cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a Alcatel model A392A work on PM??

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

I see on the list that Alcatel model A392G should work but not on list is Alcatel model A392A. 

I know...it's a FLIP phone!!!

14 REPLIES 14

@wetcoaster wrote:

The information I found said that the A version has dual band 3G (850/1900), the G version has quad band 3G. But that is third party information - check the user manual for the frequencies.

Put your SIM card into their phone to test?

Oh, and APN is for data and MMS.

I am working with the fellow by email. So YES will try the SIM in an iPhone 7. And I am much better with iPhones. 

@Triguy wrote:

APN settings are needed for texting and data.

Thank you. So will take one step at a time and get the calling piece working and won't worry about APN settings just yet. 

@Triguy wrote:

APN settings aren't related to text messaging. MMS isn't a text message, despite some members incorrectly referring to them with names such as "picture texts".

The information I found said that the A version has dual band 3G (850/1900), the G version has quad band 3G. But that is third party information - check the user manual for the frequencies.

Put your SIM card into their phone to test?

Oh, and APN is for data and MMS.

@Triguy wrote:

@Triguy Are they needed for regular texts as well as MMS?

@LurganIeUk I believe APN settings are a gateway between the provider and the internet. IE: your phone uses these to connect to mobile data. Plus it is used for MMS as data must be enable to use MMS'.

@kb_mv wrote:

@computergeek541 @LurganIeUk I would normally agree but anytime I have seen different models the specs differentiate between the models. This one only lists one set of frequencies with no mention of specific models.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 6.43.08 PM.png

I hear you!!! But since there is an A and a G and likely the G model came out after the A and PM only lists the G the A could be an issue???

Also I see APN is difficult to set. I should know this.....and you can yell at me if you like!!! Is APN setting for DATA and/or setting up the network for inbound and outbound calls and texts??

@LurganIeUk It does mention data speed  HSPA

Yes wonderful information. I worked for a  major retailer for many many many years. And we had 5 digit stock numbers and the 6th number would be irrelevant to stocking or ordering....but it did mean another version with minor changes. 

I am working with an elder person on this and even though I am in the same age group...I would not get caught dead with a flip phone and be categorized as an old fart. 

So since it also says no flash for camera and no wifi...would that mean it would not work with DATA either??

@computergeek541 @LurganIeUk I would normally agree but anytime I have seen different models the specs differentiate between the models. This one only lists one set of frequencies with no mention of specific models.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 6.43.08 PM.png

If you put "A392A" in the search bar on the forums and bunch of old threads come up.

For example the below that confirms that model works on PM. The person on that thread was having an issue adjusting the APN settings for MMS text.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Alcatel-Onetouch-A392A-Can-t-Send-or-...

@kb_mv wrote:

@LurganIeUk According to Phonearena.com it is the same phone...

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 6.33.36 PM.png

I would be careful with that if purchasing a phone. Two models numbers being listed means that there are two versions. Usually, both are going to have different network compatibilities.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk According to Phonearena.com it is the same phone...

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 6.33.36 PM.png

Need Help? Let's chat.