cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVERYONE PLEASE TAKE CAUTION

ash195541
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had a very unfourtunate experiecne today as i was called around 4 o clock being told it was the cra and i was uner inspection for fraudulance, the first call was an automated machine it adressed me by my legal name which i dont go by as im bigender and when i called back i said who is this the man say its the cra may i have your name and sin number please i replied with no this isnt the cra because if it was you would call from a 1800 number not 5872066195 than he says its not the cra its your **bleep**er and i replied omg gross im 16 he says ooh yea baby 16 i like i like than i replied wtf u creep and hung up.  if you recive a call saying its the cra its not cra will not normally call you they will send you verified mail saying you have to call them with an included security code and they will also not ask for your sin

6 REPLIES 6

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

These CRA scams are pretty well known by now.  I'm surprised anyone is still falling for it.

Reporting it to the CRA is probably a waste of your time.  1) there's basically nothing they can do about it, and 2) they are well aware of the issue.

For more info, please see these pages on the CRA's site:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/security/protect-yourself-against-fraud/scammed.ht...

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/security/protect-yourself-against-fraud.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/security/protect-yourself-against-fraud/sample-tel...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

My cell and wireless home phone lines receive calls from the CRA and a weekly basis.  When I have time I always call back and try to engage them in mindless conversation.  They want to waste my time I will waste theirs.  If they are pushy and want a SIN number, I make one up on the fly.  If they tell me it's invalid, I tell them you are correct.  That is why they are after me for tax evasion. I insist that is the number I use to file taxes. That is the number they need to use to go after me. It can be fun if the right person calls. Many hang up quickly because they know they are being played.

I had one a few years ago about the M$ virus thing. I told them they don't know that. Their proof is that a certain filename will be on my computer. It's a standard file on pretty much everybody's computer. Anyway...we stayed on for like half an hour. I don't know why he stayed so long. There came a point where he's asking to be my friend. It felt kinda pathetic of him. I'm assuming he wasn't from these parts but still.

But yeah...I'll take the time if I get a human. If it's a recording it goes into my block number contact where it never bothers me again. If it's a company with a human then I tell them to remove me from their calling list. It seems to work.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

My cell and wireless home phone lines receive calls from the CRA and a weekly basis.  When I have time I always call back and try to engage them in mindless conversation.  They want to waste my time I will waste theirs.  If they are pushy and want a SIN number, I make one up on the fly.  If they tell me it's invalid, I tell them you are correct.  That is why they are after me for tax evasion. I insist that is the number I use to file taxes. That is the number they need to use to go after me. It can be fun if the right person calls. Many hang up quickly because they know they are being played.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@ash195541 wrote:

I had a very unfourtunate experiecne today as i was called around 4 o clock being told it was the cra and i was uner inspection for fraudulance, the first call was an automated machine it adressed me by my legal name which i dont go by as im bigender and when i called back i said who is this the man say its the cra may i have your name and sin number please i replied with no this isnt the cra because if it was you would call from a 1800 number not 5872066195 than he says its not the cra its your **bleep**er and i replied omg gross im 16 he says ooh yea baby 16 i like i like than i replied wtf u creep and hung up.  if you recive a call saying its the cra its not cra will not normally call you they will send you verified mail saying you have to call them with an included security code and they will also not ask for your sin

That is just terrible! I get them sometimes too but never like that. No one should be spoken to like that. Sorry you had to deal with that.

lat34hat34
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've gotten so many calls from scammers like the one you mentioned below. My dad, unfortunately, had a really bad experience. Not to the degree of yours (I'm sorry that he said those things to you, that's disgusting), but he told me they said horrible things to him about my grandmother and all of this stuff. The best thing to do is just not answer the calls. If you see a number that isn't familiar, don't pick up. If it's important, they'll leave a message and a number.

My mom still gets calls and let's them go to voicemail, even though she's already reported it to the real CRA. She just deletes the voicemails telling her that the police are on their way lol

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I received a similar CRA call couple months ago.  First thing that guy ask who is my lawyer to get me out of jail as warrant officer is coming to pick me up unless I pay the CRA in an hour.  I said no and hang up.  Called CRA to check my file and report the incident.

Need Help? Let's chat.