cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESim

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

Esim came up in another thread in relation to phone capabilities. I understand that PM does not support esim, though both Koodo and Telus do. Is this lack of esim support by PM a function of being 3rd tier or is there a technical reason? Just curious.

24 REPLIES 24

Brumas
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It would be nice.  I was just given an i

phone 14 Pro for my birthday and would love to use its capabilities.

Maybe I am old fashioned, still find physical sim is much better when it is time to troubleshoot phone issues.  But of course, it is good that the choices are here.  But I definitely not like Apple take the physical sim away completely 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I don't see the urgency. Is it weight? Pulled out the kitchen scale and it didn't register a gram. Effectively zero. Is it the tray? Fully loaded dual sim and sd card...zero. Maybe my scale is broken.

I can get the convenience if they'd let the customer "remove" the esim and re-use it in another phone rather than opening a tray or other sim places. Obviously for small devices the esim would be preferred so as to be able to make the device as small as possible.

So is it just because the phone can? My phone can do all sorts of accessibility things. I don't use them. I paid for them. Did I waste my money?

HI @Brumas  

With Apple pushing it so hard for eSIM and Lucky already on board months ago, I expect to see something coming soon.

Brumas
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yup, Lucky has eSIM so there's no good reason for PM not to have it.  I'd happily pay $1 to use the eSIM on my new Apple iPhone 14Pro

mig39
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So the only reason I have used Lucky Mobile is for my kids.  

For all their data plans (including their $15 one), once you've used all the data, they don't cut you off, they just reduce the bandwidth.  So it's really really slow, but still works great for iMessage, e-mail, maps, GPS, etc.  Even some light web browsing.  No video really, but you can even stream a low quality Spotify.

Which is great for my kids.  Every single time I've given them a SIM with data, they immediately use all the data in a day or two 🙂   

This is a feature I wish Public Mobile had -- once your data is used, you get 128kb/s or something slow like that, until you add more data or your billing cycle renews.  If Public Mobile had this, I'd move 3 SIMs over right away 🙂

mig39

Lucky does indeed offer its own eSIM.  Scroll down on their page (linked above).  Hit the iPhone button. 

you scan that QR code and it loads the SIM on for you. 

I have one in my iPhone SE. 

Lucky does have one advantage.

They offer a large array of long-distance add-on options. Their rates to any given country are comparable (or slightly worse) than Public Mobile. But they do have a much larger list of countries to choose from - if you need to call one of these places then Public isn't even in the game and Lucky wins by default.

@Korth  good catch with it's misleading marketing ..

one thing Lucky certainly worst than PM.. they don't even offer US roaming..  I feel I am  "Lucky" to be here  🙂

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mig39 wrote:

So Lucky Mobile (owned by Bell, but an even cheaper competitor to Public Mobile) offers e-sims.

Lucky Mobile is owned by Bell. Lucky Mobile is a "third-tier" competitor vs Public Mobile.

Lucky Mobile is not cheaper than Public Mobile. Their base plans and prices are essentially identical to Public Mobile. But Lucky Mobile gives you the option of always spending more through "service passes" and other surcharges, while Public Mobile gives discounts and incentives through Rewards (and Gifts).

Lucky Mobile does not offer eSIMs. They're basically advertising that they're compatible - you can have an active Lucky Mobile SIM card plus an active eSIM (with any eSIM-compatible carrier) in your dual-SIM phone - just like you can with Public Mobile or with anyone else. In short, they're basically trying to impress customers who already have eSIM-capable phones while not in actuality offering any eSIMs of their own - just like Public Mobile and everyone else on the "value-priced" tier.

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/phone/dual-sim-card

mig39

So Lucky Mobile (owned by Bell, but an even cheaper competitor to Public Mobile) offers e-sims.

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/phone/dual-sim-card

And the e-sims I've tried lately (from Poland, Israel, and Hong Kong, have all been on "budget" carriers.  

So not having e-sim support isn't really about being a budget carrier.  

If anything, I think it would make it even easier for people to sign up.  "Here, scan this QR code" is much easier than "order a SIM and we'll ship it to you, or go to Walmart and find one."

not just eSIM, there are lots to catch up, VoLTE, WifiCalling, etc. 

But PM is a LOW budget provider, NO budget to start new initiatives unless it is in a life and death situation.   I don't expect seeing any of those soon.

An to be honest, eSIM is not widely common yet.  Most new phone does not have this.  Public will not spend the money for something not going to be a default standard for another 2 years.  PM does not even know if it will survive another 2 years itself. LoL

@BearFBI wrote:

PM SHOULD be the one offering E-SIM. Think of it, it's an online carrier, online support, no retail stores, e sim would make sense, no ?

