cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

Wils0720
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I signed up with Public yesterday. My texting and calling is working, but when i try to use the internet it says not connected. The phone says my data is turned on. Ive tried restarting the phone and taking the sim card out and putting it back in. Help!

14 REPLIES 14

Thanks @srlawren Will permalink and use this if I see this problem. 

sweden06
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@srlawren wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@ShawnC13 thanks, had no idea about the LG G series problems. So I recommend a moderator since @Wils0720  eliminated the obvious suggestions in the OP.

@gblackma the LG G series is one particular problem.  However, in general, data issues do NOT require moderator intervention.  They most often fall into one of these:

Existing customer, data was working, stopped suddenly

- most often means they have used up all their data.  Diagnose by getting them to check if they have any data showing on Overview page.  If line is gone, so is their data.

- also possible: accidentally toggled off mobile data in quick settings

New customer, data hasn't worked yet

- possible cause: LG phone (most G-series, even some other models) need network reset, and failing that, factory reset to get data flowing

- possible cause: many ASUS models, many Polaroid models, and some other various Android models need APN set manually

- possible cause: older iPhones need a special procedure to set APN via a site browsed over Wi-Fi

All of these three items can be narrowed down by asking the user their brand and model

I'm probably missing a few others, but the point is, most often, data not working is a user issue, not a PM moderator issue.  

Nothing to add here. Very well explained!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gblackma wrote:

@ShawnC13 thanks, had no idea about the LG G series problems. So I recommend a moderator since @Wils0720  eliminated the obvious suggestions in the OP.

@gblackma the LG G series is one particular problem.  However, in general, data issues do NOT require moderator intervention.  They most often fall into one of these:

Existing customer, data was working, stopped suddenly

- most often means they have used up all their data.  Diagnose by getting them to check if they have any data showing on Overview page.  If line is gone, so is their data.

- also possible: accidentally toggled off mobile data in quick settings

New customer, data hasn't worked yet

- possible cause: LG phone (most G-series, even some other models) need network reset, and failing that, factory reset to get data flowing

- possible cause: many ASUS models, many Polaroid models, and some other various Android models need APN set manually

- possible cause: older iPhones need a special procedure to set APN via a site browsed over Wi-Fi

All of these three items can be narrowed down by asking the user their brand and model

I'm probably missing a few others, but the point is, most often, data not working is a user issue, not a PM moderator issue.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Wils0720

I have a Sony Xperia xz2

@gblackma Good idea.

@Wils0720 

Before you mark your solution, please indicate which phone you are using.

If calls and text are working, but not mobile data, the usual culprit is your APN settings.

So @Wils0720 select this as your solution, so that someone else with a similar problem can find it,

@Wils0720 wrote:

Make sure data is turned on and also check to make sure you have the correct APN setting. This is the Public Mobile APN setting that you will need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

Wils0720

Make sure data is turned on and also check to make sure you have the correct APN setting. This is the Public Mobile APN setting that you will need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

Way to go @Wils0720 . Could you please post a linke to this thread here? Fmi, I would like to know what the solution was. Thanks.

@Wils0720 wrote:

I ended up finding a thread that gave me the answer. Thanks though!

Wils0720

I ended up finding a thread that gave me the answer. Thanks though!

@gblackma wrote:

@Wils0720 contact a moderator and explain your situation . Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon. Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one ( CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket 

@Wils0720 wrote:

Hello, 

I signed up with Public yesterday. My texting and calling is working, but when i try to use the internet it says not connected. The phone says my data is turned on. Ive tried restarting the phone and taking the sim card out and putting it back in. Help!

@gblackma, this is a situation where we can help and narrow down the issue for the OP.  We should try to eliminate as many questions that a Moderator will ask and most of the time a situation like this can be resolved by advice from the community so we should try to get a resolution that way first.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Wils0720 wrote:

Hello, 

What type of phone are you using.  If you are using an LG it is a known issue where it would require a network reset and if that doesn't work it will need a system reset.  Do you know if your phone has the correct LTE Bands to have internet and have you verified the APN settings?  

Here is a great site to setup your APN and instructions on how to do it.  Find the APN Settings for Public Mobile here!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Wils0720 contact a moderator and explain your situation . Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon. Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one ( CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket 

@Wils0720 wrote:

Hello, 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Wils0720 wrote:

Hello, 

@Wils0720  If you have an LG G series phone it will require a network reset to get data working. If not, what type of phone are you using?

Need Help? Let's chat.