cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datawitness PM counting MMS data

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Is there a way to stop Data Witness PM from counting MMS data? I send a ton of MMS and its wrecking my available data where it is no longer useful software.

I could exclude messenger as there is a section for "excluded apps" but it says "This feature is not yet supported on this version of andriod".

Is there a way around this? Or does the guy just have to update the software? Last update was 15 months ago.

18 REPLIES 18

App has still not updated, the developer is AWAL. If they ever come back they could also add the ability to use add-on data without having base plan data for those of us with the $10 plan.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

Me too, also skype.  The messages for web function is not available in all SMS apps.  There are limitations. 

@will13am interesting, I didn't realize Skype had a web interface!  I've always just used the Windows Store app on my laptop and the Android app on my phone.  I might try replacing the Windows app with the web app in a tab similar to how I use WhatsApp.  I would do the same with Messages (the Google SMS app) like you do as well except that I so rarely send or receive an SMS/MMS message that it's not worth keeping a tab open for it.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Generally, I favor a platform that is carrier agnostic.  I don't want to carry my phone around the house.  I want to be able to read my messages on the computer, tablet or whatever device is handy.  I have to say that when the android messages for web function was added, it improved my feelings about SMS a lot.

@will13am oh yeah, I keep WhatsApp web open in a tab all day at work too.  Pretty handy.

Me too, also skype.  The messages for web function is not available in all SMS apps.  There are limitations. 

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

Generally, I favor a platform that is carrier agnostic.  I don't want to carry my phone around the house.  I want to be able to read my messages on the computer, tablet or whatever device is handy.  I have to say that when the android messages for web function was added, it improved my feelings about SMS a lot.

@will13am oh yeah, I keep WhatsApp web open in a tab all day at work too.  Pretty handy.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@RobertQc wrote:

I have others messengers but they are bloated and rarely open them and the ones I actually like I don't know anyone that uses. How many people do you know use telegram?

@RobertQc  Telegram?--zero personally.  But I have a ton of contacts on WhatsApp (my preferred choice), Facebook Messenger (a bloated mess as you describe--though, have you tried the Lite version? much less so!), and a few on Skype (also has a Lite version with far less bloat).

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc, are you trying to DDOS the data network 300KB at a time?  I don't send MMS, but I do find the datawitness app to not be a perfect match to the official data meter.  The amount of difference can vary and so there must be other apps that don't play nice with datawitness.  It is close enough as a ball park indicator.  There is always the warning text messages. 

@will13amI configured my MMS as 1000kb, not 300kb. It's 2019. Carriers support higher than 300kb now. Telus supports MMS photo's up to 3.5mb.

I send and receive a lot of MMS. Typically in the 300mb range monthly, and considering I have 1.5GB for 90 days thats 900MB over 90 days. This is more than half. Its a huge discrepancy.

Wow you hang onto the old technology!  I rarely use my texting app. 

@will13am  Hah, to each their own right!

On a keyboard based messenger platform I don't think "new technology" has improved much outside of flooding my screen with advertisments, suggestions, "trending things", links to buy, buttons to share things I do not want to, etc.

I don't need to see when someone is typing nor do I need to see the time they read the message. I actually QKSMS instead of the stock andriod messenger its a pretty clean open sourced ad free messenger.

I have others messengers but they are bloated and rarely open them and the ones I actually like I don't know anyone that uses. How many people do you know use telegram?

To answer your question, not enough.  I like telegram and signal for their privacy features.  Generally, I favor a platform that is carrier agnostic.  I don't want to carry my phone around the house.  I want to be able to read my messages on the computer, tablet or whatever device is handy.  I have to say that when the android messages for web function was added, it improved my feelings about SMS a lot.

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc, are you trying to DDOS the data network 300KB at a time?  I don't send MMS, but I do find the datawitness app to not be a perfect match to the official data meter.  The amount of difference can vary and so there must be other apps that don't play nice with datawitness.  It is close enough as a ball park indicator.  There is always the warning text messages. 

@will13amI configured my MMS as 1000kb, not 300kb. It's 2019. Carriers support higher than 300kb now. Telus supports MMS photo's up to 3.5mb.

I send and receive a lot of MMS. Typically in the 300mb range monthly, and considering I have 1.5GB for 90 days thats 900MB over 90 days. This is more than half. Its a huge discrepancy.

@will13am  Hah, to each their own right!

On a keyboard based messenger platform I don't think "new technology" has improved much outside of flooding my screen with advertisments, suggestions, "trending things", links to buy, buttons to share things I do not want to, etc.

I don't need to see when someone is typing nor do I need to see the time they read the message. I actually QKSMS instead of the stock andriod messenger its a pretty clean open sourced ad free messenger.

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@will13am  PS that is only sending/receiving five or so 1mb pictures per day. Definitly no where near denial of service attack numbers 😛

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Buzzee24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Okay! Thanks so much for the info, I have 5GB so I figure I'll be okay even if the 30 days doesn't line up perfectly but I should probably download it just in case.

srlawren

@Buzzee24 wrote:

I just switched to PM this month but I always found the data monitor on my android to do a fairly accurate job while I was with Koodo, I have a Samsung A5 should I be installing Datawitness instead? I may wait a month and see how it goes

@Buzzee24 the built in data monitor doesn't play too well with Public Mobile plans.  The reason is that the Android data monitor works with "monthly" plans, where your cycle start date stays the same month after month.  Public Mobile plans are either 30 or 90 days.  The 30 day plans aren't too bad except that you have to manually adjust the cycle start date regularly to match up with the floating renewal date.  90 day plans are much harder to deal with as the data amount is spread out over 90 days yet the built-in monitor can only handle a calendar month at a time.  

Buzzee24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just switched to PM this month but I always found the data monitor on my android to do a fairly accurate job while I was with Koodo, I have a Samsung A5 should I be installing Datawitness instead? I may wait a month and see how it goes

@srlawren wrote:

@RobertQc you're right that it hasn't been updated in a while.  It's possible something was changed in newer version(s) of Android that is cauing it not to ignore MMS usage.  What version are you on?  Pie?  Oreo?  Nougat?  Marshmallow?  

@IWIK are you still around or have you moved on to another provider maybe?

@srlawren  Pie

Its the "excluded apps" section. Normally I could just select .andriod.apps.messaging but it won't load the list.

Screenshot_Data_Witness_PM_20190310-170911.jpg

srlawren

@RobertQc you're right that it hasn't been updated in a while.  It's possible something was changed in newer version(s) of Android that is cauing it not to ignore MMS usage.  What version are you on?  Pie?  Oreo?  Nougat?  Marshmallow?  

@IWIK are you still around or have you moved on to another provider maybe?

@srlawren wrote:

@RobertQc I don't use it any more (after moving to Koodo last spring), but did you check through the guide I did a while back?  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-And... Maybe I answered it there?  

@srlawren  Excellent guide, unfortunately it does not as the app is not functioning as intended. 

srlawren

@RobertQc I don't use it any more (after moving to Koodo last spring), but did you check through the guide I did a while back?  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-And... Maybe I answered it there?  

Need Help? Let's chat.