cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumbphones recommendations?

bumblebee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looking for a PM-compatible dumbphone. I have a smartphone which I'm very happy with, but I want to buy a dumbphone which I can bring on walks to totally disconnect from the internet but still be contactable in case of emergencies. Ideally it would have just texts and calls - no browser, email, Google assistant or apps. Because I'm planning to switch between it and my smartphone, it would need to take a nano SIM. I don't care how it looks as long as it has the right personality. Does anyone have one that they recommend? Thanks in advance!

17 REPLIES 17

bumblebee

😂

@bumblebee wrote:

@esjlivI do just disable my data sometimes, but it's not the same as being truly cut off. If I get curious about something or bored of the book I'm reading the temptation is always there to just turn it on again and go online

@bumblebee Resist the urge! You can do it!

esjliv_0-1624405978243.png

bumblebee

Wow, thanks everyone for the info! This is super helpful.

@Anonymousgood point re data, this was an error on my part. I knew that 3G was being phased out soon and didn't realise that the PM network didn't already support voice over 4G. Didn't mean that I need data per se

@darliciousGood point, I haven't even been looking around for second hand phones. Still stuck in the which-one-to-get phase. The A329A looks like it might be what I'm looking for, thanks for linking to the review

@esjlivI do just disable my data sometimes, but it's not the same as being truly cut off. If I get curious about something or bored of the book I'm reading the temptation is always there to just turn it on again and go online

@softechYes the Alcatel GoFlip3 had caught my eye already, I think it might be an option. A strange thing about these phones is that the listings often don't mention exactly what functionality they have? I've seen some phones that look like dumbphones, but if you dig around they actually have Facebook etc on them, which I don't want. Take a lot of digging to find the exact details.

Thanks again all for the info, much appreciated! I'll update here if/when I get one.

@bumblebee 

I can tell you the A392A has fm radio and an mp3 with bluetooth. And a tiny google browser but I never bothered to try and use the internet on it. But you could get your email etc....and you can hook it up or sync with your pc to import your calendar and things like that.

Edit:

Here's a blog about the phone by someone who bothered to explore all of its features...

http://www.stormgods.com/telephone/alcatel-onetouch-a392a-cell-phone/

Anonymous
Not applicable

To use any phone on this service as a phone requires UMTS/WCDMA/3G using one or preferably both of 850 and 1900 (bands 5 and 2). With that you can do texting as well.

HSPA/3G is for mobile data which also works here. Which you would need for MMS.

You decide on screen size. You decide on typing method. You decide on operating system. Yes there's an operating system buried in any cell phone.

But 3G is slowly being phased out. We see some of that in MB now. If PM will continue to operate then they'll need to move talk up to LTE/4G using VoLTE.

nbrew
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So the off brand ones listed up above are decent? I’m in the market for a dumb phone but want Google Calendar and Contacts integration.

Back in the old days, a Sony Ericsson k750 had these features (with SyncML) with music playback, with hardware buttons and no browser that would keep you addicted to your phone.

@bumblebee 

Where are you located? I just took a look thru craigslist and found several flip phones for sale. Ranging from brand new to collector's items. I even found my alcatel one touch A392A for $40! A barely used go flip for $50....worth a peruse.

if you have a old 3310 , use it till 3G dies..

if you are buying it from someone else, then don't.   Buy a better one that works on 4G as well.  Not sure when the day will come, but it will eventually...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bumblebee : But you stipulated no data. *shrug*

nbrew
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was also considering an old 3310 but I’m unsure whether it will last until the 3G shutdown in a few years.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Unfortunately, these are now call "Senior" phones,

Did you check around Amazon?  I think these are decent ones:

- Uleway 3G Senior Flip Phones Unlocked Canada SOS Big Button Basic Cell Phone

- Ushining 3G Basic Cell Phone Dual SIM Card Big Icon Unlocked Feature Phone with LED Torch Easy to Use Mobile Phone (Rogers, Telus, Bell)

- Ushining 3G Flip Phone Unlocked SOS Button Dual Cards Standby Flip Phones Unlocked Canada Large Button Easy to Use Unlocked Cell Phone for Seniors Kids(Red)

- Easyfone Prime-A1 3G Unlocked GSM Senior Flip Cell Phone, Big Button Hearing Aids Compatible Easy-to-Use Basic Cell Phone with Charging Dock(Black)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@bumblebee wrote:

Looking for a PM-compatible dumbphone. I have a smartphone which I'm very happy with, but I want to buy a dumbphone which I can bring on walks to totally disconnect from the internet but still be contactable in case of emergencies. Ideally it would have just texts and calls - no browser, email, Google assistant or apps. Because I'm planning to switch between it and my smartphone, it would need to take a nano SIM. I don't care how it looks as long as it has the right personality. Does anyone have one that they recommend? Thanks in advance!

@bumblebee 

If you are only looking to switch to only obtain texts and calls, then why not just use the phone you have and really like already, but just disable your Data (you would still get calls and texts) when you go on walks?

@bumblebee 

I have an alcatel A392A as a back up phone. Its a little workhorse but is only available refurbished. Alcatel's newer versions should all be compatible. 4G is not a must but eventually as telus upgrades to 5G they will decommission the 3G network but they have to upgrade pm to voLTE calling before they do that. 

Factofy Direct has a coolpad flip phone on sale for $69.99 this week. This might be one of those times that craigslist is a safe bet for once.....check that its unlocked though. Most flip phones will take a full size sim so you need the frames from a tri cut sim card to place nano sim back into try your local retailer that sells pm to see if they extra frames that they normally toss out and ask for one.

IMG_20210612_235700220.jpgIMG_20210612_235520109.jpg

bumblebee

Thanks @Anonymous . I have seen plenty of dumbphones around, but I'm hoping to get specific recommendations on ones that work well, that people are happy with, and that definitely work with Public Mobile. A lot of the very basic ones I've seen don't support 4g, for instance. Scrolling through the phone compatibility dropdown on the PM website, it says a lot of them aren't supported. So hopefully someone can point me a specific model that definitely works...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bumblebee : Basic, cheap flip phones are still around. The market seems to target them as so-called seniors phones. It will take you back to the old days of pressing the 7 key 4 times to bang out an S but it works. Staples has some iirc. London Drugs. The big woman online.

Need Help? Let's chat.