cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual SIM dual standby

Anonymous
Not applicable

So these new-fangled phones can have multiple SIM's. Or 1 slot can have a SIM or an sd card. They say they're dual standby. I think I understand some of these things.

I've done some searching here and certainly dual SIM's have been talked about. I think I can see that data can be designated to work on a SIM of your choice.

I have 2 accounts on the $10 plan. I have data on both. I use one account as my "main" account and the other as my "data" account. I carry around two phones for hotspotting from one to the other.

I think I gather that I could designate the data account for data usage.

Has anyone done dual standby with the $10 plan and can one switch from one SIM to the other to be able to send more texts? Can one switch from one SIM to the other to be able to use those minutes?

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

Way back in the summer, popping described it all perfectly. When I got the phone it all made sense.

You're right...why have the default texting or calling when you can select either at the moment. But I do have data set to the second SIM that is my "data" account. And yes, with both being on the $10 plan it's like I have 100 texts and minutes.

As I described in my other thread about all this...it's the auto-data when an MMS happens that is now lost from what used to be on my prior S7. But we don't need to go over that again here.

@Anonymous 

I'm sure you've figured out how the dual SIM works by now. It's easy to choose which sim to use when calling or texting even though one  is preferentially set over the other. The only drawback can be when texting or calling someone back who has called/texted you on the  nonpreferred line you phone will be prompted to use that sim to return the call or message. Since I usually use my $10 and $15 plan in it I have all three services set to the $15 plan sim card and will only use the second sim if I run out of outgoing calling min or if for some reason I need high speed data then ill change the setting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeepState wrote:

On the other hand, the OnePlus stock app let's me choose via an icon right in the message box.

My Samsung stock texting app also gives me an icon to send from either. Same with the dialer.

DeepState
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It seems that whether or not the user to prompted before texting depends on the app. I've been using the Verizon Message+ app since before I can remember. On my new OnePlus 8T I find that it only lets me TXT via sim1 (which happens to be the Verizon SIM). That's not to say I can't go into settings and change the default TXT SIM there... There's an option, but too many steps to go through just to send via a different SIM.

On the other hand, the OnePlus stock app let's me choose via an icon right in the message box.

PM works great on my 8T so far, BTW!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@felixmobile wrote:

My Samsung S9+ dual sim allows me to configure outgoing phone, text, and data separately.  I can configure them to be sim1, sim2, or prompt me to select when used.  My phone is set up to accept calls from either sim (I have a US and a canadian sim) but you can also turn this off and have it take calls from only one sim.

@felixmobile yes, what you're describing here is dual standby dual sim.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

felixmobile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My Samsung S9+ dual sim allows me to configure outgoing phone, text, and data separately.  I can configure them to be sim1, sim2, or prompt me to select when used.  My phone is set up to accept calls from either sim (I have a US and a canadian sim) but you can also turn this off and have it take calls from only one sim.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@popping your description was bang on.

Now I'll go and write my comments in the lounge.

@computergeek541  My next phone will be esim capable. I will then run dual sims with a PM plan on the lowest price for home and have an esim for data when required. I don't use data on my current travel sim.

https://www.airalo.com/canada has a 3GB for 30 days plan on 4G for just a tad over $20 ($15USD) and goes up to 10GB for about $45. They have esims available in most countries / regions.

This setup will replace my global sim (pricey but it has been convenient) that I use now, using the data sim paired with fongo, whatsapp etc when I travel.

My wife still has our original PM plan phone we use as a home phone and the one we take when we go out together.

@will13am @Anonymous 

I can certainly understand wanting to use up any promo data or bonus data on your accounts. i have 7GB total of add-on data in my account that I might never use.  I'm not so sure of continuing to pay for a plan to keep 5GB of data going.  I guess maybe $10 per 30 days is still cheaper than the competiton, but Public Mobile's data-only offerings just aren't that good comparatively when looking at either price or data speed.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Anonymous , how to select which SIM is for talk and text can depend on the calling and messaging app.  On the Google edition, you can select right within the app.  Of course, it's also possible within settings.  Data can only be controlled in settings as there's no app involved.  I use a data only SIM to go with the talk, text and data to provide extra data.  With being stuck at home, I have way too much data now.  

popping

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you @popping. But can I switch just text to a different SIM or would it have to be both talk and text?

ie. Is it only data that can be split out?

Yes.  Call, text and data can be configured independently. 

You can also configure your phone to ask you each time when you

- send a SMS/MMS 

- call out

- use data

Very flexible configuration.

Again, it is how to configure talk, text, data on my A5 Pro.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @popping. But can I switch just text to a different SIM or would it have to be both talk and text?

ie. Is it only data that can be split out?

popping

Each SIM has a phone number.  Configure 1 SIM for data and the other as talk/text only.  You will still receive call/text from the data only SIM slot.  When you call out or send out text, the talk/text SIM card will always be used.  You need to enable data for the talk/text SIM card n order to Tx/Rx MMS.  Even there is data add-on for the talk/text SIM card, it will not use data from that SIM card.

This is how my UMIDIGI A5 Pro works.  Your dual SIM phone may work differently.  IDK.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tabi159w wrote:

Yes, you should be able to switch in your messaging app or in your phone's settings. However, I think this process is a bit convoluted. It might make sense to just upgrade to the $15 or $25 plan since you're paying $20 anyway (from what I gather about your setup).

Thank you for the reply.

I wish to "normally" consume the 5gb promo add-on that the data account has and then I'll think about what I'm going to do with the data account and plans all around.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes, you should be able to switch in your messaging app or in your phone's settings. However, I think this process is a bit convoluted. It might make sense to just upgrade to the $15 or $25 plan since you're paying $20 anyway (from what I gather about your setup).

Need Help? Let's chat.