cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM Radio - how to enable ?

kennylkg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

So i know my phone (Samsung Galaxy A8) is FM radio capable since it worked before i switched to Public Mobile.

Now, how do i get Public Mobile to enable that for me?

Anyone know? 

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

@kennylkg wrote:

Hello,

So i know my phone (Samsung Galaxy A8) is FM radio capable since it worked before i switched to Public Mobile.

Anyone know? 

Thanks in advance!

@kennylkg , the FM radio on the Samsung A8 (2018) works again.  The update containing the July 2019 security patch re-enabled the feature.  The next update with a date of of August 20 is also fine.

If anyone has been holding off on software updates on this model for this reason, or even used ODIN to roll back to a previous system software version, feel free to now proceed with the official Samsung updates.

@broacher wrote:

And yet....

https://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/

It's there that I discovered that my device might have worked with NextRadio (live, through the radio chip, not data) if the carrier was Virgin. But this is an American list, so I don't know for sure. So if the SIMM card determines the carrier, then its obvious deals have been established between the phone manufacturers (Samsung, in my case) and the carriers to cripple or enable this piece of hardware that you paid for. The manufacturers don't need to mention it, and the carriers sell more data.

So I guess the question is, why can't Public reinstate this hardware fucntion if other carriers have shown that they can?

The current sim card doesn't detemine anything.  Devices of the same model from different carriers may have different software installed. In the situation discussed in this thread, Samsung had the feature disabled.  The manfacturers tend to blame the carrriers, while manufacturers often blame the carriers.  On a Fido support forum, one of their customers complained about this same issue, and was given a repsonse blaming the Nextradio software, while ignoring the fact that the Samsung update caused the problem, even going as far as making something up about support being removed from that model (event though it was never in the list).

broacher

And yet....

https://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/

It's there that I discovered that my device might have worked with NextRadio (live, through the radio chip, not data) if the carrier was Virgin. But this is an American list, so I don't know for sure. So if the SIMM card determines the carrier, then its obvious deals have been established between the phone manufacturers (Samsung, in my case) and the carriers to cripple or enable this piece of hardware that you paid for. The manufacturers don't need to mention it, and the carriers sell more data.

So I guess the question is, why can't Public reinstate this hardware fucntion if other carriers have shown that they can?

@kennylkg wrote:

thanks.

that was what i was looking for in terms of why it stopped working.

Ah, didn't even consider Samsung could have done that 😞 -- i would have not updated the OS if i knew.
Hopefully they bring it back, considering that it is required that is enabled those days

There is no reason to disable this feature other than the manufactuer having some type of cozy agreement with the carriers to to try to force customers to use data to listen to music.  With this being in the news so much in the last couple of years and there being some support for banning this practice, it's shameful that Samsung would do this.  The manufactuer and the carriers enjoy pointing the finger at the other and it seems that neither will take responsibility for it.

There's talk on some websites including XDA about how to rollback to Samsung's official Android 8.0 software.

kennylkg

thanks.

that was what i was looking for in terms of why it stopped working.

Ah, didn't even consider Samsung could have done that 😞 -- i would have not updated the OS if i knew.
Hopefully they bring it back, considering that it is required that is enabled those days

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kennylkg wrote:

Hello,

Anyone know? 

Thanks in advance!

A Sim Card doesn't determine if FM radio that is built into the hardware of the phone will work or not.  An Active Sim card gives you access to a wireless network, it has nothing to do with what hardware is built into phone

When I think back, my first experience with FM Radio on a cell phone was a Nokia flip phone, and a crazy proprietary connection, single earphone/antenna cable.  It was good for local reception, but not much else.  I didn't bother with FM on the cell phone through my next few devices, until my current LG Q6.  I still don't it as much, but it came in handy during flooding in February 2018.

@stonechucker wrote:

All I need on my LG Q6 is a set of wired headphones with the 3.5 mm jack.

@Triguy wrote:

I don't it has anything to do with your cell provider.  See this article.  This may work with the A8 if your phone is capable. 

https://androidtutorial.net/2017/06/27/access-fm-radio-samsung-galaxy-s8s8/

The LG G6 has an awesome FM radio, both sound-quality wise and in signal reception.  Some other phone models that have this feature have lousy reception even when using the same wired headset as the antenna.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kennylkg wrote:

Hello,

Anyone know? 

Thanks in advance!

I have this same phone.  I am also uspset about this because the FM radio worked in Android 8.0 on this phone.  The feature was disabled by Samsung in the Android 9.0 update.  You'll need to put as much pressure as you can on Samsung Canada to re-enable this feature.

This is actually a thing. My BB OS10 lost the FM radio on one of the last updates. Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 will lose it (I haven't done that yet). But then those are now defunct OS's so that's that.

@kennylkg wrote:

Hello,

Anyone know? 

Thanks in advance!

I have this same phone.  I am also uspset about this because the FM radio worked in Android 8.0 on this phone using NextRadio.  The feature was disabled by Samsung in the Android 9.0 update.  You'll need to put as much pressure as you can on Samsung Canada to re-enable this feature.  Short of modifiying the system software and installing custom ROM, the feature cannot be used unless Samsung turns it back on. I would suggest that you make some noise about it on Facebook and Twitter until Samsung budges.

(thread moved from Retail to Phones &Hardware)

All I need on my LG Q6 is a set of wired headphones with the 3.5 mm jack.

@Triguy wrote:

I don't it has anything to do with your cell provider.  See this article.  This may work with the A8 if your phone is capable. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.