I've been gone from the community for a while because life got in the way. Decided to log in today and nothing changed, as usual.... No new promos or special features. 

There should be no technical limitation. People are able to get an E-SIM from lucky mobile. The agents are able to generate one following Bell's steps from their larger carrier. If I was a support agent for PM I'll probably have a way to use an ESIM. 

Now my guess is that PM dosent want to train their agents on how to generate ESIM's and having a way to get an ESIM online would require some programming to work. 

So most likely it's possible on the carrier end, it just has to get incorporated into the site. 

Motto used to be....

images.png

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM SHOULD be the one offering E-SIM. Think of it, it's an online carrier, online support, no retail stores, e sim would make sense, no ?

I've been gone from the community for a while because life got in the way. Decided to log in today and nothing changed, as usual.... No new promos or special features. 

There should be no technical limitation. People are able to get an E-SIM from lucky mobile. The agents are able to generate one following Bell's steps from their larger carrier. If I was a support agent for PM I'll probably have a way to use an ESIM. 

Now my guess is that PM dosent want to train their agents on how to generate ESIM's and having a way to get an ESIM online would require some programming to work. 

So most likely it's possible on the carrier end, it just has to get incorporated into the site. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

I don't "need" an e-sim right now. Having recently bought a Pixel 5, I already had a physical sim from my non supported Sony phone. I did buy the Pixel in large part due to the e-sim capability though. I travel a lot (or used to lol) and the ability to buy e-sims online and load instantly to my phone when I arrive somewhere was the drive behind it. Anyone that already has a physical sim doesn't really need an e-sim. For new customers? I wonder how many actually turn away when they realize PM doesn't offer e-sim support. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@mig39 : Yeah I don't get it. You'd think a low-budget place like this would want to lessen their manufacturing and distribution costs of plastic cards and packaging thereof and allow people to apply a SIM # to their eSIM. Charge like a dollar for the privilege.

They will, eventually. Once eSIMs are standard issue unexcitement in every phone.

But for now eSIMs are a commodity which sells phones and phone contracts (at a premium). Consumer demand is kept stimulated while supply (availability) is kept conditional. Telus won't allow their own subsidiaries to become their competition. Bell and Rogers play the same money game for the same reasons.

But I don't expect Public Mobile will be the one which breaks this tacit agreement first. They will quickly follow the others, but they won't break the ice or take the lead or set the trend. They don't have to, they're not desperate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mig39 : Yeah I don't get it. You'd think a low-budget place like this would want to lessen their manufacturing and distribution costs of plastic cards and packaging thereof and allow people to apply a SIM # to their eSIM. Charge like a dollar for the privilege.

mig39

I'd love to be able to use an eSIM instead of a physical one.

I've been using a few when travelling, and they're very convenient.

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@Keezma wrote:

Can we bump up this thread to let PM know we'd like eSIM to be supported?

I believe you just did...... 🤔

Hmm...yep this thread got bumped up but still unlikely that PM will have an ESIM anytime soon! 😊

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Keezma wrote:

Can we bump up this thread to let PM know we'd like eSIM to be supported?

I believe you just did...... 🤔

Keezma
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can we bump up this thread to let PM know we'd like eSIM to be supported? It would be a nice benefit to have available to us.

Canadian carriers are still treating eSIM capability as a commodity. A new feature which encourages consumers to buy (certain selected) new phones from them.

PM doesn't sell new phones. Telus and Koodo make a lot of money selling new phones. They'll keep charging extra for stuff like eSIM and VoLTE as long as people keep paying extra for stuff like eSIM and VoLTE.

I have read reports of customers migrating their eSIMs between Bellus vs Rogers vs Shaw. But I think for the most part the Big Three pointedly choose to ignore (and limit) all the potential advantages offered by eSIM interchangeability.

To be honest, I think they need to address the increasingly rampant SIM fraud/swap problems before they embrace reconfigurable eSIMs.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I think it maybe due to PM being a third tier and technical support side.  Mainly, Apple and Google have adopted it but it is still not widely available in all phones.  The carriers need to have the technical support forums them and there are only a few of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESIM

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Likely just 3rd tier.

Awhile back Tiana from PM accidentally had an excel file screenshot that was showing in her public photos. Was like a work sheet of what they are looking into for 2020. (Before covid).. ESIM was on it. 

Need Help? Let's chat.