cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Does Public Mobile support 2G

>It could even dial police or 911 and (silently) play a recorded audio file.

I thought about mocking my thief, or slowing him down in pretend conversation, but that would risk spooking him. I want him to just carry on breaking into the rest of the cars on the street as the police make their way to him. I call 911 after been woken by the text.

I've also considered putting those exploding snakes in the glove compartment or a rat trap, but that just diverts from the mission. I don't want him to know it was my car that tripped him up.

One idea that has value I think is putting something identifiable of moderate value in the car that I can prove as mine and prove he was breaking into those cars when he gets caught with it. If he'll take crappy sunglasses he'll probably take a calculator.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

GPS locator tags can be cheap, small, easily concealed in other objects. (Although the tinest ones have lousy battery life and weak range.)

But a switch which triggers a text could also trigger other things. Like a webcam inside the vehicle. And another webcam outside the vehicle. And even the door locks or the garage lights or the building security alarm.

Highlighted

I'm ok with letting the cops try to catch him. I think there's a good chance he'll still be there when they arrive. I had considered going to with a rope and roping him till I found out how quick the cops' response likely would be.

Here's the power supply I've ordered:

https://www.amazon.ca/SHISHUO-Dash-Cam-Hardwire-Kit/dp/B07FD3TTVN/ref=sr_1_38?crid=FGWJ75I7TIVN&keyw...

It's got the neat feature of shutting down when the voltage gets low to save the car battery.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dixonpete wrote:
Here's one that definitely won't because of the 2G issue but is representative of the genre: 

@dixonpete correct, this is definitely NOT compatible with Telus, Bell, or any of their subbrands like Public Mobile.  This device uses GPRS, which is a 2G GSM-based data technology from many years ago.  You need to look for "UMTS", "W-CDMA" (yes, the "W-" is important), "HSDPA", "HSPA", or "HSPA+".  If you see any of those listed with 850MHz (band 5) and 1900MHz (band 2), then you are good to go.

If you see "LTE" listed, consider band 4 as required and any of 2,5,7,12,17 as bonus. 

EDIT:

@Korth wrote:

This is the best part I could find after some quick search.

$8 - SMS, GPS, IP, dialing, etc - 850MHz/1900MHz cellular - lots of GPIO trigger/input options.

https://www.amazon.com/GPRS-Spectrum-SM5100B-Modem-Module/dp/B00RDH2BHS

@dixonpete @Korth unfortunately, this part also appears to GPRS only.  

EDIT EDIT: unfortunately, I have zero hands-on experience with Pi and cannot give you the recommendation you are asking for.  I might suggest you start a new thread here with a title something like "Recommended Raspberry Pi module for Public Mobile?" as it may be more likely to catch the eye of anyone that does have the info you're looking for than a thread asking about 2G support, which might get glossed over.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dixonpete wrote:

A fellow named Kim Gill on Quora told me:

"Look for those that will work on T-Mobile USA. Also, TELUS has limited GSM coverage, you will want a UMTS module supporting Band IV (4), on the AWS-1 1700/2100MHz split band."

@dixonpete 

The info you got is not accurate. Telus does not use UMTS band 4, and they have never had any GSM.

See here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581/page...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/134356#M5822...

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren @dixonpete 

I should clarify that (from what google educated me) these devices seem to commonly be called "GSM/GPRS modems" as a category even though many of them now use 3G/4G technologies and do not use old GSM/GPRS technologies. I guess it's just a retro terminology holdover, much how we still "tape" and "film" and "rewind" digital content, "dial" calls, etc.

I could be wrong. I don't personally have any experience with these devices.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

yes I meant to say that sorry LOL.

PM is forever!!!

Highlighted

Afterall this I accidentally bought a 2G GSM device. It wasn't entirely my fault. The vendor had in his ad that it would work in all countries. 

When I realized my mistake I checked with Rogers and found that their coverage will last for  the end of the year. For $10 a month I get 50 texts. That's really all I need to catch my guy. I'll have to throw away the Rogers SIM card and the GSM module but realistically I probably wouldn't be using them in the futre anyway. The point of the exercise was to catch the guy and learn the technology.

So. Not what I wanted but QED. It'll do.

Need Help? Let's chat.