Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free unlock codes for Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 edge

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hello everyone!  

Samsung is giving unlock codes for free for the S7's: 

1. Start a live chat session from Samsung's Contact Us page: http://www.samsung.com/ca/info/contactus.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170
  2. Inform the rep that you would like to unlock you S7 or S7 edge and provide the IMEI & Carrier info
  3. In a few (2+) days, you will get the unlock code via email.  

Hope this helps.  I am not sure if they would give unlock codes for free for other Samsung phones.  

If anyone wants to try their luck with other models, please post an update here.  

EDIT:  Confirmed to be working only for S7, S7 Edge, Galaxy Grand Prime.  Not other models. 

68 REPLIES 68

@Lennon024 wrote:

Is it for canadian samsung devices only?

Samsung Canada will only provide support for devices that they distributed.

@Lennon024  go to the site and ask nicely. https://www.samsung.com/ca/  contact them using live chat . Tell them your phone is off plan, you are the owner and ask them to unlock it for you. The worst they can do is say no. 

@Lennon024 wrote:

Lennon024
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Lennon024

It says on page that itis only for cancadian products eh.

@djaworski wrote:

I just tried this, they ask for bill of sale! I have a used phone and they will not support me.

Why not buy unlocked on eBay?

Explained (to me) earlier in this thread. 

Samsung has no legal obligation to unlock devices from 2016, the CRTC/CCTS rules were different back then.

Samsung has no legal obligation to anyone other than the original owner of the device. They aren't at all involved in aftermarket trades/deals/retail, they'd prefer you buy new Samsung instead, lol. Your options are basically buy an unlock code on ebay or get the original owner of the device to helo with free Samsung unlock. 

djaworski
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just tried this, they ask for bill of sale! I have a used phone and they will not support me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patrick001 wrote:

How can I unlock it

Either your previous provider or Samsung themselves.

Patrick001

How can I unlock it

Patrick001

Pls how can I unlock my galaxy s7 edge?

imm1304

Hey @Zia_219,

Since last December, the Canadian phone companies are required to unlock the phones for free as long as u r still their customer.  Also, all new phones now are required to be unlocked or be unlocked for free on demand from the customer.   

Zia_219

I've always hated the locked phone thing. It's just a big money grab and annoyence, I'm happy that big companies like Samsung are allowing users to unlock their phones. Hopefully one day there will be no such thing as a locked phone.

@Korthwrote:

Not just an old thread, but also a largely unnecessary one.

Any phone you purchase through a Canadian carrier must be unlocked free by the carrier once it's fully "owned" (paid for) by the end user, as per CRTC Wireless Code.

Any new phone you purchase elsewhere already comes unlocked.

These "secret" unlock codes are only needed for locked phones which fall through the cracks - old devices, aftermarket devices, used devices, foreign devices.  Many such phones must exist, and many of them would be Samsungs ... but probably only for one or two more years at most before they die, break, or become too obsolete to keep using.

@Korth

This thread was started in 2016 - phones bought through a carrier were locked at that time. Carriers only started to provide free unlock codes when the according regulations were announced / came into effect December1/2017.

Even before December 2017 there were legit reasons to have your carrier phone unlocked before your contract was up - traveling abroad and using a local SIM must top that list.

Also, Samsung devices are known to lock to the network of the first SIM inserted, even if they are sold unlocked. It's in Samsung's best interest to help customers, who run into problems associated with this "feature", free of charge.

Considering that this thread is 6 pages long tells me that it is not unnecessary...

Not just an old thread, but also a largely unnecessary one.

Any phone you purchase through a Canadian carrier must be unlocked free by the carrier once it's fully "owned" (paid for) by the end user, as per CRTC Wireless Code.

Any new phone you purchase elsewhere already comes unlocked.

These "secret" unlock codes are only needed for locked phones which fall through the cracks - old devices, aftermarket devices, used devices, foreign devices.  Many such phones must exist, and many of them would be Samsungs ... but probably only for one or two more years at most before they die, break, or become too obsolete to keep using.

@Dlw83175wrote:

Is this link available in the us 

Not sure what link you are referring to... easy to try out, no?

BTW - this is an old thread, it's always better to start your own with a detailed query if you want to be sure to get help in a reasonable time frame

Dlw83175

Is this link available in the us 

Dlw83175

Is this available in the us 

imm1304

Hi @ryandanielt and @TripleG

Happy to hear this worked for you. 

This thread has saved a lot of people money over the last year.  🙂 

TripleG

I just tried this today with my Galaxy S7 Edge. I had an unlock code from Samsung in minutes!!

They didnt even ask what carrier im with all they wanted was the imei. Thank you very much!!!

ryandanielt

stumbled across this thread and went on live chat and person on live chat provided me with unlock code in seconds. confirmed and working! galaxy s6

Daitayer

what is the best way of how to unlock samsung s7/s7 edge?

imm1304

Hey @Merps,

The instructions are for Canadian users.  The link takes you to Samsung Canada.

In yoru case, you gotta go to Samsung USA's customer service via call or online chat.   Just navigate to chat with Samsung.com customer service rep and give it a go.  Good luck!

Merps
Hey!
I just wanted to update that for the S7 Edge, at least in USA with AT&T as original carrier, they say I have to go through AT&T for the code. 😞
I'm in process of moving to t-mobile and my number is already ported, guess I gotta wait for the promotional card to come in so AT&T can cough it up.

imm1304

Hey @Sasuman21,

Read the very first post on page 1 of this thread.  Instructions are there to contact Samsung customer service online and ask for the unlock code.

Sasuman21
Hello guys how to unlock my phone samsung galaxy s7

imm1304

Hi @DJangles!

You're welcome.  Happy to hear that this worked well for you.   Thanks for reporting back... it will encourage others to try as well.  

DJangles

Just unlocked my Freedom Mobile variant. From the time that I started the live chat to when I was sent the unlock code, the entire process only took about 15 minutes. What a gem I stumbled upon here, thanks OP.

imm1304

Hey @Debfilli,

The link provided in the first post is to Samsung Canada webpage. 

Just go to Samsung USA website and do the same thing... it should work.  

Debfilli

They wouldn't help me because I live in the USA , and thats where I bought my phone. Is there a way around this?

imm1304

@Ride_GSXR, happy to hear they are still giving out the unlock codes.  Thanks for updating us.

Need Help? Let's chat.