cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS navigation issues since joining Public Mobile

ThreeCs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I joined Public Mobile last month, I previously with Telus. I believe they are on the same network so I was expecting no disruptions in the quality of service I was receiving.

Since joining Public Mobile, I have been having issues with my GPS navigation in Google Maps. I stop receiving navigation instructions and the problem seems to stem from my phone not being able to get a clear GPS location as I drive. 

Some troubleshooting details:

I am using the same phone, an iPhone 6, as I was with Telus, and GPS navigation was working fine then.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled Google Maps, checked the navigation settings, etc. For good measure, I tried using Apple Maps navigation as well with the same problem. I do not use bluetooth, i use an AUX jack to connect to car.

My question to this community is if anybody else has had this problem since joining Public Mobile? Does GPS rely on data network at all or Public Mobile wouldn't even be relevant in this issue? Likely a hardware failure? Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

Carsony
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm having this issue since changing over to public mobile. It was done yesterday when I was with Rogers. But today on Waze it's unable to locate me. It updates periodically but never on the road I'm on.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
Honestly it sounds more like a phone issue then a network really at least from my personal experience

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

sometimes i find the easiest way to troubleshoot is to pop a sim into a different phone or in our case pop a new (from a friend or family member) and see if teh issue happens.

my gut says its a phone issue. maybe a factory reset is needed?? *not an apple person so my troubleshooting is limited

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ThreeCs, sorry to hear you are having some issues.  Yes you are correct Telus and PM are the same network.  As for the issues with the GPS not sure why as I don't think you require data for GPS so it shouldn't have anything to do with your switch to PM.  But since you are using the same phone makes me wonder.  Have you had any hardware updates since your switch to PM that may have affected Google Maps

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is the first time I have seen any reports of location related issues.  Phones use GPS with assistance from cell towers to locate.  I can say with good confidence the problem is not with this service.  The location information you get from a tower is the same whether you are a Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile or roaming customer.

Need Help? Let's chat.