cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does Public Mobile support 2G

I'm considering a security device for my car that will need a SIM card to text me about break-ins. It only uses 2G. Will Public Mobile work? I know I'll be committing to a $15 a month Public Mobile plan to get the data I need.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Does Public Mobile support 2G

@Luddite wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@dixonpete  Unfortunately PM does not support 2G. Rogers is the only one currently supporting it.

And it will be phased out shortly. For use in Canada you need a different device.

@dixonpete this is an important detail:  Rogers has currently scheduled to shut down their 2G GSM network on Dec 31st of this year.  Whether or not that gets delayed at this point is anyone's guess, but it will definitely not be around for the long-haul.  I would not want to invest in a system that could only operated on a 2G network at this point in time, personally.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

@dixonpete wrote:

I'm considering a security device for my car that will need a SIM card to text me about break-ins. It only uses 2G. Will Public Mobile work? I know I'll be committing to a $15 a month Public Mobile plan to get the data I need.

Sorry, but it won't work. There is no 2g here.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@dixonpete  Unfortunately PM does not support 2G. Rogers is the only one currently supporting it.

Highlighted
Oracle

@geopublic wrote:

And it will be phased out shortly. For use in Canada you need a different device.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.
Highlighted

@Luddite wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@dixonpete this is an important detail:  Rogers has currently scheduled to shut down their 2G GSM network on Dec 31st of this year.  Whether or not that gets delayed at this point is anyone's guess, but it will definitely not be around for the long-haul.  I would not want to invest in a system that could only operated on a 2G network at this point in time, personally.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Committing to a PM service for your device will not a be long term practical solution since this service will be phased out in the coming months.

Highlighted

@rhbcc wrote:

Committing to a PM service for your device will not a be long term practical solution since this service will be phased out in the coming months.

@rhbcc I hope you meant to say "to a GSM service", not "to a PM service".  There are no plans to phase out Public Mobile.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

It's not only about Rogers2G sunsetting at end of 2020.

It's also extremely limited Rogers 2G coverage. So if this 2G automotive device drives anywhere else in Canada (or beyond) it won't maintain network connection.

From Wikipedia article (which cites Rogers press/source material)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Wireless#GSM

Since 2002, the company's 2G GSM network with EDGE has operated in Canada. It provides compatibility for GSM-based devices, including those frequently used by international travelers. However, this technology is limited to speeds up to 236 kilobits per second, which is only about four times the speed of dial-up.

As of July 2018, some of Rogers coverage footprint is covered by its GSM network, but not its HSPA or LTE networks. These areas include MacKenzie, BC and along the Highway 11 corridor east and west of Kapuskasing, ON. It is unclear what the future is for these areas given that Rogers has already announced that it intends on shutting down its GSM network and because Rogers did not expand HSPA or LTE into these areas despite completing expansion of HSPA or LTE to all other areas by its GSM network years earlier.

Rogers has informed its customers that its 2G GSM network will be discontinued on December 31, 2020.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dixonpete wrote:

I'm considering a security device for my car that will need a SIM card to text me about break-ins. It only uses 2G. 

It seems odd that any security device being sold today would specify 2G only.  Could it be that it's an older device? Or maybe it operates at 2G speeds or something like that.  Why don't you ask the supplier what networks it will run on?

Highlighted

@jimbobs wrote:

@dixonpete wrote:

I'm considering a security device for my car that will need a SIM card to text me about break-ins. It only uses 2G. 

It seems odd that any security device being sold today would specify 2G only.  Could it be that it's an older device? Or maybe it operates at 2G speeds or something like that.  Why don't you ask the supplier what networks it will run on?

@jimbobs this is a good point.  @dixonpete do you have a brand and model number handy for the device you are considering?  We could try to hunt down the specs and confirm one way or the other if it will work with Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.