cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Free unlock codes for Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 edge

@imm1304 Interesting. I always thought the 3rd party unlock code providers were using underhanded means to obtain the unlock codes. If they've been obtaining them from the manufacturer the whole time, then that is very bewildering to me.

I don't know - I feel cellular carriers and phone manufacturers make strange bedfellows. I wish more people would buy their devices unlocked straight from the manufacturer. Which is one of several reasons to love PM - they let you use any device, as long as its unlocked. Plus, they don't sell their own devices.

Mayor / Maire

You are also right @7789849803.  There are underhanded ways of calculating the unlock codes as well.  But, I learned as a long term Sony phone user, that there is such a thing as Sony unlock code database that other companies subscribe to.  I am sure Samsung has an equivalent.  This would be the sure way of getting correct codes from the source.. used by the reputable unlocking services.  

Interestingly, I had unlocked several Samsung devices myself by reading out a hex file from the phone following instructions on the XDA developers forum.. that was 5-6 years ago.  I think they made unlocking harder since then.  

Mayor / Maire

@imm1304 I used the same hex dump reading technique to unlock an HTC device (I think it was the Evo) years ago. Based simply on price considerations, I suspect that the vast majority of the unlocking companies are not subscribing to any official database. Samsung and other large conglomerates would surely not deal with small time vendors who charge $10-$30 for unlocking a device. I suspect these providers are largely using a computational mechanism to generate (find) these unlock codes themselves.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

There is a slight difference in the way the locking with the S7 works versus the prior models of Samsung phones. The S7 comes unlocked in box and then locks to the first sim card inserted, it reformats and deletes the information so if you set up the phone and then put in your SIM card it's time wasted. 

I'm not sure how that connects exaclty to Samsung being able to unlock the device themselves but prior to that when Samsung phones were carrier locked it was done prior to activation.

Mayor / Maire

@Griff Thanks for chiming in. I do recall reading about this new setup in S7 before.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

this is not true in the US i dont know about canada though

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It seems this method no longer works anymore. Samsung has fixed it... 

Mayor / Maire

Samsung has always had ability to unlock any device.

They choose not to do so.

The recent devices had an auto lock feature.

If you bought it unlocked from Samsung store, then inserted certain carrier SIM card the phone will lock itself to that carrier.

So Samsung was forced to offer unlock codes to clients.

This deal still works but just be smart about it.

Don't tell them you bought a locked phone on a 2 year term from a carrier.

Tell them you bought an unlock device and not it is no longer unlocked.

(They even warn you about this on retail packaging, go check out the J1 at your local Costco store to see what I mean)

Mayor / Maire

Thanks for the clarification @kav2001c

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You are right @kav2001c. However, people on RFD have reported not receiving the code after many days, even the online rep said the code would be sent to them... 

So I ordered a code from eBay... Time is valuable. Hopefully it would work.