cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dtek 50

JW2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anyone been successful using blackberry dtek 50 with PM looking to change may parents over just want to make sure there hardware will not have any issue (radio frequency look like they area compatible) 

13 REPLIES 13

My first public mobile port was to DTEK50 for my wife. Phone was formerly on the SaskTel network, so it should be the same model as Bell in the rest of Canada. It works swell, and even supports HD Voice calls to other Telus/Koodo/PublicMobile customers.

StephHfx

Yes this phone is great and works fine on Public Mobile.

@JW2 wrote:

I will need to find out if it's unlocked 

Just call bell with IMEI number handy and ask for the code

It would be best to insert non bell sim like public Telus o or Fido to have the exact error message.

JW2

I'm in Ontario 

JW2

I will need to find out if it's unlocked 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@JW2Since Public Mobile uses Bell towers out East, the phone should work fine provided it is unlocked.

JW2

Bell is the previous provider it is a Canadian version of the dtek 

kerago
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Definitely should work!

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@JW2 careful about different worldwide variants. Some models have multiple frequency configurations.

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As @totalUser said, try using your Public SIM card with their phone, if you're with Public mobile. 
BTW, if your parents aren't too computer/self-serve savvy Public mobile might not be a great fit for them. Some people are content paying more each month to have small issues taken care of by an easily available representative. 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi

Are you with public? Can you test your sim inside? If not do you have any friends or colleagues who wouldn't mind doing it? You can also take the phone to koodo or telus store and ask them to try it

In general i would trust the information about the frequency, but since you are doing for elderly you want to make sure that they don't have to tweak apn settings or anything like that as well as getting puk code after they have switched, you want to do that before. 

Btw who is the previous provider?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

According to https://willmyphonework.net/ it should be compatible with PM.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@JW2 wrote:

Has anyone been successful using blackberry dtek 50 with PM looking to change may parents over just want to make sure there hardware will not have any issue (radio frequency look like they area compatible) 

Yes it will work well.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/blackberry-dtek50

Need Help? Let's chat.