cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Changing The CSC code affect updates for samsung phones?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So i just switched to PM and i want to change my CSC code on my Galaxy s10 to match PM's. I was previously with rogers. Before i change the CSC code to PMB i have a question does it affect My OTA updates? if so who do i receive my updates from? Telus?  The phone was purchased unlocked form BestBuy. 

Could a mod help me ?

25 REPLIES 25

@BearFBI wrote:

So i just switched to PM and i want to change my CSC code on my Galaxy s10 to match PM's. I was previously with rogers. Before i change the CSC code to PMB i have a question does it affect My OTA updates? if so who do i receive my updates from? Telus?  The phone was purchased unlocked form BestBuy. 

Could a mod help me ?

Usually when someone changes the CSC, it's usuallly because certain network frequencies have been software-disabled, there's a high amount of bloatware for a specfiic carrier, or because certain features such as hotspot have been disabled. In most case, I believe that most users do not need to worry about changing this setting. Also, this procedure will factory reset your device, as you're already aware. However, why go through this unless you have to. If you notice you're not getting updates, then you perform this experiment, but as of now, I don't see much benefit in performing this procedure.

BearFBI

Yes i know i can do that but my phone needs to be factory reset anyway so i might as well switch it to PM's settings. Its works better on their network and the Telus network. and PM doesn't have any bloatware.

@BearFBI , can you disable those annoying apps?  I use nova launcher on all my phones.  Even user apps installed into the system partition that cannot be disabled are hidden from view.  There is no impact on space as the original version sits in the system partition which cannot be shrunk anyway.  

@BearFBI wrote:

who has controll over allowing OTA updates if you are with PM?

@BearFBI  My understanding is PM does not control OTA updates. If you are concerned about regular updates (security) and don't like bloatware maybe consider your next phone being from Google or an Android One provider. Frequent updates and no bloatware crap.

PeterS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Samsung is one of the better manufacturers for phones. A person in my family has a Samsung A50 bought late last year that still receives updates for security when with Public Mobile and later this year, a Android System Upgrade. The manufacturer should be in charge of updates when you are with public mobile. Other smallar manufacturers may be issues, like motorola because they will only give you updates when you are with Freedom Mobile. Overall, you should be fine with a Samsung on getting updates when will Public Mobile.

BearFBI

who has controll over allowing OTA updates if you are with PM?

BearFBI

@will13am  I think you are right but there is no "generic" way to go. you could switch to the XAC CSC code wich is the code that every Samsung phone is shipped with but it would automatically switch it to Public Mobiles. Right now my software is optimized for the Roger's network with their CSC code and Rogers settings. It works fine with PM. But those apps are annoying 

@BearFBI , from what little I know the CSC is supposed to point to where the updates come from.  The carrier does have "control" over OTA releases even if they choose to add nothing.  I had an essential phone sourced from Telus.  The OTA came from the OEM but Telus has a finger on the button in terms of allowing its release.  My guess is that may be the case with Samsung as well.  If you have the option, I would think going generic would be a good bet.  

BearFBI

@will13am  Yes just dial *#243203855# and you can switch to Public Mobiles CSC code (PMB) but i am wondering how software updates work. Does changing the CSC code make my updates come through PM? But PM doesn't do any of that stuff. So Telus? I am assuming this because CSC codes are codes that are use by carriers to customize software on their phones. When you first put in a sim on a Samsung device it automatically switches the CSC code to whatever carrier is on the sim. and it also installs all of the carrier apps just like you bought the phone from that carrier. Now does the software updates come through that carrier?. I dont know

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

More information on CSC codes.  This is one of the reasons why I turned off of carrier phones long ago.  My first and last Samsung product is the note 2.  

https://www.droidviews.com/how-to-change-csc-in-samsung-galaxy-phones/

My Samsung came with 3 Bell-specific apps (apparently now I learn due to the CSC code). I just assumed the phone came from Bell and left it at that without exploring further.

