cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this phone work w/Public Mobile

deveshj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

Looking to see if this phone works with Public Mobile; https://www.staples.ca/products/2959404-en-maxwest-uno-m6-3g-18-unlocked-phone-black

Thanks in advance for the help!

30 REPLIES 30

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Korth wrote:

For me the main point against XiaoMi devices is the MIUI operating system. Basically a "stock" Android operating system with the Mi software system overlayed onto (and embedded within) it. It's got a lot of cool little features (Iike tapping the screen with knuckles to screenshot) and some problems (collateral fallout on your phone from endless Google vs China battles) and some drawbacks (semi-proprietary, some incompatibilities, a few nasty forced updates).

It's a heavily gesture-based interface. Very clever, versatile, and intuitive. But a little weird and not immediately intuitive for most Westerners (it generally receives somewhat extreme love-it-or-hate-it opinions outside China).

If you're into firmware/bootloader hacking sorts of tech then you won't be able to do anything at all with these devices (not just the sourcecode but also the dev tools, part datasheets, corporate sites, or other literature) unless you can actually read Chinese.

I know what you mean about MIUI.

Some Xiaomis are Android One, which is as stock as you can get and a joy.  I have a Mi A2 Lite that runs it.  Camera is good, but nothing special.  But for $200, it's a pretty nice phone. 4GB + 64GB + fullHD + dual SIMS and SD slot, big battery.

And it has a notification LED, which is something I just can't live without.

A3 Lite is out soon.  Fingers crossed that it has top notch-ish camera.

@DOA , I bought the Asus Zenfone 3 and I haven't had any issue with this. I got my dad, the Asus Zenfone 4, and then I got my mom the Asus Zenfone 5. Now, the Asus Zenfone 6 is out. 

These phones have incredible cameras on them. I went from an iPhone to Asus Zenfone, and although I still love iPhones, I didn't want to fork an arm and a leg for the extra space. I gt 128 gigs with 64 gigs of RAM plus it's a dual SIM card for less than $300 bucks. I think at the time, I was looking at an iPhone that was $1000+ for a 128gig. 

Now, if I was rich and money was no object....

Korth
Mayor / Maire

For me the main point against XiaoMi devices is the MIUI operating system. Basically a "stock" Android operating system with the Mi software system overlayed onto (and embedded within) it. It's got a lot of cool little features (Iike tapping the screen with knuckles to screenshot) and some problems (collateral fallout on your phone from endless Google vs China battles) and some drawbacks (semi-proprietary, some incompatibilities, a few nasty forced updates).

It's a heavily gesture-based interface. Very clever, versatile, and intuitive. But a little weird and not immediately intuitive for most Westerners (it generally receives somewhat extreme love-it-or-hate-it opinions outside China).

If you're into firmware/bootloader hacking sorts of tech then you won't be able to do anything at all with these devices (not just the sourcecode but also the dev tools, part datasheets, corporate sites, or other literature) unless you can actually read Chinese.

DOA

@darlicious wrote:

I have the dual sim samsung A3 that I'm quite happy with until I decide on my next one. I should be good for a couple of more years.....looking for a phone with a really good camera reasonably priced.

Apparently the Xiaomi Mi 10 has awesome cameras, and while the price is not cheap, it's not unreasonable either.

I just might go nuts an buy it.

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder   The rca phone I picked up for $40 on sale at London drugs.........

Snipped out all the RCA chatter, but for $40, it DOES sound like it's ok for those "just in case" kinda situations.

The A5 pro he is very happy with as well but it does have a couple of issues. They have fixed the initial camera software that was really bad however it does not have good low light capabilities. So if the quality of lowlight/night time shots is not that important then you'll be happy with all the daylight photos.

Yeah, I was kind of aware that the camera on that phone was "subpar", but then, for the price, SOMETHING had to be sacrificed, and I don't really care much about using a phone for taking pics anyway.

The only other issue is the battery charging portal. I'm not sure what he managed to do to it but it doesn't have a firm hold of the charging cable it once did so if it's not set in there and left untouched etc....theres problems charging it

You might suggest that he gets a good flashlight, and a magnifying glass, and have a look at the actual charge port, because I watched a recent Youtube video, done by a tech guy that I watch regularly, and apparently one of THE biggest issues, is simply bits of dirt, lint, etc. getting into that open port, and making it physically impossible to push the plug in far enough to make a proper connection. Guess that stuff basically gets compacted into the port, right at the bottom, and a very thin toothpick is commonly used to drag/scrape that gunk out, but you have to be careful not to break any of the connector pins. From the sounds of things, though, that phone might be safer if you attempted the cleaning(if it needs it), cuz the bf will probably break off at least half of the connectors! 😉 

but that just his handling of the phone....he is very hard on phones. Already cracked his screen by dropping it. I just have to make an insurance claim for it now.

