cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiences with OnePlus Two?

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So, I just pulled the trigger on a OnePlus Two. I've been with my Nexus 5 for just over two years, it's served me well, but the itch got to me and by chance I got an invite on their forum, so thought, what the hell...

Anyone here have experience with OnePlus devices? Things to look out for, etc? I'll certainly report back once I have it in my hands...hopefully it isn't a long wait. And for anyone who wants invites, I should have some in the near future Smiley Happy

31 REPLIES 31

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @youbme,

Thanks for conducting the experiment. Nothing ventured is nothing gained!

The reason that I was tentatively interested in an invitation was due to my 2015 Moto G LTE having a maximum battery life of only 10 hours on Wi-Fi. It's running 5.1.1, and is set at 3G. It also overheats, but not to the point of becoming dysfunctional. It's 4 months old. I use it exclusively for reading and publishing posts in the community; creating and updating Google (Word) docs; reading CBC and BBC news articles; and, the occasional 5-minute outgoing call.

Does anyone have similar experiences, or a fix for a 10-hour battery?

Cheers.

youbme

@Martin,  so I tried calling a Gatineau number from Ottawa and it would not go through.  You're welcome regarding the invites,  the lack of Fm radio is annoying, especially since the OPX has one.  I wanted to offer them here before going to the OnePlus forum,  they are valid for a week,  so let me know if anyone is interested. @makkahn28,  yes, OnePlus phones are  not for everybody,  but I have found the OP2 to fit my needs perfectly at the moment.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @youbme,

Thank you for continuing the test.

I was tempted to say yes to the invitation when I read the specs and found that there is no FM radio. I listen to CBC-1 FM in the wee hours of the morning. Thanks for the thoughtfulness.

I'm perfectly happy with my Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3  5.5 In

1+series would have to offer something substancial and FAIR price to convince me

youbme

Hi @Martin, So I tried calling a Gatineau number from Lanark (an hour west of Ottawa)  and it did not go through.  I will try again when I'm in Ottawa to confirm it is not possible.

On another note,  I have three OnePlus2 invites if anyone is looking, send me a message!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @youbme,

Were you able to conduct the Ottawa-Gantineau test? If so, what were your findings?

Cheers.

youbme

So far I can confirm that I cannot make a call to Gatineau, but if I'm across the border I'll make sure to see if I have any luck receiving or making calls, though it is highly unlikely. And I'm on a province only plan, no talk addons.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @youbme,

According to PM's official position, an Ontario resident, with a provincial calling plan, cannot call Gatineau, QC numbers....yet, the community member, many months ago, claimed otherwise.

Please remember that:
1: you must have an Ontario provincial calling plan,
2: you must successfully call a Gatineau number from Ottawa, and
3: you must receive, while in Ottawa, a call from a Gatineau number.

If you have a Canada/USA or international long-distance add-on, your Add-on and Usage histories must show no activity after calling Gatineau.

Thank you in advance.

youbme

I couldn't wait,  just tried calling the transit authority in Gatineau and wouldn't go through,  I guess it's a serious border for PM!

youbme

@Martin,  that is really interesting.  I have not tried any Gatineau numbers,  but I'll see if I can test that out and will let the forum know.  I suspect that it would work,  as the areas around here are quite low density, few area codes and quite a bit of travel between Ottawa and Gatineau.

Martin
Legend
Legend

@youbme,

Many months ago, a PM customer stated that he lived in Ottawa, but was able to call Gatineau numbers and receive calls from same, though he had an Ontario provincial calling plan. He claimed that Ottawa-Gatineau was a single calling zone, even if one only had an Ontario or Quebec calling plan.

