cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped calls in Newfoundland

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Anyone else on The Rock experiencing dropped calls on PM lately? We moved here from ON. Experienced a lot of dropped calls in Kingston but engineering allegedly fixed it.

The fix must not've been network-wide, because lately I'm having a ton of drops after a short period (15-25 min). I notified engineering, but would appreciate if others can let us know if it's happening for them too.

9 REPLIES 9

If there is ever a time in the future where a new area is covered by LTE but not HSPA/3G/4G, you'd have the interesting situation with Public Mobile where you would have data, but no ability to make or receive phone calls without VoLTE.

T-Mobile in the US has actually depoloyed a lot of their latest network expansion with LTE only, which absolutely requires a phone compatible with their specific LTE band, as well as VoLTE. I encountered this in Montana a few years ago using a Roam Mobility SIM, where their coverage there was completely invisible to my LG G3 at the time.

mh1983

@smp99 wrote:

And remember, calls will drop to 3G on PM as VoLTE is not yet enabled for PM. So you may have LTE signal but could be unable to use calling/text. 

This is were I think Telus will need to probably make VoLTE available for all. New towers and tower upgrades will likely only have newer equipment, and if they are using Bell in the east, they have to follow what Bell is installing

Lovely. Instils a bit of fear but it's good to be aware of, thanks. So, service ultimately "works" for us but is there anything we should do to plan or is this on PM and other carriers?

@CS_Agent could you perhaps comment on PM's plans for VoLTE support? 

smp99

And remember, calls will drop to 3G on PM as VoLTE is not yet enabled for PM. So you may have LTE signal but could be unable to use calling/text. 

This is were I think Telus will need to probably make VoLTE available for all. New towers and tower upgrades will likely only have newer equipment, and if they are using Bell in the east, they have to follow what Bell is installing

mh1983

@GinYVR wrote:

@Arily4Public Mobile uses Bell network out east. However newer Bell towers only have LTE mode only, so if your phone is older and without appropriate LTE bands you won't get service.

Thank you. Now we're getting somewhere!

So, we have Q10s, both of which support LTE, though they are older phones. willphonework.png

Given these results, the Q10 supports some of the LTE bands, but not all. I'm guessing that's the reason we might get a dropped call from time to time? 

@Arily4Public Mobile uses Bell network out east. However newer Bell towers only have LTE mode only, so if your phone is older and without appropriate LTE bands you won't get service.

Arily4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public runs off Telus and when i was visiting family in NL, i had many dropped calls too. It all depends on your proximity to the telus towers.

mh1983

I understand that there are moderators here. When I say engineering, I mean the support teams who can respond to tickets that moderators open for various issues that we report and make code changes, etc. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mh1983 , your reference to engineering, what is that?  The customer service reps here are referred to as moderators.  They generally look after account related problems, not field problems affecting the network.  They could relay back customer experiences. 

Need Help? Let's chat.