Then of course all the Samsung stuff.

I've just recently got Samsung Pay going with the Koho card (thanks for the referral kselmak) and like that Samsung has a non-NFC trick to use it as well as using NFC.

I disabled the Bell apps. I disabled some other apps that I won't use like social networking. Some apps seem sticky which goes to the clutter problem.

But now this csc thing intrigues me and maybe I should go through a whole clean up as ArmandoUrso says. Some day.:)

BearFBI

@Anonymous Sorry about that. I never realized that. I am new to these fourms

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BearFBI 

Depending on your browser and device, and since you seem to be a bit of an enthusiast here, it would be helpful to give some context with your replies. ie. who you're replying to or what. Unfortunately, this forum is not set up that when you click Reply next to a post that it would show who you replied to.

So either the username or the @ username or if you have it, the 3 dots in the little toolbar above the typing box and the 99 " symbol which will bring in the text of the post you replied to.

fyi:)

BearFBI

That talks about how it affects software updates for regions and different countries. PM and rogers are from the same country. 

BearFBI

Also my phone is due for a factory reset. Things run smoother and it cleans old app files that were left behind from deleted apps. So i might as well factory reset it with PM's CSC code.

More information on CSC codes.  This is one of the reasons why I turned off of carrier phones long ago.  My first and last Samsung product is the note 2.  

https://www.droidviews.com/how-to-change-csc-in-samsung-galaxy-phones/

BearFBI

Yes There's loads but none of them mentions my question if it affects updates.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BearFBI wrote:

Switching to the deafult code would just make it automatically switch it to PM's Code. And i cant find any information about CSC codes online.

Any??!! I typed in csc code and got miles of results. My S7 is on BMC. Bell. Now I'm tempted. But I don't really feel like going through the whole backup/reset/restore/setup routine.

BearFBI

Switching to the deafult code would just make it automatically switch it to PM's Code. And i cant find any information about CSC codes online.

BearFBI

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BearFBI , this article is pretty detailed on CSC changes.  From what I can tell, I would just leave things alone.  @gblackma , no need to respond to every thread particularly when you don't know the topic.  

https://www.getdroidtips.com/know-about-csc-home_csc/

BearFBI

CSC codes are a Samsung thing endless your line of phones does something like Samsung 

BearFBI

Im pretty sure you get your updates directly from google. Samsung has to get it from google then customize it then send it to carriers to "QA" the update then send it to us. It takes ages for Samsung phones to get updates. And if im not mistaken whatever CSC code you are on affects your updates. So if im on a Rogers CSC code i get my updates from rogers. But what about Public Mobile? 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Thanks @shep22  and @BearFBI I didn't know about this. But on my Umidigi F1 my settings are either from Telus or from Public Mobile. What I'm not sure about is if this is unique to my line of phones or to others too.

BearFBI

Ya but it still doesn't answer my question if it affects the updates. I am pretty sure if you change your CSC code to another carriers you receive updates from that carrier. So would i receive my updates from TELUS? or directly from Samsung? 

shep22

@BearFBI hi I copied this from the help section hope it helps   

Recently switched over to PM from VM with my wife who has an Samsung Galaxy S9. To get rid of the bloatware that was installed by VM I thought to change the CSC back to XAC (the default multi-csc sales code for Canada aka the sales code of devices purchased directly from Samsung and prior to their carrier customization). Lo and behold, with the public mobile sim card installed the phone selected the PMB csc and not the generic XAC. I´ve done some searching online and couldn´t find any references to the PMB csc so I just wanted to let everyone know that it does in fact exist for the S9!

I repeated the experiment on my S7 edge however it remained on the XAC csc as PMB is not (yet?) available for this device.

Here´s hoping that this means my wife will receive updates in a timeline manner without any of the bloatware of other carriers.       There are other interesting articles referencing the subject there also. 

Need Help? Let's chat.