cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to unlock a Telus smartphone before coming to PM? Help please.

bunny
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I got a Telus phone, Nokia Lumia 620, wondering if I have to unlock it before heading to PM? I  entered the IMEI code on the PM website, it showed the phone is compatible to PM network, but do I still have to call Telus to unlock my phone?

Any help & advice are welcome,

Thanks for your time

11 REPLIES 11

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @bunny,

You're quite welcome. It was my pleasure replying to your post.

Cheers.

Hi @bunny, no problem at all

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
That's so great to hear @bunny you'll love it here with us 🙂

bunny
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@ Kall_A Thanks for editting my original message.

I really appreciate all of your advice from the bottom of my heart 🙂 , your prompt responses made me feel welcomed in the PM community, your actions have convinced me to join PM.

@Martin  @makkahn28 @syed_milad @TroyDaBes @Rockdaddy22

THANK YOU

Yes, if porting from Telus or Koodo Prepaid, Not sure 100% on the Postpaid, use different email just for porting, then when all is well, edit email to your preferred choice

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @IWIK,

Thank you for adding to my post about the need to change one's Telus email address before porting to PM. Much appreciated!

Hi @bunny,

Thank you for removing your IMEI number.

With regard to changing the email address that you use with Telus, it's necessary because Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile use the same computer server space. It would be best if you were to change your Telus address, and then use the "old" one as your new Public Mobile address. In this way, you should have no problems when porting, as far as addresses are concerned.

Though early, welcome to Public Mobile and our community!

Cheers.

syed_milad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Cell phone with TELUS and KODOO do not require to be unlocked to work in PUBLIC MOBILE network

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Like what others said, you don't need to unlock your phone to be able to use Public Mobile. Any phone from Koodo and Telus will definitely work with Public Mobile. 

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Just activated a Telus locked iPhone5c the other day, not a problem. I hope you take the plunge and join us 🙂

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Martin is right witht the compatability.

But be aware of the Telus to PM switch issues, as I understand it using the same email. Namely don't use the same email. I switched from Bell so I have no first hand experience.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @bunny,

Phones, which are compatible with the Telus or Koodo networks, do not require any unlocking in order to be fully functional on Public Mobile's network. The reason is that all 3 carriers use the same network, namely, Telus'.

You will, however, require a PM SIM card, which can be ordered free of charge from the homepage.

Lastly, you should edit your post to delete your IMEI number. Its presence serves no purpose here. Further, this is a public, not private, forum which the Google search bot regularly visits to *permanently* record all new information.

Though early, welcome to Public Mobile!
Need Help? Let's chat.