cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doogee S90C Grayed out APN

hawkgt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm sure that this topic has been brought up before,but I can't really find a solution.

I have a Global Version unlocked Doogee S90C.When I install the PM Sim Card it will default to Telus with no option to change the APN as it is grayed out.If I disable Auto detect it will search and find PM 3G and PM 4G(telus?),but once I enable it ,it resorts back to Telus where again I can't modify the APN.I have tried some of the solutions online with no success.Also tried rooting and I get an alert that rooting in no available for this phone.The card is good because I put it into my ulefone armor 5s and it would detect PM3 and I was able to enable data.I'm thinking it is something in the phones software that is locking hings up.Also there is no support from Doogee.live and learn.Why do I have two Asian phones.That's another topic.So,does anyone have a solution.

Thanks to all that may reply

30 REPLIES 30

Korth
Mayor / Maire

The risk of bricking is real.

I think it's exaggerated. A lot of scary hype attached to it because risk of bricking is minimal but consequences of bricking are catastrophic.

If you follow all instructions carefully then it is almost nonexistent. The rooting/hack tools always specify what has been tested, what is untested, what is known, what is still unknown, what is not recommended, what to expect, and how to recover from unexpected faults.

Most bricks can be recovered through softwares. There's always the option of doing a nuke and pave "rewrite" of clean stock firmware. If you read the xda forums you'll see that these experimenters routinely brick and unbrick devices - they are confronted by a permanently dead, irrecoverable, unsalvageable device very rarely.

Google installed itself as the "trusted" authority in device firmware. (Just like Apple and Samsung do with their devices.)

They allow rooting and modding - because they technically can't really stop it anyhow, because they legally can't stop it in some places, and because they would receive endlessly costly bad press for bulletproofing anti-consumer "black box" functions into their products.

But once you deviate from Google's path you have "broken the trust" and struck out on your own. Many google apps/services actually will still run fine on a rooted phone, after a little tinkering anyhow, but the critical google trust authority stuff will be denied. They've lost control over the device, they can't guarantee that it's legit anymore, so they slammed the door against spoofing attacks and fake trust certifications and other digital frauds.

It turns out that there's other internet root trust authorities - built into the topmost w3 and dns layers - which are even more trustworthy and reputable than google (they are in fact the ones preferred by banks, etc). But these authorities are interested in running the internet, not in selling phone apps or babysitting online transactions or milking profits, so they don't run playstores and shopping carts and discrete bottom-scraping user telemetry. AOSP builds like GrapheneOS and LineageOS overwrite google's trust dependencies with these other authorities. People running these builds can't use google play store and google pay.

hawkgt

With that old phone it wouldn't be an issue.My young dog got a hold of the sim tray when I dropped it and I can't find a replacement,so the phone is basically bricked now.I don't think I can hurt it much more

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hawkgt wrote:

Basically how I feel about it,but I may play with that old Kyocera and give it a try.Who knows,I might actually learn something

The technical side of me is intrigued with the idea of being free of the bonds of a manufacturer. But the brick it risk side keeps winning.

hawkgt

Basically how I feel about it,but I may play with that old Kyocera and give it a try.Who knows,I might actually learn something

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hawkgt : That was a thing I wasn't sure I wanted to be removed from. That it would be much more hands-on and manual. Or that some other security things don't work. ie. iirc (and Korth would know more) you can't use Google Pay on a rooted device. Well I like Google Pay.

So I'm still hesitant to root and ROM.

hawkgt

Ok,I'll keep this in mind.I will read the links that you have provided and decide if it is beneficial in my case as I basically use the phone to text,call family and friends and the occasional search.I guess by rooting I can upgrade the android version and that should allow me to get a longer life span out of the phone.i would think that i would need some sort of anti virus apps?Correct?

@hawkgt 

If you choose to root this device then I think Magisk is your best and easiest option.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk

You can (re)install the stock ROM which came with your device.

https://www.getdroidtips.com/stock-rom-doogee-s90-firmware/

You can install the "cloned" ROM which is root-modded for your device.

https://unofficialtwrp.com/unofficial-twrp-3-3-1-root-doogee-s90/

You can install the LineageOS ROM which "unofficially" updates your device to rooted AOSP10.

https://www.getdroidtips.com/lineage-os-17-1-doogee-s90c-android-10/

All of these will permanently flag the bootloader firmware "out of warranty". And break the "Google Lock" - google updates, some google services, google play store, and google pay will no longer work - so they set the device on a one-way path to obtaining software apps/updates through APK sideloads (ie: you download them onto a PC and install onto the device from there).

