cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working on two phones (iPhone 5 and iPhone XR)

lucy47yao
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, 

Two people in my family who are on Public Mobile's $25 for 30 days plan are unable to access data on their phones (an iPhone 5 and iPhone XR). The plans both have 1GB data + 1GB promo (2GB total) and as per the usage info provided by Public Mobile online, neither person has come close to using 2GB of data for the 30 day period. 

Both phones have been restarted but nothing changed. 

Thanks,
Lucy

22 REPLIES 22

lucy47yao

@GinYVR , taking out the SIM card and re-inserting it did the trick! (the software update may have helped in the process as well...decided to first update the software before taking out the SIM). 

Thanks everyone for your help! 

@SomeFriendYup it is for illustrative purposes. There are so many repeats of this question it is easier to use a screen capture as an answer.

ecowen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

We already tried all that.  Only the factory reset worked.

@lucy47yao Sorry; one more thought. PM had some recent issues with data buckets not resetting properly just after renewal. So, if those accounts recently renewed get a support ticket:

1. click https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ or the ? on the lower right of this page,

2. enter "refund",

3. click "Contact us",

4. click "Submit ticket",

5. login (manually if your username/password are not filled in),

6. click the drop down menu (in the white area),

7. pick the topic that fits your issue and follow the directions to submit it,

8. If none of the topics are correct click Other/Something Else until you reach the blank form

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@lucy47yao Sorry if you've checked this already; as the thread extends I lose track sometimes.

Anyway, it is quite odd to have two separate accounts malfunction at the same time; especially as they have different OS's.

I just checked my iPhone and it's fine. Do calling/texting work normally and can you connect to the 'net on wifi? Try turning off LTE in case it's some local network issue.

Swapping SIMs between the phones might reveal some useful news.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lucy47yao wrote:

Thanks @CalgaryBen , I gave the page you linked a quick read but it doesn't apply in this case.

Okay... regardless, the quick/easy fix might simply to follow the provided suggestion: Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings --> (passcode if prompted) --> Reset Network Settings (to confirm)

The downside to this is you'll have to re-establish WiFi credentials, etc., but it does resolve cellular data issues about 95% of the time.

lucy47yao

Thanks @CalgaryBen , I gave the page you linked a quick read but it doesn't apply in this case.

CalgaryBen

@lucy47yao wrote:

They have been on Public Mobile's $25 for 30 days plan for several months now with no previous issues relating to data.

@lucy47yao do you know if they've recently installed any data usage profiling utilities, or profiles due to traveling, or VPN for any reason?  In any case, take a look at this post which might provide proper guidance.  I don't think this post applies, but have a look to make sure.

88cranston

@ecowen wrote:

My husband and I both have iPhine 5s's.  When I joined Public I couldn't get data to work so I called Apple Support, (which is free,  https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=cups&SG=SG003) and they couldn't help but they did send me to an Apple tech.  He had to factory reset the phone.  Now it works well.  My husband is having the same issue now that he has data and I'm working on it with Apple Support but no luck yet.  We'll probably have to reset it to factory settings.  I lost all my apps, but everything else remained.  The apps were easy to replace.  Hope this helps.

You could have backed up your phones on iTunes or the cloud, do a factory reset, then restore. And you would be back in business although you may have to provide passwords for emails. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lucy47yao wrote:

@Anonymous , yes exactly. They have been on Public Mobile's $25 for 30 days plan for several months now with no previous issues relating to data. Talk and text still work fine right now but for some reason it's just the data that's not working. As requested, a screenshot below of the account summary. 

Just making sure you had data in the right place.

Any OS updates? Browsing other sites? Whatever browser allowed to use cell data?

I'm not an Apple guy so other than making sure cell data mode is on (seems obvious but some report back saying that's all it was)...I'll defer to the Apple types. It was working and now not. Dunno.

Edit:  @ecowen: Your problem is a little different from the OP.

CalgaryBen is here. Read carefully. He'll have it.

PAULRANG18

Any complicated issue should be sent to a moderator by clicking ?, bottom right, and following instructions.

lucy47yao

@Anonymous , yes exactly. They have been on Public Mobile's $25 for 30 days plan for several months now with no previous issues relating to data. Talk and text still work fine right now but for some reason it's just the data that's not working. As requested, a screenshot below of the account summary. 

Public Mobile Account Overview.PNG

lucy47yao

Thanks @Dunkman, I'll give those suggestions a try! 

@lucy47yao wrote:

Hey Dunkman, 

Even if it's just 1GB of data, the usage for the 30 day period for one phone is 11MB and the for the other phone is 6.137MB. 

Thanks,

Lucy

@lucy47yao 

Just troubleshooting. Good to check if you have enough data.

Maybe then try a network reset (before trying factory reset).  Does text and talk work?  Maybe also toggle airplane mode on/ wait a few minutes/ then off.  

Trying the SIM card in a different phone is also a good idea to determine whether hardware set up issue versus PM service issue.  

lucy47yao

Thanks @ecowen, hopefully it doesn't have to get to a factory reset but I'll give it a try if nothing else works! 

lucy47yao

Hey Dunkman, 

Even if it's just 1GB of data, the usage for the 30 day period for one phone is 11MB and the for the other phone is 6.137MB. 

Thanks,

Lucy

ecowen

My husband and I both have iPhine 5s's.  When I joined Public I couldn't get data to work so I called Apple Support, (which is free,  https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=cups&SG=SG003) and they couldn't help but they did send me to an Apple tech.  He had to factory reset the phone.  Now it works well.  My husband is having the same issue now that he has data and I'm working on it with Apple Support but no luck yet.  We'll probably have to reset it to factory settings.  I lost all my apps, but everything else remained.  The apps were easy to replace.  Hope this helps.

SomeFriend

@GinYVRI just wanted to note that it doesn't appear you have the newer carrier profile installed in your iOS device.  It does depend on the device but my iPhone 7 has Public Mobile 39.0 as the installed carrier profile.

@lucy47yao 

Are you certain that the $25 plan has 2 GB data?  Was it a special promotion?  Most $25 plans has total of 1 GB data (500mb + 500 mb - with autopay).  

Check self service account to see whether there is the data counter in the add on section?  If you don't see data counter, that means that you ran out of data for this cycle.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lucy47yao wrote:

Hello, 

Two people in my family who are on Public Mobile's $25 for 30 days plan are unable to access data on their phones (an iPhone 5 and iPhone XR). The plans both have 1GB data + 1GB promo (2GB total) and as per the usage info provided by Public Mobile online, neither person has come close to using 2GB of data for the 30 day period. 

Thanks,
Lucy

So they signed up, inserted the SIM, all was working (calls/texts/data) and then for some unknown reason now data is not working. Is that about it?

Maybe post a screen snip of your overview page. Blank out personal info of course.

88cranston

@lucy47yao wrote:

Hello, 

Thanks,
Lucy

Re iPhone 5, you might want to verify. 

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210239

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@lucy47yaoGo under Settings -> General -> About and make sure the phones have latest carrier updates. Does the phones other functions ie voice works fine?

I recommend swapping the SIM card to another known working phone (perhaps at a Apple store) to narrow down whether it is a Public Mobile problem or a phone problem.

Carrier info iOSCarrier info iOS

Need Help? Let's chat.