cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Blocked on WiFi

FeeFieFoe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Why is my data being blocked on my phone when I'm on a mobile wifi Hotspot? I didn't realized I'd gone over my data limit (since topped up), but shouldn't it be fine when I'm connected to wifi? Also, how long does it take to unblock data after you've topped up? 

10 REPLIES 10

@FeeFieFoe Forgetful, rather than idiotic, I think. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@FeeFieFoe wrote:

Sorry, I'm an idiot. I wasn't attached to the WiFi device after all. Took out the SIM to test and found the obvious. Thanks everyone for helping!

All's well that ends well.

Some apps will not handle the "data on but out of data" situation well, and may just hang trying to connect. The browser may redirect to the site informing you that you're out of data, but apps don't handle that.

I've found that if you know your data has been used up, if you disable your mobile data apps will then generally show their connection failure messages immediately instead of hanging for a long time or forever...

FeeFieFoe

Sorry, I'm an idiot. I wasn't attached to the WiFi device after all. Took out the SIM to test and found the obvious. Thanks everyone for helping!

[Yep, if you want to use wifi phone must be set to it 🙂  ........  Luddite]

@FeeFieFoe Fom👍. It should be right away. The data transistion should be seamless. Is everything else working properly on the phone? Calls,  mms texting etc. Thanks. Try putting your phone on aeroplane mode for 5 minutes. Take it off and restart. Stay safe. 

FeeFieFoe

Seems to be a redirect on the default browser going to Public Mobile saying data has run out. Phone is blocked for email browsing Instagram what-have-you even when it's on WiFi.

FeeFieFoe

nope - I have a bell MiFi and am connecting my phone to it - still no luck getting data on the phone.

FeeFieFoe

ya - no, no data limit. Re-set network settings, set up a new APN, took out the SIM, turned it off and on, restarted the Google app. I work as a tech writer so I've tried all the usual suspects. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@FeeFieFoe  Check your device to make sure you haven't setup a data limit.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@FeeFieFoe , if you run a mobile hotspot, you consume mobile data.  If you have used up all your data, then you will no longer be able to run a hotspot.  

Need Help? Let's chat.