The irony being the only phone he hasn't broken out of 4 in 2 years is the rca model!

LOL - OF COURSE, the cheapest phone doesn't get the Samsonite gorilla handling!

I have the dual sim samsung A3 that I'm quite happy with until I decide on my next one. I should be good for a couple of more years.....looking for a phone with a really good camera reasonably priced.

As for A3 phones, in a previous post, you mentioned Umidigi A3 & A5 Pro, so as I asked before, have you had any hands-on experience with the Umidigi A3?

@CannonFodder   The rca phone I picked up for $40 on sale at London drugs more for a back up to have around but gave it to the bf as his "new" phone after smashing (long story) his samsung S7. What he didn't know was at the same time I had ordered the umidigi A5 pro for under the tree.

He made do with the rca and was surprisingly happy with it. With a 32gb micro sd card in he other SIM card slot he had all his apps from his old phone and no memory issues. He was happy enough with the sound for his tunes the camera was crappy but worked if you needed to take video or snap pics just a little grainy. If i had paid $100 i wouldnt be happy with it but for $40 quite happy. And surprisingly hardy with a case and screen protector. It was dropped a couple of times and suffered a crack in the screen protector.

The A5 pro he is very happy with as well but it does have a couple of issues. They have fixed the initial camera software that was really bad however it does not have good low light capabilities. So if the quality of lowlight/night time shots is not that important then you'll be happy with all the daylight photos. The only other issue is the battery charging portal. I'm not sure what he managed to do to it but it doesn't have a firm hold of the charging cable it once did so if it's not set in there and left untouched etc....theres problems charging it but that just his handling of the phone....he is very hard on phones. Already cracked his screen by dropping it. I just have to make an insurance claim for it now.

The irony being the only phone he hasn't broken out of 4 in 2 years is the rca model!

@deveshj wrote:

@Korth So with this RCA model, both slots are able to work simultaneously to receive messages?

I won't be using the phone for data, so the data part isn't an issue for me

Yes.

The built-in software on my RCA phone couldn't. But Signal could. Other apps. Probably could, too, but I didn't test any.

I had PM card in SIM1 (my personal, private number), Bell card then Verizon card then Fido card in SIM2 (as provided by employers over three contracts). I set up "custom" ringtones and notification sounds (and chat text colours) on my personal contacts so I could tell what was incoming through which number without clicking through Settings/Details/Info each time. A few callers would sometimes get answered by my voicemail when my number was active, but I think that's because I move around enough to sometimes be outside coverage area for one network or the other. I used generic Signal for a while, I eventually compiled mu own version of Signal from modified source.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.thoughtcrime.securesms&referrer=utm_source%3DOWS%2...

https://github.com/signalapp

deveshj

Just ordered the A3X, going to give it a try - sounds like it'll work. Thanks for your input @geopublic !

deveshj

@Korth So with this RCA model, both slots are able to work simultaneously to receive messages?

I won't be using the phone for data, so the data part isn't an issue for me

@deveshj 

UMIDIGI A3X supports 33 global bands. Regardless of your place of residence or your destination for a journey, you can connect to the local mobile networks with your UMIDIGI A3X anywhere in the world. It also supports 4G in both slots simultaneously - enjoy faster data transmission, lower power consumption and more reliable connection from now.

@deveshj

Most dual-SIM phones can only have one SIM active at a time, you toggle which SIM is active with a software setting, the inactive SIM doesn't even touch the network (the number still has active service, missed calls and voicemails and undelivered SMS/MMS msgs are retrieved the next time you make it the active connection on your phone).

Most dual-SIM phones can have primary SIM slot and either the secondary SIM slot or the (SD) storage card slot. This is a common implementation because it's the base design spec for most embedded SoC chips, populating more slots than the SoC natively supports adds to logic complexity, part cost, and electrical layers on the mainboard - which in turn adds to cost.

If you want both SIMs numbers to active simultaneously then you'll need a phone with "dual-active SIM" (different manufacturers and brands call it different things). It must have also two device IMEIs, at least two hardware radio antennae, and software which supports the functionality.

