specs:

3G UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA: B2 (1900) and B5 (850)
4G FDD-LTE: B4, B12

Zyphrius
Need Help? Let's chat.