cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

Mikegurnham
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looking for some help.  Yesterday morning my data just stopped working and still isn't.  It worked fine before that.  It still says 3G at the top but there is no connection.  I can send and receive SMS so there is service.

Another issue is that when the data is working I can't send or receive MMS.  Pictures won't download.

Thsnks

Mike

28 REPLIES 28

Mikegurnham

So it appears to be fixed.  I had the APN settings correct but I reset them and created a new one (exactly the same) and now it's working.  Strange but I'll take it.  I appreciate all the help!

@Mikegurnham

As you wait for moderator, I know that you already did network reset and checked APN Settings.....  Did you try the lost/stolen phone trick as recommended earlier?  Might even consider a factory reset ?

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What kind of phone are you using?

This is strange.  The APN settings for Telus and PM *should* be identical.

ive not read through this thread, have you checked your APN settings?  

Mikegurnham

My brother is on Telus.  It is really weird.  I did a system update recently but the data worked for a few days after I did the update. Then it just stopped.

@Mikegurnham

That is interesting. 

Does your brother also use Public Mobile or another telecom company? 

So, it still might be a setting issue with your phone if your public mobile SIM card worked in his phone.  Did your phone do a system update recently?  

Mikegurnham

So I am even more confused now.  I switched sim cards with my brothers phone.  His sim card had data connection in my phone, but my sim card had data connection in his phone. So the issue is my sim card in my phone? I'm even more confused now than before.

Mikegurnham

@Dunkman wrote:

@Mikegurnham

If your data is not working, you will likley need to contact moderator, but expect 2-3 day wait.  Have you tried putting your sim card into another phone as suggested above?  If no data in the other phone, then Public Mobile service issue and need to contact moderator....

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please include in the private message your phone number, your account number and PIN code.

I did contaco a moderator yesterday, thank you.  I'll just wait for them to respond. Have not had an opportunity to switch Sim cards with a different phone.

Thanks for the help.

@Mikegurnham

If your data is not working, you will likley need to contact moderator, but expect 2-3 day wait.  Have you tried putting your sim card into another phone as suggested above?  If no data in the other phone, then Public Mobile service issue and need to contact moderator....

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please include in the private message your phone number, your account number and PIN code.

Stews

If you have an iPhone please go into your settings, scroll down to your browser icon (for example google) and check that the switch cellular data is enabled.  🙂

Mikegurnham

I did not run out of data, I've got over 2gb left on this cycle.  I turned off the phone, removed the sim card, turned back on, reset network settings, the APN is correct and was working until yesterday. Then it just stopped and I made no changes at all.  This is really irritating.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Did the pho e reach a data limit thus stops data?

@Degus222 wrote:

I keep telling my gf to talk to her provider because of this.

Remenber APN settings have to be set and enabled as well as MMS enabled if the phone has that option.

EDIT: On an iPhone, MMS settings is in settings under messaging!

Degus222
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I keep telling my gf to talk to her provider because of this.

@Degus222 wrote:

Thanks for the correction on my wifi and data comment :-). I never tried with PM I just know my GF virgin account and my parents Rogers won't get MMS on wifi need to be connected to (not use) data.

If the carrier includes MMS with the normal sms (text) packaging then it will work even though there is no data plan and in PM's case they allow it.

Degus222

Thanks for the correction on my wifi and data comment :-). I never tried with PM I just know my GF virgin account and my parents Rogers won't get MMS on wifi need to be connected to (not use) data.

@Mikegurnham wrote:

All apn settings are correct I have checked mutliple times. And I have over 2gb of days left on this cycle.

Here are the MMS procedure for MMS on a phone like yours. Hopefully its the same and it helps.

https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/xiaomi/redmi-note/android-4-2/guides/27/Set-up-MMS-Xiaom...

As far as MMS working on wifi, as opposed to what was mentioned earlier it will work on wifi without data, however even if you do not have data you still need to have data set up and activated.

Also give this a try it woeks on a lot of account related issues. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/SOLUTION-My-plan-has-enough-f...

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

lightcycle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can you borrow someone else's phone and put your SIM in their phone? And put their SIM in your phone while you're at it?

That should pinpoint the problem as to whether it's the SIM/plan or the phone.

Mikegurnham

All apn settings are correct I have checked mutliple times. And I have over 2gb of days left on this cycle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mikegurnham most likely you have used up your data. Typical cause of data stopping to work.

As for MMs are your Apn settings correct?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mikegurnham, by chance did you make a change to phone settings.  Did you check the APN settings to make sure that it's correct and ensure mobile data is turned on?

Degus222

I found this article below see if that helps. It has to do with wifi issues. MIght be linked.

https://www.getdroidtips.com/wifi-issue-redmi-5-plus/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mikegurnham, When you log into your self serve portal, under plan details, it should tell you how much data you have left for the current cycle.  If it doesn't show anything, then you are out of data.  Any chance that's you case?

Mikegurnham

It's a xiaomi redmi 5 plus.  I don't know if it could be the phone because it was working fine until yesterday.

Degus222

what kinda phone is it?

Mikegurnham

Tried turnong wifi off and it doesn't work.  Now

my data doesn't even work.

Degus222

I assume you tried powering it down and if possible removing the battery and leaving it off for 1min.

Degus222

Are you connected to WIFI? Make sure WIFI is off it might be trying to use wifi but isnt getting the data it wants.

Pic message (least for other providers) need to have a data connect and wont sent when wifi is on. 

Need Help? Let's chat.