cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Emergency Calls Only still

I put up a bit of tongue in cheek fake angry post about this issue a week ago, but it never really gained any traction. Time for me to take it more serious.

For at least two weeks, possibly longer, I've been getting "Emergency Calls Only" in areas where I always had service before. The phone works fine when at work (95% of the time anyway), but at home it is almost always "Emergency Calls Only" and texts just spins and then errors out without sending. Now if I reboot the phone, the service will work again for around 30 seconds before it fails again. It's virutally impossible to text or call from home anymore. Threre have been no changes in the home, no new tech, no new construction projects near me or anything else I can think of that could interfere with the signal. I've tried reseating the SIM, tried rebooting countless times and have tried other phones. I also notice the same issue happens while driving (my car's dash shows when my phone connects and its signal strength and when the service drops away it shows a symbol for No Service and I can't call out (handsfree) when that symbol is up.) I've been with PM for over a year now and this wasn't really an issue before (other than my first month or so). Tried the lost stolen trick, my account is active and even have a balance on the account. I've got Unlimited Calling/Text. I borrowed a signal booster that works with Bell and it didn't really do anything for me here. I could try buying a Telus one, but I assume it would have the same results (what with being the same towers and it being a Bell tower near me.) I've also tried forcing 3G to see if that would help.

My Primary is the S8+ but I tested with the, LG G Flex, Lumia 650 (oddly strong antenna) and an A300 Flip phone. Same results (but that flipper was always a bit poor.)

I'm at a bit of a loss what to do next (other than maybe buying a house closer to the tower but that is a bit of an expensive solution!) The service map shows no outage in my area.

I mean I could go to the darkside and join Rogers (due their stranglehold on my city) but I need Bell tower support when travelling for work (there is no Rogers in some of those places).

Any ideas?

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Emergency Calls Only still

@PsygineerMaybe try the Field Test Mode in your phone to diagnose the issue? Do you have any Telus empire account to test with? I know it is a pain to tabulate the data, but at least it should be able to give you some useful information.

@GinYVR wrote:

@PsygineerMaybe try the Field Test Mode in your phone to diagnose the issue? Do you have any Telus empire account to test with?

I get the following when doing that
Network: Not Available

Mobile network state: Disconnected

Service state: Out of Service

Signal strength: -113 dBm 0 asu

Mobile Voice network type: unknown

Mobile Data network type: unknown
Roaming: Not Roaming.

I have no other Telus SIMs/accounts I can try. No one I know has Telus here.

BTW when rebooting and jumping back into the Field Test I get

Network: Public Mobile

Service state: In service

Signal strength: -101 dBm 19 asu

Mobile Voice network type: UMTS

Mobile Data network type: HSPA

After about 30s-60s, it flipped back to everything Not Available. It's kind of acting like I am in a Deadzone, but it used to work fine here. Also when the network is unavailable it still shows me having 2-3 bars. Even when I was in a plane at 20,000 feet where I had no right at all to have signal, I had 2-3 bars (which the IT guy next to me got confused by just as much as I did.)

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Psygineer  over a hundred dbm is pretty low.. have you checked Nikkel's cell tower map to see if any tower got moved or repurposed recently? or walk closed to a Telus one while you are on an evening stroll?

The reason I asked about if you have other Telus cards is I wonder if it is an account issue or just a Telus issue.

Hi @Psygineer, can you send me your address? Nearest intersection is fine. You can send in a private message if you prefer.

I'll check the status of those sites for you.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Have you reported to the moderators? If the issue persists, they typically open a case to have engineering support look into it and possibly deploy network-side fixes. Understand your frustration, but beyond helping with device-side and some account-side stuff, there's not much we can do in this public forum.

Oracle

@Psygineer wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@PsygineerMaybe try the Field Test Mode in your phone to diagnose the issue? Do you have any Telus empire account to test with?

After about 30s-60s, it flipped back to everything Not Available. It's kind of acting like I am in a Deadzone, but it used to work fine here. Also when the network is unavailable it still shows me having 2-3 bars. Even when I was in a plane at 20,000 feet where I had no right at all to have signal, I had 2-3 bars (which the IT guy next to me got confused by just as much as I did.)

0 asu on 3G is no signal.  Unfortunately, your local area has poor Bellus network coverage.  If this a recent happening, perhaps a critical tower in the area is down.  If it is typical, then perhaps a trip to the dark side is needed. 

GR
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Psygineer  on any Samsung phone go in the dialer and dial *#0011#  and it brings up a screen that you can view what LTE or 3g band your on and your signal strengths and other stuff 

@GinYVR wrote:

@Psygineer  over a hundred dbm is pretty low.. have you checked Nikkel's cell tower map to see if any tower got moved or repurposed recently? or walk closed to a Telus one while you are on an evening stroll?

The reason I asked about if you have other Telus cards is I wonder if it is an account issue or just a Telus issue.

I am currently standing in front of the nearest Bell tower to my home. There are no Telus towers showing. The Map shows one tower relatively close to where I am (less than 2KM), and two more that are within 3-4KM.

Forced 3G: Signal: -82 dBm 38 asu

LTE: Signal: -108 dBm 32 asu

@will13am wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

0 asu on 3G is no signal.  Unfortunately, your local area has poor Bellus network coverage.  If this a recent happening, perhaps a critical tower in the area is down.  If it is typical, then perhaps a trip to the dark side is needed. 

I honestly don't want to do that! I would have to drop my PM plan down to the $15 plan and only use it once every other month or so when I am out of Rogers coverage (most of our remote sites are Bell tower only). I'd also need to steal back my Lumia 650 from my parents because it is my only Dual SIM phone.

The Map shows one tower relatively close to where I am (less than 2KM), and two more that are within 3-4KM.

I mean it could be the old S8+ and the even older A300 and LG G Flex are just starting to wear out. The Lumia 650 (a little older than the S8) never seems to lose connection but has a crashing issue where it just goes black screen until you hold the power button for 30s and it reboots. None of my phones are all that recent and all of them are second hand. Maybe I will try a Pixel 3A or Oneplus 7 before going to the Darkside (I honestly don't even like cookies all that much).