cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Telus locked phones work with PM?

convolutionx
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think I read or heard somewhere that as long as you have a phone that's locked to the parent company, like if I have a roger locked phone, I can use Fido's network on it without having to unlock the phone. 

Will a Telus locked iphone work on PM?

22 REPLIES 22

j_xia1991
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks I don't need unlocking at the moment, the phone is working fine with Public Mobile Sim

j_xia1991

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@j_xia1991 wrote:

I should've mentioned something further to make this thread a bit more transparent. I have a corporate cellphone from 2016 locked to Telus. I just resigned from my job and get to keep my phone. However, the caveat here is I cannot unlock it from Telus as it's a corporate account with my company so I'm forced to take a Telus locked phone. So being able to directly use a Public Moible sim card is a big plus. 

Check here for blacklist. 

https://www.devicecheck.ca

Unlock here. Click happy face at bottom right for chat. 

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/contact-telus-technical-support

Have your imei ready. 

Say, if asked, you got it from a relative and you want to use it for foreign travel. I doubt if it is in your x companies name as I would imagine they removed it from their contract. It is 3 years old. 

What is the make and model of phone?

@j_xia1991 wrote:

I should've mentioned something further to make this thread a bit more transparent. I have a corporate cellphone from 2016 locked to Telus. I just resigned from my job and get to keep my phone. However, the caveat here is I cannot unlock it from Telus as it's a corporate account with my company so I'm forced to take a Telus locked phone. So being able to directly use a Public Moible sim card is a big plus. 

Long as your IT dept doesn't blacklist the phone...it's going to work just fine with Public Mobile. Welcome to PM.

j_xia1991

@darlicious wrote:

@j_xia1991 wrote:

I just registered my Telus Locked phone with a Public Mobile Sim Card. It's working perfectly without the need to unlock. 

@j_xia1991  I think it's important to note the post you are replying to is pre-Dec 2017 when mobile providers were required by the WCC  to offer unlocked phones and free unlocking codes to their customers.

The changed carrier-unlock rules affected how the locks could be removed, not how the locks worked. Carriers used to routinely charge $50 (or whatever they liked, really) and have more power to obstruct/delay unlocks. But the technical mechanism for the locks themselves never changed - a Telus-locked phone from 2016 works with Public Mobile SIM cards. 

@j_xia1991 wrote:

I just registered my Telus Locked phone with a Public Mobile Sim Card. It's working perfectly without the need to unlock. 

@j_xia1991  I think it's important to note the post you are replying to is pre-Dec 2017 when mobile providers were required by the WCC  to offer unlocked phones and free unlocking codes to their customers.

Nice one I like that excuse to avoid customer retention calls. @88cranston you are quickly becoming a very valuable asset to the community.

88cranston

@convolutionx wrote:

I think I read or heard somewhere that as long as you have a phone that's locked to the parent company, like if I have a roger locked phone, I can use Fido's network on it without having to unlock the phone. 

There is little effort to get a phone unlocked by Telus if it was locked on the Telus network. All from the comfort of your home. 

Chat here https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/contact-telus-technical-support

Tap the smiley face at bottom right. 

Have imei number ready 

Tell them you received the phone from a relative and you need it unlocked for foreign travel. 

This is also makes your phone more salable. 

@Triguy wrote:

PM is owned by Telus and uses the same towers as Telus and Bell.

Yes, Telus and Bell have a network/hardware sharing agreement, effectively one big (the biggest) nation-wide cellular network.

But they are different companies. 

Telus owns Koodo and Public, Telus-locked and Koodo-locked phones will (almost always) work with SIMs from Telus, Koodo, and Public.

Bell owns Virgin and Lucky, phones locked to any of them will not work with SIMs from Public.

PM is owned by Telus and uses the same towers as Telus and Bell.

j_xia1991

Halfdome
I had a issue as well with a koodo phone which was unlocked but when i inserted a public mobile sim it asked for a unlock code. A bit of a pain as I activated a plan for someone and they haven't been able to use the data with the plan because they only have a basic phone that will work with the sim card.

vanginmi

This is fantastic - I was holding off for a new phone to activate my PM sim card - all the while I can use it with my Telus iphone.  Thanks for the post.  I will be activating this evening.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

We should keep this answer stickied somewhere lol. 

jpar

I have a Telus-purchased and locked Android phone that's worked on both Koodo and Public Mobile without issue. It's all the same (220) network as far as the SIM registration is concerned, anyway.

@texwood wrote:

. As such you tend not to be able to locked Fido and Rogers handsets with the other's SIM.

Rogers locked iPhone won't work with Fido sim cards, and vice-versa, but for vast majority of current non-iPhone model phones sold by both Rogers and Fido will work with both brand of sim cards.

texwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@computergeek541 wrote:

As for the Rogers and Fido, Rogers locked iPhones do not work with Fido sim cards, and Fido locked iPhones do not work with Rogers sim cards.  Once again, there are rare exceptions.  In my case, I was once in possession of an iPhone device that was carrier locked to 2 different carriers, both Rogers and Fido (but did not work with Bell or Telus sim cards).  I only saw that once with Rogers and Fido iPhone devices.

For those who are not around long enough to know the history: that's because Fido used to operate a separate network and a competitor with Rogers; therefore the SIMs are coded separately (I was a Fido customer back then.) Although Fido merged with Rogers in 2004, FIdo SIM codes remains the same they were. As such you tend not to be able to locked Fido and Rogers handsets with the other's SIM.

99 percent all telus and koodo phones work with public mobile without even unlocking. But also all major phones locked to fido Rogers bell also work with public mobile once you get them unlock as well.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

jt17g
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, it will work also on koodo, pm. 

paulie

it usually does, but sometimes (as written above) there can be nuances.  

Once I bought a Nokia 710 from Rogers, but I had an account/phone# with Fido.  most items worked except for MMS.  And nothing Rogers or Fido could do.  

So YMMV....    You might be best to pick your model phone that you like from Telus or Koodo and then check forums in PublicMobile and see if anyone has reported issues with it.

@convolutionx wrote:

Yes, a  Telus iPhone will work on Public Mobile without the need for unlocking.    In general, phones from Telus and Koodo work with each other's sim cards interchangablyy, as well as Public Mobile.  There are some exceptions.  I once had a Koodo phone in my hand that asked for the network unlock code after inserting a Telus sim card.

As for the Rogers and Fido, Rogers locked iPhones do not work with Fido sim cards, and Fido locked iPhones do not work with Rogers sim cards.  Once again, there are rare exceptions.  In my case, I was once in possession of an iPhone device that was carrier locked to 2 different carriers, both Rogers and Fido (but did not work with Bell or Telus sim cards).  I only saw that once with Rogers and Fido iPhone devices.

As for Rogers and Fido sim cards working in the other brand's devices, newer devices do usually work with both brands' sim cards.    iPhone devices are the notable exception, and there are also many older devices that were sold by Rogers and Fido that will not work on both Rogers and Fido unless you unlock them.

Need Help? Let's chat.