cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Sim Questions

onewaylove
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey guys, I just signed up for Public Mobile today.

50min / 50 msg = $10/month plan

So I have a dual sim Phone, Galaxy S6 edge + Duos (SM-G9287)

I am trying to use Public Mobile for calls/msg

2nd sim from Fido for data only. (3gb $15/month plan)

SO I inserted both sim cards, i am able to use data from fido sim

but i cannot make calls from Public Mobile Sim.

Please help me fix this problem. Thanks!! ❤️

Dial Screen.jpgNetwork Settings 2.jpgNetwork Settings.jpg

17 REPLIES 17

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I curently feel that dual SIM phones, at this time, are not worth the hassle in Canada.  They are really not designed for networks in Canada.  You can make them work, but there is always a nasty compromise that has to be paid.  Depending on the dual SIM model,  you pay a price in battery life, poor quality phone, poorly supported phone, off brand phone from a company you never heard of, can use one SIM at a time,  GSM only, clunky switching interface, and a variety of other factors that make dual SIM phones in Canada unattractive.  I offer a simpler, better solution.

Have 2 phones.  For Public Mobile,  get a flip phone or candy bar phone.  It is cheap, reliable, and has awesome battery life.  Another option is to get a wifi hotspot for the fido data SIM and have the smartphone get the data from there.  

Two devices, I understand, are not what you want.  But it a better option than any dual SIM phones out there.  Nice concept, but not a decent solution for Canada from any dual SIM phone now being sold.

Some of the latest phone would work, it must have 3G on both and let you choose which sim for data only.    So you can choose one for data, while one for 3G calling too.

wang7210
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Pls try huawei mate10 or honorv10,both have dual 3/4g slot.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Come on guys, @LEGO has got it totally right.  Stop spreading misinformation.  There does not appear to be anything wrong with the service or the phone.  One SIM slot is 4G/3G capable, the other SIM can only support 2G.  I suppose there is the option to switch back and forth the settings.  Unfortunately, doing so will either disable data or calling.  Bottom line is this phone is really too old to properly work as a dual SIM device in Canada (except with Rogers service).  The newer ones are 3G capable on both SIMs.  I have experimented with a couple of dual SIM phones myself, the first one being a Zenfone 2 which had a 2G only SIM 2 and a LeEco Max2 which was 4G/3G capable on both SIMs (non data SIM defaults to 3G only).  Back in the day, I used a Rogers service to talk and text as they run a 2G network.

onewaylove

I should've done more research before doing this 😞

Was hoping to have PM $10   FIdo $15  combo 

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@onewaylove You are correct! Woman Happy

onewaylove

Now i understand you completely. In order for it to work, I need to get a phone that allows 3g on both sims  or need to have a provider thats in 2g for call/text for one sim

onewaylove

That's not gonna work

MacMe

@LEGO wrote:

Why you even suggest inserting Public Mobile SIM card in another slot, as OP would not be able to use Fido Data anymore? Nothing is wrong with Public Mobile SIM card!

To show him that calling will work.

LEGO

@MacMe wrote:

@onewaylove wrote:

I get a notification like this

Put the Public Mobile SIM in the other SIM slot.

Why you even suggest inserting Public Mobile SIM card in another slot, as OP would not be able to use Fido Data anymore? Nothing is wrong with Public Mobile SIM card!

MacMe

@onewaylove wrote:

Put the Public Mobile SIM in the other SIM slot.

LEGO

@onewaylove As I said above, if your Fido Data on 3G or 4G, you would not be able to use Public Mobile in SIM slot 2, as it ONLY supports 2G. Public Mobile does not support 2G.

888.jpg

onewaylove

Setting 3.jpgSetting 4.jpg

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try the Public Mobile SIM card on another phone.  If it doesn't work in another phone, then you will need to contact the Moderator Team, as the problem would be with your account.

If the SIM works in another phone, then it's an issue with your original phone.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

LEGO

@onewaylove 

Is Fido Data on 3G or 4G?

SIM slot 1 supports 2G, 3G, 4G and SIM slot 2 only supports 2G.

Based on your screenshots I see that you inserted Public Mobile SIM card in SIM slot 2 and Public Mobile does not support 2G band frequencies. Public Mobile Talk is over 3G.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

The phone call portion on public mobile is using 3G, public mobile doesnt use 2G.

Try to set everything on publc mobile on 3g/4G and see if it works.  If it does thta mean your phone doesnt support 3G only.

MacMe

Maybe the second SIM slot only supports 2G? Public Mobile won't work with 2G.

Did you try switching SIM slots and see if calling works?

Need Help? Let's chat.