cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequencies for Data Only

jsphonorio
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I am about to move up to Canada(Toronto specifically) and I want to figure out if my phone will work with the needed frequencies. I plan on getting  a simcard and using just the data option.

This is the phone that I have but I have had seen contradicting information regarding the frequencies.

Instead of trusting this. I downloaded Mobileuncle MTK and use the band mode to take a look at the bands that are on my phone:

p1p2p3

Does this look like this would work for me? Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11

jsphonorio
Just wanted to update: Got my phone and sim card and it is working great. I went with a data only plan but I get 4g and 3g. Had to set up the APN but after good to go.

jsphonorio
The display is great IMO. The camera is definitely the weakest part of the phone. It's not bad for my uses but it doesn't compare to a high prices smartphone. The rest of it makes it worth it for me.

On another note. I've always used Hangouts for the US and so far Fongo has worked well or me while I have been job searching. Have a Toronto area code number and I sprang the 6 or 7 bucks for texting for 6 months.

rodjames
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Nice app!  Never knew that existed.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your phone will work with any network in Canada for both voice and data, but Public Mobile is great for reception and value.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

How is the camera and display? Is the camera good in low light and is the display sharp and colors accurate?

Thanks.

jsphonorio

Well, Ive had the phone since April and I really like it. I live in the US and I have a wifi hotspot so I hadnt bothered with a sim card. I do really enjoy it so far. I had a Note 2 when I lived in Korea and when that I broke I decided to give this chinese phone a try. It has a little more weight then my note 2(I dont mind) but feels very solid and looks nice. My only real complaint is the speakers are a little low. When talking on the phone(I use hangouts for US and Fongo for Canada) I have no complaints. If the Sim works from PM everything will be perfect for me.

ckl

@jsphonorio And let us know how the phone is.. like in a mini-review because it seems like a really good phone for the price (I'm assuming it's USD I'm looking at).

Thanks.

jsphonorio

Wow three responses very quickly! Thank you and I will update the thread when I find out just for future reference. Cheers

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

UMTS at 850 and 1900, LTE on bands 2, 4, 7, yep you're golden.  I don't think Telus uses 17....actually they may be.  The primary band is 4.  2 and 7 are defintiely used in some areas but 4 is the main one everywhere LTE is available.

Welcome to the community, @jsphonorio!

EDIT:  @imm1304 and @ckl beat me to the punch by minutes.  Ah well.  Welcome anyway!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl

From the pictures, it looks like it will work. PM uses band 4 LTE off the top of my head.

BTW, that looks like a nice phone.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jsphonorio, Hello from Toronto!  

Welcome to Toronto and PM  🙂

The frequencies needed for PM are WCDMA: 850 and 1900.  4G/LTE: Mainly Band 4 (1700/2100), also band 2, 7, 17 in some regions.

From the attached images, I can see that your phone looks fully compatible with PM.  Make sure you unlock your phone.  Fell free to post here again with any questions.  

Need Help? Let's chat.