In light of your working in Ottawa, and if you have an Ontario calling plan, have you tried calling Gatineau numbers or receiving calls from that area? If so, were you successful?

w00t! Welcome to OPT 🙂

youbme

I'm typing this message with my new OnePlus2.  I have to say,  coming from the nexus 5 this is a significant upgrade for me.  So far,  everything is running smoothly,  even updated to the latest software and all is good.  I was worried the size would bother me coming from the 5, but I think this is the biggest I can go and comfortably use one hand for day to day applications.  Also,  the fingerprint reader is awesome!  Smiley Very Happy In terms of PM service,  the APN was immediately recognized and 3G is working well (no LTE where I live,  but will make sure it works when I go to Ottawa for work on Monday).

youbme

Thanks for the update @Marioo. I'm expecting my OP2 to come in today, the wait is almost over!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

The SIM cards are mailed from the GTA, and, once you receive notification of shipment, they take 3 to 7 business days to be delivered by regular postal mail.

FYI.

@Marioo Wow - that's cool! Thanks for sharing.

Marioo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@youbme hey, just activated my service with PM. I've had it for about 2 days and I have not encoutered any issues with the LTE. 

LTE Speedtest

I cannot say, I have never tried the 1+1 or the new one. Up to personal preference

Marioo

@7789849803 haha sweet, I actually ordered another one and paid the $20, will ship out tomorrow but I'll just leave the extra one for another family member who will most likely switch to PM too.

I think the SIMs actually ship out from Ontario as well, so you should presumably get the envelope this week itself.

Marioo

@7789849803 Kk thank you, I just received the email notifiying me it's been shipped. How long does shipping take to Ontario?

@Marioo wrote:

Do you get an email notifiying you when it's been sent by any chance? 

@Marioo Yes, you will. It's usually sent out within 1-2 business days after the order is placed online.

Marioo

Hey @youbme, I'm actually awaiting the sim card shipment but I will let you know as soon as I get it. Do you get an email notifiying you when it's been sent by any chance? 

@7789849803 LOL

Thanks for that, @Marioo. I guess the fingerprint scanner wouldn't work for someone like me - my fingers are always greasy or sweaty Smiley LOL

youbme

Thanks for your feedback @Marioo.

How long have you been using it on the PM network? Are there any issues that I should be aware of with the 2.1.2 update? I've been lurking on the oneplus forums and it's making me a bit nervous to see how many issues people are having, then again, the same can be said for just about any tech forum...including this one! 🙂

My shipment is still "Processing"...hopefully it will be here soon...

Marioo

I have the oneplus 2 and I love it, I got the bamboo backing along with it and it looks awesome. Fingerprint scanner is also really good as long as your hands aren't wet or greasy. 

youbme

Thanks for the comments...I definitely agree with you, @gamewiz102, regarding the benefit of Nexus phones - that was my initial reason for the Nexus 5 and even got the Nexus 4 for my wife.

But, looking at the 5X, it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to the 5, and the 6P is ridiculously priced (esp. in CAD). Don't get me wrong, the software experience is one of the most important aspects, but with my 5, the camera has been disaster (updates have made things worse, I have to turn off trusted face for it to function reliably), battery life is bad (not a huge gripe, but annoying), and the build quality is questionable - have had two hardware issues (resolved under warranty) in the past two years (cracked screen in the first week and cell radio stopped working after 1.5 years).

I have no idea what to expect with the OP2, and from online forums and reviews, I go back and forth about my impulse purchase! I will certainly let you all know my impressions once it is in my hand...

gamewiz102
Nexus's are great! I had a second generation nexus with one gig of ram, ran lolipop with no issues. Nexus phones are specifically tailored for Android.

I've owned a Oneplus One before - at a time when it was a pathbreaking device. Now, it seems like there are so many other devices at more or less the same price points. Not to mention that the whole invite wait destroys buyer morale. I'm at the point where I'd rather buy a used Galaxy S6 Edge on Craigslist for $350 than paying the same amount for a brand new Oneplus.

youbme

Thank you for your input @7789849803. I was initially interested in the OPX, but after reading reviews, decided it wouldn't be much of an upgrade from what I have now. The 2 looks decent, but also has mixed reviews, mostly related to lack of NFC and wireless charging, which I couldn't care less about. The hardware and build quality seem awesome, hopefully not too good to be true...

Need Help? Let's chat.