cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage has increased nearly tenfold since March 2020

longtimeclient
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I use my phone streaming radio while driving to cottage every weekend. Used to consume less than 100MB per day doing this. Since March 2020 seeing usage of 400MB to 800MB per day on exactly the same usage. Also, over same period, getting drop outs that weren't happening for the last 3 years either. Can this be fixed or will I be an ex-client? Thanks, Allan

15 REPLIES 15

Hmmm, not sure if re-transmitted packets are counted twice. The saving grace is that in this poor coverage scenario, very little data is being transferred to begin with.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just a side note, but be careful when driving, especially if supposed to be under lockdown from the virus... My area has ride programs out and is fining anyone who is out driving around and it's not a necessity like grocery or medication... Just FYI

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@longtimeclient, you know, instead of streaming the music on your phone, you could do the old fashion way, and just pop in a 8-track, cassette, a CD, or worse yet, the radio!

If you have time, just download your favourite songs and play those of your phone or USB thumb drive or mp3 player versus using any data to stream music. It will most definitely save you your data for better uses such as watching a flick at the cottage?

@longtimeclient wrote:

Disconnecting and reconnecting increasing data usage? That's an interesting hypothesis. How to check?

I think packet drops could count against you.  Perhaps out network guru @sheytoon can weigh in with some expert knowledge here.  

longtimeclient

Thank you. It was the phone data usage that alerted me to the increase. The streaming software hasn't changed but for sure something has. Used to be able to go monthly billing period using only 3GB tops, now it'll go to 9GB or I'll have to listen to local radio, shiver...

@longtimeclient did you ever see that koodo commercial were buddy is using his phone out in the wilderness and keeps losing his signal and ends up with the big data bill lol

longtimeclient

Disconnecting and reconnecting increasing data usage? That's an interesting hypothesis. How to check?

@longtimeclient disconnecting and reconnecting numerous time could cause that

longtimeclient

Thanks - I appreciate that fact and did suspect that could cause dropouts in areas I've never experienced them before (9 times in three hours this afternoon). But data usage?

longtimeclient

Thanks. Samsung Galaxy S7 - wifi at cottage. Not using it at cottage, just from here to there on the highway.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@longtimeclient , there is not much you can do if your streaming app is consuming that much data.  I am not sure how switching providers makes any difference. Check the setting in the app and try using a lower bit rate.  One thing you can do is check the data usage registered on the phone to see if it is matching to that shown in the self serve.  As for the spotty network performance, it is possible that changes in customer usage patterns have cause abnormal network loading never seen before.  There are only 2 nation wide networks, Bellus and Rogers.  So, there is not a lot to choose from.  

longtimeclient

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm always hesitant to accept upgrades on software that's working to my satisfaction and generally won't unless forced - especially since my radio software has been free for about the 6-7 years I've been using it (risky to change). But, I'll investigate on next trip Sunday. But if you're correct then I guess I'll need a more stable provider. I'm with PM because Freedom mobile dropped out too often when I started travelling there.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@longtimeclient all cell phone companies systems are overloaded these days because of the pandemic most of us are self isolating that would probably explain the drop outs .

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Some setting has to have changed on your phone @longtimeclient,   check your phone data usage to see what app may be the culprit. What's the make and model of your phone? Thanks. Do you have WiFi  at the cottage? Thanks.

BenjaminQC

@longtimeclient Is it possible there was an update to your radio app that increased the streaming bandwidth? If you went from 64kbps to 192kbps, it's normal your data usage went up. Also, if the new bitrate is higher, it's possible the connection has more trouble supporting it than when it was lower. I'm just speculating here to give you possible culprits!

Need Help? Let's chat.