cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FaceTime not working over cellular.

Antoinegl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey there,

I'm having trouble using facetime audio or video over cellular.

The message I am receiving is:

No network connection

Connect to a Wi-Fi network to use FaceTime.

I have a plan with 3G and everything else works fine over cellular.

I'm using an unlocked iPhone X.

Can anyone confirm that FaceTime works over cellular with PM?

Does anybody know how I can troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you.

Antoine

9 REPLIES 9

tsearay

iphone had this problem new activation ported number, tried suggestions above without success. Cannot remeber reading this solution, found I believe a straight forward fix.

Settings>General>scroll down to reset>reset network settings>confirm.

Phone will reboot everything worked, no turn this off turn that off etc.

fwiw, T

@Korth wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I give you credit for having some of the longest diatribes.

@will13am wrote:
... you are a dollar short and a day late with the response.  Just acknowledge the efforts of others who contributed to the solution.  Save the diatribe for the next thread.  Anyway, that's what I would do.

Please lookup the definition of "diatribe" before continuing to accuse me of it.  My private msg box is always open if we need a private discussion.

My apologies on abuse of the word.  In my little urban dictionary, it is just a long winded dissertation that is not longer useful or necessary. 

@will13am wrote:

I give you credit for having some of the longest diatribes.

@will13am wrote:
... you are a dollar short and a day late with the response.  Just acknowledge the efforts of others who contributed to the solution.  Save the diatribe for the next thread.  Anyway, that's what I would do.

Please lookup the definition of "diatribe" before continuing to accuse me of it.  My private msg box is always open if we need a private discussion.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Anonymous and @Korth, both of you are a dollar short and a day late with the response.  Just acknowledge the efforts of others who contributed to the solution.  Save the diatribe for the next thread.  Anyway, that's what I would do.

Already solved.

But to answer questions asked in the opening post:

Yes, FaceTime works on Public Mobile.  I've personally used or seen it used on iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, 6s Plus, SE, 7 Plus, 8.

Public Mobile (along with the whole Telus network) uses Wireless Video Experience Optimization which sometimes interfered with FaceTime (and YouTube, Netflix, etc) streaming a few years ago.  But based on my personal experiences with streaming video (on PM) in recent years, these "optimization" technologies seem to have been refined enough that they no longer cause any issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone

You might have issues using FaceTime for one of these reasons

If none of the above reasons apply to you, and you still can't make or receive FaceTime calls, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has a Wi-Fi connection to the Internet or a cellular-data connection.
    Learn more if you're using router, firewall, or security software that restricts Internet access. 
  2. If you're trying to use FaceTime over cellular, make sure that Use Cellular Data is on for FaceTime. Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data, and turn on FaceTime.
  3. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that FaceTime is on. 
    • If you see "Waiting for Activation," turn FaceTime off and then on again. Learn what to do if you can't activate FaceTime.
    • If you don't see the FaceTime setting, make sure that Camera and FaceTime aren't off in Settings > General > Restrictions.
    • Make sure that you have the correct phone number or email address listed. 
  4. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn on Set Automatically.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Update your device to the latest version of iOS

Good Luck

Antoinegl

Thank you.

Facetime was not showing under that menu because the FaceTime app was not installed on the phone. However that never prevented FaceTime calls to be made over Wi-Fi.

I have installed the app, toggled on and everyhting works, thank you.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm not familiar with iPhone but is it possible that face time has a setting to only use WiFi to prevent massive data usage? You could check in the app setting to see if there's a WiFi only option you need to turn off 

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Not sure if this will help but an article says to try this:

If you're trying to use FaceTime over cellular, make sure that Use Cellular Data is on for FaceTime. Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data, and turn on FaceTime

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204168

Need Help? Let's chat.