You may or may not have already done all this with your failed root attempts. Hard to say without knowing how far the failed installs progressed.

LineageOS replaces the google-based components with other root trust authorities which are unaligned with google - most of the google apps and services are replaced with equivalent options. The "stock" ROM simply deactivates these things, the "clone" ROM simply removes them.

It seems like a lot of "tech savvy" information but if you spend a little time reading and following links/instructions then it's really quite easy.

The next best option is to basically choose a different phone on Public Mobile or to take your phone to another operator (which does push APNs). Or to wait indefinitely (without mobile data) for PM to get around to fixing this problem they've already left unfixed for years.

hawkgt

So you might be familiar with some other forums where the thread OP in effect closes the thread using some function. The Accept as solution has other purposes in this forum. Closing the thread is not it. As evidenced by posts still coming in.

I'd like to suggest you click the three dots in the upper right of your post that I quoted and deselect it as the solution. Then go back to the first reply from gpixel4 and give that post the solution.

Giving oneself the solution is kinda frowned up on around here fyi.

That was not my intent to take credit for a solution that I did not create.

I thought that clicking on accept as a solution would include the entire thread,not one post.

Thanks for setting me straight

Tags (0)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hawkgt wrote:

Bought a Freedom card last night and was sent out today.Should be here tomorrow or the next day..Got a suggestion from a Mod today about another hack using the Freedom Card.Will let you know how it works out

So you might be familiar with some other forums where the thread OP in effect closes the thread using some function. The Accept as solution has other purposes in this forum. Closing the thread is not it. As evidenced by posts still coming in.

I'd like to suggest you click the three dots in the upper right of your post that I quoted and deselect it as the solution. Then go back to the first reply from gpixel4 and give that post the solution.

Giving oneself the solution is kinda frowned up on around here fyi.

hawkgt

Guess what,not all of us are tech savvy or want to attempt to brick a new phone.But ,I did try to root the phone twice with two different programs and they both failed to root it.So, I quit while I was ahead and looked for an alternative.With help from the mods and those who replied to this post it worked.Maybe a temporary patch who knows.I also contacted Doogee support and after a few emails they finally replied.They are supposedly rewriting some of the software to attempt to repair this problem

@hawkgt  Happy to hear you have sorted your issue out. Have a great evening!

Long story short, there are always workaround fixes to this problem but they seem to always get patched up (and stop working) after a while.

The only sure way to get around these UI-locked "greyed-out" APNs - in my opinion - is to root the device. Rooting opens up a ton of ways to circumvent this lockout.

Public Mobile does not push APNs. A device which will only allow connections to pushed APNs will not allow any connection to PM. Rooting forces the device to not lock any options away from the user. Simple as that.

Trying the other workarounds is okay - good luck! - but if they don't work then you'll be right back to the same decision as before: choose a different carrier, choose a different phone, choose to root the phone, or choose to get no mobile data.

I've seen a lot of people who don't like these choices and end up wasting a lot of time accomplishing nothing after chasing every hint of every workaround they can find - I've done it myself, lol, lot of time wasted - but there comes a point where nothing else works, these are your choices so just pick one and move forward.

hawkgt

Alrighty,I got the freedom card today and had some time to muck with it tonight.When I installed the card the phone immediately connected to the Freedom network in my area.I disabled auto search and let the phone do a manual search.It brought up all the providers in my area including PM 3G.Before I selected PM though I went to the APN settings and lo and behold there was that elusive + sign.I manually input all PM settings and clicked on save.Then I installed the PM Sim card and I went back to networks,clicked on PM 3G.I then turned off wifi and did a Google search.Gues what,I'm using data ,it worked!!!.Now the only thing I don't know is if I do a reset if the settings will be saved.But,that's Ok is a simple solution to reinstall the settings

Just want to say thanks to everyone who replied and helped in one way or another.

Thumbs up to all of you

Regards Bill

hawkgt

Bought a Freedom card last night and was sent out today.Should be here tomorrow or the next day..Got a suggestion from a Mod today about another hack using the Freedom Card.Will let you know how it works out

hawkgt

Ok,I'll try the Freedom Card and see what happens.Nice to see the free shipping as it's a bit of a hike for me as I live just below North Bay.And I'll post if it works or not.

hawkgt

I have an old kyocera that I might play with if I get up the nerve.If I brick it oh well lesson learned that I won't try that again

@hawkgt 

Freedom SIM card is $6.99 at Canadian Cell Supplies right now if you are interested.

