cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working on LG G4

mpmacdonald
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've heard this can be a problem with this phone, but I was able to fiddle around with APN settings on Virgin until it suddenly started working. But none of the settings I've tried from the forums have worked yet on Public Mobile.

I've heard mods can send different configurations. Is there anything to try before I attempt the dreaded factory reset? (Side note: I did the network settings reset which, bizarrely, doesn't seem to do anything or even wipe out my wifi & APN settings.)

20 REPLIES 20

BrianD1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I also had LG G4 Data not working from the Get-Go .. Tried all the tricks mentioned here ( except the sim from a different company - None available ) . The Factory Reset worked in the end ..Thank You to all who contribute here ! This is like working with the Linux Mint community ... Love it !

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

.... between my S2 desperately needing a new battery....so it keeps turning off along with my VPN...

Just a heads up, in case you need a fix for that particular problem: https://qualitycellularparts.com/   This guy is located in Wainwright, AB, and stands behind his products. 👍 

@CannonFodderThanks for the info...doesnt have my battery in stock. Getting an original replacement battery is a little harder than I expected. I need a SM T-710 5.0 v 4000 mah.

@darlicious wrote:

.... between my S2 desperately needing a new battery....so it keeps turning off along with my VPN...

Just a heads up, in case you need a fix for that particular problem: https://qualitycellularparts.com/   This guy is located in Wainwright, AB, and stands behind his products. 👍 

@will13am  Thx for the instructions...thought I did that but who knows.... between my S2 desperately needing a new battery....so it keeps turning off along with my VPN....and my brain trying to link it all together sometimes i have good days and bad days just like pm sometimes....

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@mpmacdonald  Maybe @pm-smayer97  can shed some light n the configuration file if it's worth seeing if you can still get it from the moderators if you really don't want to do a factory reset.

The only thing I can say is that manually entering the configuration did NOT work for me (tried and very carefully verified MULTIPLE times) but getting the file installed via a text attacment from a PM Mod DID.

I double and triple checked and the content are identical... maybe there is something about the process of having that file "installed", rather than the settings being manually entered, that clears up "gremlins" caused by the way the LG G4 works (it clearly has a bug in it), the same "gremlins" that would likely also get cleared up with a phone reset, which is more drastic.

Sorry to say, about the only use good of a LG G4 is as a hand warmer.  Even the G8 is old.  

@darlicious wrote:

@mpmacdonald  Maybe @pm-smayer97  can shed some light n the configuration file if it's worth seeing if you can still get it from the moderators if you really don't want to do a factory reset.

The only thing I can say is that manually entering the configuration did NOT work for me (tried and very carefully verified MULTIPLE times) but getting the file installed via a text attacment from a PM Mod DID.

I double and triple checked and the content are identical... maybe there is something about the process of having that file "installed", rather than the settings being manually entered, that clears up "gremlins" caused by the way the LG G4 works (it clearly has a bug in it), the same "gremlins" that would likely also get cleared up with a phone reset, which is more drastic.

@darlicious wrote:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/LG-G4-Data-is-not-working-Resolved-th...

Read this post first by @pm-smayer97  it might help.

Edit: Back to crappy links...4th post in....read.

Further edit by will13am.  Three dots, select permalink, copy link, paste link, easy peasy. 

Yes, the link to go directly to my post is:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/LG-G4-Data-is-not-working-Resolved-th... (not broken)

@darliciousjust follow the instructions by @will13am to create a link directly to a specific post.

@will13amthx for the instructions...I was just about to do the same.  😉

mpmacdonald

@CannonFodder wrote:

@LovesToPM wrote:

@mpmacdonald 

I also have a LG G5 and G3. In my case, I did not need to reset network or phone.

I was able to get it working on Virgin before with no reset (after bringing it from another provider), although some people with the same phone couldn't. It may depend on how the phone was initially configured by the carrier. Bottom line is a factory reset may be required.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@mpmacdonald 

I also have a LG G5 and G3. In my case, I did not need to reset network or phone.

SURE, rub it in, that you skipped over the problematic G4!!! 😉  😆 

mpmacdonald

Didn't get anywhere with APN changes (unlike with my last provider). Did the factory reset and it worked immediately. Still fixing settings that LG Backup didn't preserve, but at least it's working.

For anyone else who might come across this thread, I've been in this situation twice and fixed it once with mysterious APN edits and this time needed the factory reset.

@mpmacdonald 

If you already have these 2 APNs setup on your phone:
- Mobile ‌Internet (sp.mb.com)
- Tethered Mobile Internet (isp.mb.com)

Make sure the settings are correct as follows:

Name :Mobile InternetTethered Mobile Internet
APN :sp.mb.comisp.mb.com
Proxy :Not setNot set
Port :Not setNot set
Username :Not setNot set
Password : Not setNot set
Server : Not setNot set
MMSC : http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmscNot set
MMSC proxy :mmscproxy.mobility.caNot set
MMS port : 8799Not set
MCC : 302302
MNC : 220220
Authentication type:NoneNone
APN type :default,mms,supldun
APN Protocol :IPv4IPv4
APN roaming :IPv4IPv4

Note that any other APN entries should be deleted.

mpmacdonald

@will13am wrote:

Network reset is the solution for LG phones.  No need to do a full factory reset.  Depending on the source of the phone, manual APN entry might be required.  The phone will display Telus as the carrier. 

I have been doing network resets, followed by reboots. I have the APN as specified by Public Mobile, but I've tried slightly tweaking the APN type as in some of the other posts (and rebooting after each). The weird thing is that network reset doesn't seem to actually do anything. I get a warning and a confirmation ("Network settings have been reset") but I still have the same APN settings, stored WiFi networks, etc., which makes we wonder if it's really doing anything.

mpmacdonald

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/LG-G4-Data-is-not-working-Resolved-th...

I've used these settings, but in the poster says they had a mod text them a configuration file, and that the configuration file worked even when manual entry of the settings did not...

@darlicious wrote:

Further edit by will13am.  Three dots, select permalink, copy link, paste link, easy peasy. 

Sorry for making a mess of your post.  It looks like permalink is broken.  Smiley Sad

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Network reset is the solution for LG phones.  No need to do a full factory reset.  Depending on the source of the phone, manual APN entry might be required.  The phone will display Telus as the carrier. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mpmacdonald wrote:

I've heard this can be a problem with this phone, but I was able to fiddle around with APN settings on Virgin until it suddenly started working. But none of the settings I've tried from the forums have worked yet on Public Mobile.

I've heard mods can send different configurations. Is there anything to try before I attempt the dreaded factory reset? (Side note: I did the network settings reset which, bizarrely, doesn't seem to do anything or even wipe out my wifi & APN settings.)

@mpmacdonald Try leaving MVNO values blank. Also, try the network reset again. Restart your phone after each change.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mpmacdonald the lg4 is known for needing a factory reset.   it is something to do with the hardware setup.  i would try a couple netwrk resets in a row.  you could also try clearing the cache (the g4 might have this option), not sure it will do anything though.  if all the above fails then a factory reset is needed.  

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

APN settings should be as followed

Screenshot_20191225_182521.jpg

If it does not work. You would have to do a factory reset. 

Need Help? Let's chat.