cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elderly and low vision

Ednaroach
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looking for opinions on best phones for elderly and low vision for ease of use.

18 REPLIES 18

Soapes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Really think an iPhone would be good for you! Easy to use and a clear vibrant screen. 

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ednaroach wrote:

@Ednaroach   Hi there!!! For us all to assist you by throwing in our 2 cents worth of advice, could you please take a read so far, and let us know more about all the handicaps this individual may have....so we can help you with some better background of the individual?

@NDesai wrote:

@Ednaroach May be iPhone 6S or newer can be a good choice. Let's get an opinion from @stonechucker and @Luddite on this.

As a low vision person, the iPhones of the size of the SE are not good for low vision clients.

The larger the screen, the better.   Get an iPad if you must use IOS/iPadOS, and enable continuity.

Cornel_I
Customer Support Agent

Hi Ednaroach,

Please note that currently all smartphones do have the option to turn anything and everything on the device's display, to Black and White; this Black and White mode (known also as Greyscale mode) is found normally under the "Accesibility" menu of the device (both Android and iPhones). 

When contemplating purchasing a new smartphone please ask the store rep assisting you to demonstrate the above capability, as it may be very helpful for your described request.

Good day to all!

Cornel

Moderators Team

88cranston

@Luddite wrote:

@Ednaroach wrote:

Take them out with you to any kiosk and play with the phones. Better yet, start them with an old one of your own, assess it, and go from there.

Exactly. Kiosks and Apple store. Shop and compare don’t buy until it meets the needs of whatever handicaps the person may have. And then leave it for a day or two and let the research sink in and then verify what they have narrowed down their thoughts to buy.  Don’t get into APPS, Siri and the like. You may actually overbuy buy feature wise but you want meet the needs first. The extra stuff is likely confusing. 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Ednaroach wrote:

Ths Duro phones have big buttons and loud speakers. Check that it has 850/1900 3g.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Ednaroach wrote:

Take them out with you to any kiosk and play with the phones. Better yet, start them with an old one of your own, assess it, and go from there.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Agreed, we need more information. 

A simple cheap little flip-phone with "big" brightly-lit buttons is good enough for voice calls. Especially for tech dinosaurs who don't know (and don't trust) newfangled computer gizmos. 

A touchscreen phone is far better for texts/emails/etc... assuming you can see well enough to read it, navigate the complexity/menus on it, and you have good enough hand-eye to TYPE on it (because if you can't then flip-phone is better ). 

A larger device with a larger screen (tablet, laptop) might be needed with to magnify for poor vision.

Most newer devices have speech recognition and speech output (Siri, etc). Great for some people, endlessly frustrating for others.

You can get a lot of smartphone for $100 or $200 these days, it's ridiculous to spend $$$$ buying a phone for anyone (elderly or not) if it costs so much more just because of fashions and features which they don't understand and won't ever use. 

88cranston

@popping wrote:

Touch screen phone is not a good choice for older senior over 80.  A flip phone with big keys and a standalone SOS button is the best choice.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ushining-Unlocked-Button-Standby-Seniors/dp/B07Y54P93H/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=eld...

61cHP74RYsL._AC_SL1001_

Give me a break....geepers!

Are we talking male or female? Glasses or no glasses? Arthritis or no arthritis?

Be it a button or touch screen.....come on! Seniors some times over press and have bad hand eye coordination.  We need more information!!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Touch screen phone is not a good choice for older senior over 80.  A flip phone with big keys and a standalone SOS button is the best choice.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ushining-Unlocked-Button-Standby-Seniors/dp/B07Y54P93H/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=eld...

61cHP74RYsL._AC_SL1001_

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@Ednaroach May be iPhone 6S or newer can be a good choice. Let's get an opinion from @stonechucker and @Luddite on this.

You are not serious?  4.7 inch screen for someone with vision challenges?  

If budget is tight, it's not a bad phone if you don't mind simply adjusting the text size. 

Let me ask again, you are not serious with this recommendation are you?  Suggesting an iPhone as a budget option?  Android devices are the only choice here.  The A5 pro is way more phone than I had expected for the price.  Way exceeded expectations for me.  I never thought $100 usable phones were at our doorstep.  

No i am not serious. Most people still pick iPhones anyways.

@NDesai wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

If budget is tight, it's not a bad phone if you don't mind simply adjusting the text size. 

Let me ask again, you are not serious with this recommendation are you?  Suggesting an iPhone as a budget option?  Android devices are the only choice here.  The A5 pro is way more phone than I had expected for the price.  Way exceeded expectations for me.  I never thought $100 usable phones were at our doorstep.  

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I vote for the Umidigi line as well.  They produce phones with pretty big screen areas.  I picked up the A5 pro a couple of weeks ago.  The extra bit of size has been fantastic for me.  I just ordered their newly released F2 model which has an even bigger screen (6.5 inch screen, under $200).  

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

All phones have some ability to increase text size and colour contrast for easier viewing, but screen size is always paramount.

If you've got $$,

Apple has an iPhone xs max which retails for $1,400 ish with a 6.4 inch screen.

Or look at the Samsung Galaxy note 9 at $900 ish.

Or if you're on a budget consider this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/UMIDIGI-Unlocked-Smartphone-International-Version/dp/B07TFZS9MW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1...

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Ednaroach wrote:

@EdnaroachNot sure about iphone but andriod has display modes for helping people with poor vision like high contrast. You can also increase the font size / object size in the settings menu on all phones.

The real question is, are the going to be using it as only a simple phone, with a regular dial pad or will they be checking their email, sending pictures, web surfing and using a touch screen. With this question answered I could give some more specific suggestions.

Need Help? Let's chat.