cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Doogee S90C Grayed out APN

I used the Bell SIM because I had one handy.Figured if nothing else it was worth a try.

Highlighted

I have read a few posts on here about not being able to input APNs on phone.It seems that the only successes I have seen is using the freedom SIM hack and one other that realistically is beyond my capabilities.I grew up with a Black Rotary Dial Phone in the kitchen ,so that may give you an idea

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@hawkgt : I'm rather intimidated by all the rooting and ROM's and whatnot too. Especially on a new phone. I dabbled on an old LG a couple years ago but it was very nerve-wracking. I might try it again with my previous Samsung S7. Open up and completely re-arrange hardware in a PC, no problem. Fiddle with partitions and VM's, sure. But phone software???

I'm not sure one can just walk in to a Freedom store and ask for a junk SIM. I hardly think they would let you insert a new one just for this either. So then it becomes a bit of a sunk cost to buy one.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@hawkgt 

Freedom SIM card is $6.99 at Canadian Cell Supplies right now if you are interested.

716B1F99-BCCA-4BF5-90BC-3E0D99B95346.png

Highlighted

I have an old kyocera that I might play with if I get up the nerve.If I brick it oh well lesson learned that I won't try that again

Highlighted

Ok,I'll try the Freedom Card and see what happens.Nice to see the free shipping as it's a bit of a hike for me as I live just below North Bay.And I'll post if it works or not.

Highlighted

Bought a Freedom card last night and was sent out today.Should be here tomorrow or the next day..Got a suggestion from a Mod today about another hack using the Freedom Card.Will let you know how it works out

Highlighted

Alrighty,I got the freedom card today and had some time to muck with it tonight.When I installed the card the phone immediately connected to the Freedom network in my area.I disabled auto search and let the phone do a manual search.It brought up all the providers in my area including PM 3G.Before I selected PM though I went to the APN settings and lo and behold there was that elusive + sign.I manually input all PM settings and clicked on save.Then I installed the PM Sim card and I went back to networks,clicked on PM 3G.I then turned off wifi and did a Google search.Gues what,I'm using data ,it worked!!!.Now the only thing I don't know is if I do a reset if the settings will be saved.But,that's Ok is a simple solution to reinstall the settings

Just want to say thanks to everyone who replied and helped in one way or another.

Thumbs up to all of you

Regards Bill

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Long story short, there are always workaround fixes to this problem but they seem to always get patched up (and stop working) after a while.

The only sure way to get around these UI-locked "greyed-out" APNs - in my opinion - is to root the device. Rooting opens up a ton of ways to circumvent this lockout.

Public Mobile does not push APNs. A device which will only allow connections to pushed APNs will not allow any connection to PM. Rooting forces the device to not lock any options away from the user. Simple as that.

Trying the other workarounds is okay - good luck! - but if they don't work then you'll be right back to the same decision as before: choose a different carrier, choose a different phone, choose to root the phone, or choose to get no mobile data.

I've seen a lot of people who don't like these choices and end up wasting a lot of time accomplishing nothing after chasing every hint of every workaround they can find - I've done it myself, lol, lot of time wasted - but there comes a point where nothing else works, these are your choices so just pick one and move forward.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@hawkgt  Happy to hear you have sorted your issue out. Have a great evening!

Need Help? Let's chat.