716B1F99-BCCA-4BF5-90BC-3E0D99B95346.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hawkgt : I'm rather intimidated by all the rooting and ROM's and whatnot too. Especially on a new phone. I dabbled on an old LG a couple years ago but it was very nerve-wracking. I might try it again with my previous Samsung S7. Open up and completely re-arrange hardware in a PC, no problem. Fiddle with partitions and VM's, sure. But phone software???

I'm not sure one can just walk in to a Freedom store and ask for a junk SIM. I hardly think they would let you insert a new one just for this either. So then it becomes a bit of a sunk cost to buy one.

hawkgt

I have read a few posts on here about not being able to input APNs on phone.It seems that the only successes I have seen is using the freedom SIM hack and one other that realistically is beyond my capabilities.I grew up with a Black Rotary Dial Phone in the kitchen ,so that may give you an idea

hawkgt

I used the Bell SIM because I had one handy.Figured if nothing else it was worth a try.

hawkgt

I have to put some thought into installing a custom ROM,but I'm not particularly tech savvy.I have read a couple of articles on it and tend to get lost about half way through.As far as back up I do have another Android 9 phone that has all my information on it.I just happen to like this one better due to the clearer and larger screen,plus a clearer speaker

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hawkgt wrote:

The Bell SIM I had installed made no difference to being able to edit the APN.All the settings where still grayed out out,so there was no option to add an additional APN.Actually the little plus sign to allow you to add an APN isn't there either.I'm heading down to Barrie on Thursday and going to make a stop at Mobile Klinik and see what they have to say.I will probably attempt the freedom hack if all else fails

This whole greyed out APN thing has been an issue since Android 8.1 (iirc). Somebody once wrote an unofficial app for 8.1. I don't know if it worked for newer versions.

I don't know how and why some phones are fine and others not.

Do the manufacturers pay for it from all possible providers? Do the providers pay to have their information pre-installed?

But I do know that Public Mobile is not the only provider that has this problem with some devices.

Edit: @computergeek541 : it was the italicized post from 11/14 that twigged me to wonder by the way he worded it.

@hawkgt wrote:

The Bell SIM I had installed made no difference to being able to edit the APN.All the settings where still grayed out out,so there was no option to add an additional APN.Actually the little plus sign to allow you to add an APN isn't there either.I'm heading down to Barrie on Thursday and going to make a stop at Mobile Klinik and see what they have to say.I will probably attempt the freedom hack if all else fails

Bell Mobility SIM cards have not been known to make a difference for this. Members have confirmed for other that Roam Mobility and Wind/Freedom Mobile SIM cards can be used for this purpose.

@hawkgt if you would like, you can try installing a custom ROM. make sure to back up your files

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gearallnews.com/how-to-install-lineage-os-17-gsi-for-doogee-s90c-androi...

hawkgt

Anonymous
Not applicable

It has been reported before that the mods have some kind of magic file that they can text you and you install it and there's the APN.

But it's really more about the phone manufacturer than the provider. Either that or the provider doesn't send their information to _every_ phone manufacturer.

That Bell SIM you mentioned may have allowed you to edit or add. And then re-inserting the PM SIM could work.

The other known SIM is Freedom.

hawkgt

So,after numerous attempts I finally got a reply from Doogee Support..They are suggesting that the reason for the grayed out settings is at PM's end as they do not want us to be able to alter the APN.Now I have been in touch with Moderator Team and they have made a number of suggestions on how to possibly resolve this issue.Any how none of them have worked.They are of the opinion that the settings are locked at Doogee's end I happen to like this phone.It has a clear screen,and clear voice.I'm a little hard of hearing so this is a big help.It is also Armoured which is plus out in the garage.But,data dosen't work which is a bit of a handicap.I don't use a lot of data,but I do use it and would like it to work

The drama continues

hawkgt

Thanks for that.Will keep my fingers crossed.

Any chance a card from Chatr,Lucky etc would work.

I did try my old Bell card and it was the same issue except that the APN seemed correct to enable data

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@hawkgt you will need to try the freedom mobile sim hack or message customer support mods to send you the APN configuration file(YMMV)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

check your community inbox on the top right corner. this is where you will receive a response from support

Need Help? Let's chat.