cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Sim potential?

Kate7222
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I have a Public Mobile account and my work has asked if I can get a dual Sim Phone and get another account with the same provider that will be a work line.  Is that possible with public Mobile if I get a new iPhone that has Dual Sim?

Thanks]

18 REPLIES 18

allenw

Correct, but I'm also assuming you want a phone with optimized network speeds that can extract the maximum benefit of the network speeds you pay for rather than seeking out compatible bands within Canada because you won't be receiving  LTE with certain international phones because they're simply not entirely compatible with our current infrastructure. Now if you want 2 public mobile sims, you'll have to buy an international iPhone or android model that supports two physical SIM cards in a tray slot but a sacrifice has to be made somewhere.

Phone "dialer" software can handle call-forwarding. If the stuff built into the OS doesn't have this option then you can always download (free) dialer apps which do. (such software is called "dialer" but basically runs all the phone stuff on the phone, dialing, answering, call history, etc.)

The PM (Telus) voicemail system might also have call-forward options buried somewhere in the menus. I think. Maybe.

You can access your PM voicemail from any other phone number by calling your own phone number and entering your PIN.

Kate7222

Thanks for all the help! So now I'm wondering if the next best solution to use PM for both numbers is to put the 2nd SIM in my old phone and have that forwarded to my cell phone? Or would I not be able to tell that it's coming from a different number? (Ie work calls that I have to answer professionally)

You get whatever Apple gives (and whatever Apple denies) you when you buy iPhone.

And Public Mobile does not support eSIM. I don't expect they will for at least a few years, if ever.

But many, many Android phones do support dual-SIM. They have two (or more, as many as four!) physical SIM card slots.

Usually only one SIM can be active at a time, you toggle between them with software settings, and the inactive SIM(s) can basically do nothing except maybe notify you of incoming voicemail events. Sometimes it matters which slots are used, the "secondary" SIM(s) have certain technical limits. Often you'll have to choose between a second SIM card or a storage card, it's a common tradeoff because of design complexity (and cost) in the mainboard logic. A few phones can have multiple SIMs (along with a storage card) fully active simultaneously, it's usually a proudly-advertised feature which usually adds to cost.

You may want to do a little research or read reviews if you need a "dual-active SIM" phone. But if you just need two phone numbers and two bills to keep work and life separated then any "dual-SIM" device will do.

A second phone for work might even be the best solution, especially if your employer pays for it.

@Kate7222  based on what I see here, no, https://en.gsm.cool/specs/apple-iphone-11. It will support 1 nano SIM and 1 Esim  which isn't compatible with PM.  @srlawren maybe you can here , by suggesting some better model dual Sim phones.

@Kate7222 wrote:

So I can use two SIM cards from PM in an iPhone 11 and have calls coming in to both numbers?

kafa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Kate7222 If your iphone 11 is canadian model, then no, you can't, because that phone has only one physical SIM slot and one eSIM (virtual) slot

Only iphone 11 made for China, Hong Kong and Macau supports 2 physical SIM slots.

Kate7222

So I can use two SIM cards from PM in an iPhone 11 and have calls coming in to both numbers?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@allenw wrote:

You'll need an iPhone XS/XSMax/XR or newer, or a Google Pixel 3/3XL or newer that supports dual SIM in canada. Secondly, Public Mobile doesn't support eSim at the moment, only the bigger providers such as Telus, Bell, Rogers, or Fido have eSIM capabilities at the moment. If you want to be able to use both phone numbers in one phone, you'll need a phone number and plan from one of the above listed carriers along with your public mobile phone number and plan to be able to use them both in the same time. 

@allenw the info you gave is mostly correct, except that the phone models you recommend all provide the least flexibility, given that their second SIM is eSIM only.  There are other alternatives out there with dual physical SIM card slots, which means you could use the PM card in either slot, as well as using another PM card or a card from another provider that doesn't support eSIM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kafa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a dual sim LG phone with PM SIM as first and a European SIM as second card.

All you need is a phone that supports 2 SIM cards, you just switch between them when you need to make a call or send a text. You will regulary get calls and text on both lines.

allenw

You'll need an iPhone XS/XSMax/XR or newer, or a Google Pixel 3/3XL or newer that supports dual SIM in canada. Secondly, Public Mobile doesn't support eSim at the moment, only the bigger providers such as Telus, Bell, Rogers, or Fido have eSIM capabilities at the moment. If you want to be able to use both phone numbers in one phone, you'll need a phone number and plan from one of the above listed carriers along with your public mobile phone number and plan to be able to use them both in the same time. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Kate7222 Just aid your search for a dual SIM phone: iPhone does not have one that works with PM. Their only dual SIM phones are standard SIM and eSIM; PM does not support eSIM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Thanks for choosing my response as the solution @Kate7222 . Glad that we could help you.  Welcome to PM.  Here is a link on how to set up the call forwarding if you choose to  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Your-Phone-and-Plan-Feature...

@Kate7222 You activate the SIM online and test it in your current or an old  phone. You would need a separate email acount and login once it works properly foward,it to your current Sims phone number and store it safely somewhere ie an old phone .

@Kate7222 wrote:

How do you activate a SIM without it being in a phone? 

@Kate7222 wrote:

You activate all pm sims online. They do not have to be in the phone until after you activate them. http://activate.publicmobile.ca

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kate7222 wrote:

Have the SIM and type its number in during activation. You can leave it alone for up to 120 days and then insert it and pay again and off you go.

Kate7222

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@Kate7222 Yes, it is. Or for that matter two different providers.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Kate7222 Yes it is. A dual sim phone.  Or you could just activate and forward the work SIM to your present phone.

@Kate7222 wrote:

Hi, I have a Public Mobile account and my work has asked if I can get a dual Sim Phone and get another account with the same provider that will be a work line.  Is that possible with public Mobile if I get a new iPhone that has Dual Sim?

Thanks]

Need Help? Let's chat.