The above-mentioned cheap and half-junky RCA RLTP device can (surprisingly) have two SIMs and two numbers active simultaneously. Though not with the provided Android dialer software - I used Signal. I was unable to have more than one data connection active at any time - SIM1 3G, SIM2 3G, WiFi, or BT - and I don't know if this limitation was from hardware, firmware, software, operating system, or app. The phone could barely sustain more than 18mbps while running a browser window or other stuff anyhow, so merging network bandwidths wouldn't really accomplish anything.

2G was already obsolete ten years ago. Rogers still supports 2G legacy hardware in a few (very few) localized areas, but even these are being phased out and should be gone by 2022 at the latest.

@deveshj  Public does not use 2G so that sim slot on that phone will not work unless you use a Rogers sim because they are there only network that currently still supports 2g.

The Amazon link that you provided is a good choice with what you want to do.

deveshj

Hey everyone, thank you for the help. I went ahead and got the maxwest and it works fine. The only issue I'm having is getting the 2nd slot to work as it only registers to 2g, Looked up the meaning of dual sim standby and it seems like that is potentially why the second slot is not working when the first is in use.

Just to summarize what I'm looking to do exactly - I am looking for a device that will allow me to use two sims at a time (for cost savings reasons vs getting two phones) and receive messages at the same time. Is there anything I can do to have this happen on the maxwest or should I look into other phones? (was looking at this one potentially https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B083DN12N2/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ASHQIE45CGQEF)  For me, I do not care how the phone looks or the features it has, I really just need it to receive texts. Suggestions would be amazing, feel free to tag me too so I can see your answer even faster! 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check newegg.ca have some unlocked dual sim phones.

I used a $79 RCA RLTP6066 (or whatever it's called) for a while when I needed something quick and cheap to work with between "real" phones.

It's actually pretty good at all the basic stuff, surprisingly large impressive screen, adequate overall specs. Does websites and HD netflix/youtube streams smoothly enough but don't waste your time on it if you wanna game or open social media sites full of video frames. Built-in apps all junk but easily replaced. Storage capacity is realistically only about 4GB because if you use any more the system will slowdown and nag. Notifications are full of nag, too, if you don't operate things with Google's preferences then you must endure endless software complaints. Camera absolutely utter crap, can't photo anything within arms reach and can't photo anything farther than a few meters. WiFi absolutely phenomenal - faster and better than I've ever seen on any other smartphone at any price - could leech hotspots over a block away. Audio (with speaker or with earbuds) could be described as something between comic and tragic, impossible to hear phone calls if there's even the slightest rustle or pindrop nearby. Most frustrating to have to frequently "fight" against bad software (buttons are predictably unresponsive and randomly sluggish) when you want to power on, power off, or hang up a finished phone call. The device always seemed too big, too clumsy, and too slippery in my hands - it's awkward to use with one hand and the button placements/etc on this phone seems most unusually awkward (if not downright hostile) to us sinister lefties -  on a phone which will obviously be a flimsy glass victim if it ever gets dropped hard. Dual-SIM slots and an SDHC slot. Big fat whopping huge monster battery with all the power of batteries only a quarter the size.

I think it's good value for $99 (or less). But other good choices are available at same price. It works fine, mostly, but if you've ever used decent mid-end or high-end phones then you'll find this one just feels like garbage.

@darlicious wrote:

I would recommend getting either the umidigi A3 or A5pro on a lightening deal from Amazon.ca. They are both due for another sale priced around $99 and $130 cdn incl. tax and come with screen protectors and cases. They have the look and performance of a $500  phone. If you really want to cheap out get the rca phone from canadian tire for $40 and a micro sd card for memory so you can add some more apps. It'll get the job done for a minimum investment.

Ok, so I have to ask, both out of curiosity, and as a potential buyer...... do you have hands-on experience with all three of those phones? I know you've messed around with the A5 Pro, but I don't recall you mentioning either the A3 or the RCA before. I'm not particularly interested in the RCA, but either of those Umidigi phones MIGHT be of interest..... I like the A5 Pro's battery capacity, but I'd actually rather have a smaller screen & smaller overall phone size(I know, weird, right?), BUT of the few reviews I've either read, or watched on Youtube, it seems like the reviewers aren't too impressed with the A3.

@deveshj  I would stay far away from the Maxwest phones. They are more trouble than they are worth ....if they work. I would recommend getting either the umidigi A3 or A5pro on a lightening deal from Amazon.ca. They are both due for another sale priced around $99 and $130 cdn incl. tax and come with screen protectors and cases. They have the look and performance of a $500  phone. If you really want to cheap out get the rca phone from canadian tire for $40 and a micro sd card for memory so you can add some more apps. It'll get the job done for a minimum investment.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@Korth wrote:

London Drugs sells unlocked Maxwest Vice 3G Flip Phone ($59.99) which

Don't know if that particular phone is involved or not, but there were a couple of threads around here before, talking about that brand of phone, at LD..... here's one of 'em:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Don-t-buy-maxwest-phones-such-as-nitr... 

