cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-SIM support?

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

I do not know much about them, but the next phone I am looking to purchase (Pixel 2XL) is rumoured to come with E-SIMs (non-removable carrier writable).  I am wondering how (and if) these will work with PM?

For now it is just a rumour, but I am guessing that these will be used more and more in the future.

17 REPLIES 17

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c I'd rather have (and do have!) the flexibility of two actual SIM slots.  I make good use of mine.  I use my Koodo SIM in slot 1 for calls, texts, and primary data.  In SIM 2 I have my Fido tablet plan SIM for some extra data and data down in a few key areas I don't get a Telus signal*.  I also made good use of when I travelled to Europe.  Rather than paying Koodo's exorbitant $12/day international roaming fee**, I kept my Koodo SIM in slot 1 and used it only for reading incoming texts, and used a local SIM in slot 2 on a data plan for everything else for much cheaper than $12/day.  I'll take two physical slots any day of the week!

* primarily in the undergound portions of the "Expo" line in the GVA SkyTrain system, where Rogers & Freedom have exclusive agreements with TransLink for coverage

** on the bright side, at least it's an option with Koodo if desired 😕

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@ManaeSIM is basically RUIM (CDMA SIMs) all over again

I am laughing at how some people are falling over themselves just because Apple said it

I am betting Telus/Bell/Rogers and even Freedom would probably not even support it in Canada

It seems more suitable to a roaming provider (worldwide SIM card) since calling carrier, sitting on hold for 2 hours, then picking plans, running credit checks etc is a horrible idea

eSIM will be postpaid only

So no chance Public supports it

Haiggy

PM would need to find another way to get their $10 🙂

@closng wrote:

So it looks like it's no longer a rumour and the Pixel 2 does support eSIMs.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/04/google-pixel-2-phones-use-esim/

I wonder how long before the network providers will start supporting this technology.

My guess @closng it'll start with the big 3, and then eventually migrate down to carriers such as PM. At least Pixel 2 will still has the nano slot...

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So it looks like it's no longer a rumour and the Pixel 2 does support eSIMs.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/04/google-pixel-2-phones-use-esim/

I wonder how long before the network providers will start supporting this technology.

@stonechucker wrote:

My understanding, at least at this time, both a hardware SIM, and a eSIM if equipped, are available on devices, except for the Apple Watch.

@stonechucker the newest Apple Watch series 3 is equipped with an electronic SIM. You don't need your iPhone nearby to use it anymore. How that works, with both devices having the same phone number, I'm not sure.

Just complain to the CCTS if they refuse to release the eSIM.  Doesn’t sound like rocket science.

My understanding, at least at this time, both a hardware SIM, and a eSIM if equipped, are available on devices, except for the Apple Watch.

Taekgun

IF.... and a big IF..... that's the way it works, then I'm all for it.  I hate to be the pesimist on this, that carriers would use this new feature as a means to keep you from leaving as it could be an inconvience.  But, if its a simple process then bring it on. Smiley Happy

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

This was also discussed in a thread from Tuesday...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Death-of-the-SIM-card/m-p/188725

My understanding is that you'd "set up" the carrier on your phone and you can easily switch between them (like the image I posted in the thread above). The question remains, however, if the electronic SIM will work with all carriers, or just the big 3? I rather like the idea, because if I make a quick trip to the US, I don't need to look for my US SIM card... but instead just switch to the US carrier directly on my phone. Pretty slick if you ask me...

It probably wont implement any time soon.  Too much disdvantages from esim for most current user, unless they use the same phone and/or provider for long time.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

you don't want your nice unlock phone to be a slave of the service provider.

RLBL

@Jeremy_M wrote:

Indeed, a great question @RLBL

@ShawnC13 @RLBL, right now, there is no talks of PM using this technology. If anything changes, I will make sure it's communicated through the Community.

JM

Well I am glad I asked. This will influence my next phone decision for sure (I hope the rimour is not true and I can just pop in my current Nano SIM)

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Indeed, a great question @RLBL

@ShawnC13 @RLBL, right now, there is no talks of PM using this technology. If anything changes, I will make sure it's communicated through the Community.

JM

Taekgun

Agreed, completely valid concerns and IMHO, I think it would cause headaches in the BYOD world.  I sure hope this isn't the direction the industry is going in, not unless theres a better explaination of how E-SIM would be handled by carriers - seems a bit restrictive.

RLBL

@Mana I think those are all valid concerns...

Mana
Mayor / Maire

I know that we don't have much information right now but so far E-SIM sounds like a terrible idea right now.

-  This kills the ability of simply swapping sims in unlock phones when you need it (to test another phone or just use multiple phones, etc).

-  This makes you more dependant on the service provider to activate the e-sim, and may be inefficient.

-  This may give the service provider more control over your unlock phone.  After December 1st when the provider are required to unlock the phones, this may give them another way to lock or be dependant of them. 

- This will be difficult when you are travelling with your unlock phone and you need to get the e-sim support in a foregin country.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@RLBL, this is a great question.  @Jeremy_M any insight or talks on how this will/won't be supported in the future by PM.  I think this will become the future standard of the industry.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.