cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage and MMS texts

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I was just checking the usage in my secondary lines account and noticed 2 "web" events at the exact same time as a MMS text I sent accidently....this is on a dual SIM phone and all the settings are set to SIM card 1 but occasionally  if it's a phone number I haven't used recently it will pop up SIM card 2 on the text and when I try to switch it ...it will send instead. Not a big deal even though it's the $10 plan but it does have my 1gb data bonus from pm on it. (Woohoo yes it is 4G!) But the data is locked to SIM card 1 on my phone. I have not used the data bonus at all but it had about 5kb used when switched to the $10 plan and I wrote it off as ghost data. So why suddenly when I accidentally sent the picture did 0.006mb and 0.085mb of "web" data usage be recorded at the same time as the MMS? When I look under data usage in my phone under apps 364kb is used for the android OS and 6.37kb under Google play services....the previous ghost data had equalled lesser amounts in those apps as well. All other apps are restricted.  Is the MMS using my data when it should not?

13 REPLIES 13

@ShawnC13  Thank you. You chose correctly.

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13  Thank you I would appreciate if you would correct my solution to @will13am  which completely answers my question in regards to it being a dual SIM phone. I had looked for the unmark solution option and it is not there...thats where I thought it should be...I as getting worried about my memory for a minute there.

@darlicious , done and I do believe I got the correct post it was Williams first in this thread

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13  Thank you I would appreciate if you would correct my solution to @will13am  which completely answers my question in regards to it being a dual SIM phone. I had looked for the unmark solution option and it is not there...thats where I thought it should be...I as getting worried about my memory for a minute there.

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  Thank you. Even though I had included the dual SIM info....thinking it had to be related my brain edited it out when accepting the solution. I was feeling a little stupid asking a question I knew the answer to....but had a nagging feeling because the data leakage was not consistent. So yes you have hit the nail on the head. Now if I can remember how to edit the solution.....?

I am just poking you to make sure you haven't fallen asleep in the lonely tent.  I don't care how you mark solutions, you are the OP and if you think the answer is right then it is right. 

@will13am  Lol...that might be a little more apt than you know! But I do care how I mark solutions as I want them to be as correct as possible. While @cellphoneuser1 answer is correct to a single sim phone it is not the complete answer as was yours when taking in consideration a dual SIM phone.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  Thank you. Even though I had included the dual SIM info....thinking it had to be related my brain edited it out when accepting the solution. I was feeling a little stupid asking a question I knew the answer to....but had a nagging feeling because the data leakage was not consistent. So yes you have hit the nail on the head. Now if I can remember how to edit the solution.....?

I am just poking you to make sure you haven't fallen asleep in the lonely tent.  I don't care how you mark solutions, you are the OP and if you think the answer is right then it is right. 

@darlicious wrote:

@darlicious editing a post can be done with the 3 dots in the corner.  As the OP you should also have the option to mark the post not solution if you have found that there is a better answer to your question.  If the unmark solution is not there I or any other Oracle can unmark it for you if you need that.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Although I can't explain the details of the accounting, I did confirm with my own phone after my data allotment had been completely used and Internet access stopped, that I was still able to send and receive MMS messages.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious , you accepted a solution before someone who also uses a dual SIM phone weighs in with their explanation.  It goes like this.  All dual SIM phones are dual standby which requires the user to define which SIM data is coming from.  Once a selection is made, the other SIM is disabled as far as data is concerned.  To do MMS, you have to enable the SIM associated with the account that you want to send the MMS.  When data is enabled on a SIM, the OS will react and do a few sync checks and there's your data leakage.  Totally unavoidable unless you firewall this activity.  You don't really want to do that because it's not done at the SIM card level.  I have the same issue myself.  I am using data from a tablet plan to augment my Public Mobile data because 4GB per 30 days is starting to be a challenge.  I refuse to switch to a 3G speed plan out of principle and cost.  It's way cheaper my way and I get to enjoy 21st century technology.  

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@cellphoneuser1  Agreed so what would be using it if all data is set to the other SIM card and I was at home on WiFi?

Shouldn't happen but members see a small amount of a few MB get used when data is turned off.

@cellphoneuser1  Yes it does seem that a small amount I used when disconnecting and a larger amount when reconnecting but does not show up in the data usage section only in the usage history. Thanks

@darlicious wrote:

@cellphoneuser1  Agreed so what would be using it if all data is set to the other SIM card and I was at home on WiFi?

Shouldn't happen but members see a small amount of a few MB get used when data is turned off.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious MMS data use doesn't use your data plan or data add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.