Hmm. I see many user reviews for all three of these Maxwell devices which cover the whole range but tend towards ... unsatisfied or hostile. Enough to make me wary of the brand.

But one piece of good news:

The Nitro 4X is now an old device (from circa 2017) built around an even older OS (from circa 2015). It turns out that Android 5.x has been thoroughly hacked apart - many free rootwares exist, many free unlock tools exist, three openandroids and two linuxes and a variety of popular firmware mods exist. So I think it should still be a fine device because if it won't work out of the box then it can be made to work anyhow (with free downloads).

@Korth wrote:

London Drugs sells unlocked Maxwest Vice 3G Flip Phone ($59.99) which

Don't know if that particular phone is involved or not, but there were a couple of threads around here before, talking about that brand of phone, at LD..... here's one of 'em:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Don-t-buy-maxwest-phones-such-as-nitr... 

@geopublic wrote:

@deveshj

If you are looking for a dual SIM phone then check Amazon for a Umidigi A50 pro.

Uhm.... I believe you meant "Umidigi A5 Pro?

You just don't get a lot of phone for $50. Maybe better off with whatever your local craigslist coughs up.

At $100 phones are more competitive so you at least get some kind of strong selling hardware feature (along with a general tech upgrade across all the essentials so the emphasized hardware feature can actually work properly).

@scorpio17 wrote:

Not the best choice. It does not work in 4G.

It should work only where 3G coverage exists. 3G coverage is usually wider then 4G but not everywhere.

I would be more concerned with having no 3g coverage, rather than not having an LTE compatible phone. Without the HSPA network, phone calls cannot be made or recieved by Public Moible customers.

DOA

@deveshj wrote:

Any suggestions for the cheapest dual sim phone that works with public mobile? Do not care how it looks, just need something to receive texts.

Go to amazon.ca and look at the Umidigi A3S.

$129 Dual sims, Android 10.  Works on PM.

Yes.

It will support a SIM card and is carrier-unlocked.

It will work for Talk. It will even support HD Voice.

It will work for Text. Although T9 input is a real pain.

It will work for Data. But 850/1900 radio only supports 2 slow bands, and phone memory/storage basically can't handle anything more than maybe a bunch of ringtones and system updates.

London Drugs sells unlocked Maxwest Vice 3G Flip Phone ($59.99) which has more memory/storage, Bluetooth and WiFi, and substantially better radio hardware (stronger signal, faster data). Well worth the extra $10 in my opinion.

If you don't mind the form factor then London Drugs also sells unlocked Maxwest Nitro 4X Smartphone ($49.99). Basic smartphone with 4" touchscreen, gutsy little processor, some memory and storage (and slot for a flash card), cameras, Bluetooth, WiFi, supports nearly all Public Mobile (Telus) radio frequencies and bands. A dismal performer by $$$ smartphone standards but far more capacities than the flip phones. Android provides access to tons of softwares. Comes with cheapo carry case and screen protector in box.

*** Note that Bellus is apparently beginning to shift (in some areas) towards LTE-based network hardware which lacks 3G-only capacities. So these two flip phones might actually be unable to connect to service in some areas (in coming years, if not already).

@deveshj 

If you just want to talk and text, this phone would work. It is missing the 4G bands (for data)

It has the 3G bands necessary for PM:

3G Bands Supported

WCDMA 850/1700/1900

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@deveshj wrote:

Hi everyone,

Looking to see if this phone works with Public Mobile; https://www.staples.ca/products/2959404-en-maxwest-uno-m6-3g-18-unlocked-phone-black

@deveshj Yes, that phone will work without any issues for calling and texts.

If you are looking for a dual SIM phone then check Amazon for a Umidigi A5 pro.

GreaseMonkey
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Try walmart. Even a prepaid telus or koodo will do the trick.

They are compatible on the same network.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lg-k20-prepaid-telus/6000200520984

deveshj

Any suggestions for the cheapest dual sim phone that works with public mobile? Do not care how it looks, just need something to receive texts.

scorpio17

Not the best choice. It does not work in 4G.

It should work only where 3G coverage exists. 3G coverage is usually wider then 4G but not everywhere.

@deveshj wrote:

Hi everyone,

GreaseMonkey

try this site if it is compatible PM.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/

Need Help? Let's chat.